RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WFN vs. Keith style

Boolit Buddy

WFN vs. Keith style

Again as pertains to .44 mag revolver.
    In your opinions/experience is one preferable over the other in terms of accuracy? How about in terms of performance on game?
    Thanks in advance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think the meplat on the WFN is larger than the Keith. I measured a .44 WFN the other day and the meplat was something like 70% of bullet diameter.

Boolit Master
    I'd be surprised that there'd be enough difference to matter. Some years back I took the Lee 310 and milled the top of the mold off to remove the gas check shank. Ended with a bullet of about 250 grains. I've used that bullet to kill several deer with out of an NEF 44 Mag at 1270 FPS and several more out of two different muzzle loaders at ~1700 fps The WFN works well but again I doubt that it's any better or worse a killer than Keith's SWC.

The thing one must keep in mind with large caliber bullets at velocities around 1500 fps is that they kill by creating blood loss. They are not hydrostatic shockers, bullet placement is everything.

Boolit Master
    Makes you wonder about rotational balance and other variables. Does one boolit fly better than another? I have gotten excellent accuracy from both types in .44's. Lately i have been trying this one out;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-300S.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	295856 Got a 4" off hand group at 50 yards with it a couple days back. 15 grains of 2400. Ran out of 2400 so I loaded some over 18 of WW296.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-07-2022 at 04:14 AM.

I have shot deer with Keith's and Ranch Dogs. They died.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of like the old Chevy PU vs a Ford PU discussion.....which is "best' depends on which one you've been influenced and talked into by others, ads and spent your money on.

As to performance, in reality, they'll both get you down the road equally well........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I think Elmer Keith promoted the wide flat nose boolit because it killed game better than the round nose boolits that were then common. It seems he was correct. Nowadays mould makers are following his lead and some are making their meplats even bigger than the Keith boolits. Whichever you choose it seems they both work and for the same reasons. The flat meplat creates adisplacement of liquids that a round nose doesn't. Since meat is mostly liquid it is no wonder they work well.

The cast boolits penetrate well because they are usually tougher than many jacketed ones. The flat meplat causes more tissue damage than a round nose or pointed boolit does. It is up to the person who casts the boolit to decide on an alloy that will produce the results desired. That is why I am one of those exploring powder coating boolits. I have been doing it with softer alloys than conventionally lubricated boolits. I am anxious to try powder coating with my new .358 diametsr 200 grain HP boolits from my NOE mould. I have been casting them with 98% COWW and 2% tin. They deform pretty easily.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    WFN bullets are much more accurate, especially as speeds increase past supersonic. I think this is mostly due to ballistic coefficient. The lower BC of the SWC makes a small breath of wind blow your bullets at 100 yards. For example a 158 SWC from 357 rifle at 2000 fps vs 158 WFN. BC is .11 vs .17. Retained velocity is 1360 vs 1550 at 100 yards. Wind drift with a 10 mph cross wind is 5.5" vs 3.3". A small breath of cross wind will move the SWC and give you larger groups than the same small breath of cross wind with a WFN. I have never had SWCs near 2000 fps with less than a 4" group and 5-6" groups are more common at 100 yards. At the same time, a 158 WFN at 2000+ fps shoots 1.5-2.5" for 10 shots at 100 yards with more retained energy and better shot placement.

Boolit Grand Master
    I get about 2.5" groups @100yds with the 358156 boolit at around 2500fps out of my 357max. rifle. Brass life was short at that level though

Boolit Mold
    He championed the large meplat but he was also sold on the ballistics of the SWC and his designs combined both pricipals.

Moderator Emeritus

Both are dependent on your gun. If you have any misalignment the edge of a swc can be deformed, less so on a wfn unless the misalignment is enough to wipe down the side of the bullet. Both are more accurate than almost all shooters, both are game killers. It has been proven more than once the the top band of a swc disrupts no flesh or cuts nothing in paper. I shoot and like both in a couple of calibers. I have only a keith style in a couple and don't feel the need to change there. No absolutes to find here.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I have more SWC designs than WFN, but recently got one each for my .357, .44, and .45, so hopefully I'll be able to chime in with experience on game soon. As to paper accuracy, I think both outshoot me, which doesn't help the discussion much other than that I need more practice.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    I have more SWC designs than WFN, but recently got one each for my .357, .44, and .45, so hopefully I'll be able to chime in with experience on game soon. As to paper accuracy, I think both outshoot me, which doesn't help the discussion much other than that I need more practice.
    What exactly does WFN stand for? How does if differ from a Kieth bullet?

WFN= wide flat nose. I guess someone tested the WFN against the SWC and came to the conclusion that the WFN created a bigger wound channel. They said that the SWC wound channel size was more inline with the size of the front of the bullet, and not the large shoulder behind it. As far as accuracy goes, to me, each bullet is different. I have had SWC bullets that shot very accurately from my revolvers, and the same goes for some WFN bullets. I have had the best accuracy with LFN bullets(long flat nose). As noted from above, they will all kill if you put it where it needs to go.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    What exactly does WFN stand for? How does if differ from a Kieth bullet?
    The Lee 430-310 and the 358-158 RFN are both WFN designs. There are a lot of variations on the theme of SWC, but the Lyman 429421 and the true(er) copies by folks like boutique mold makers like NOE, Arsenal and others. The Lee 358 and 44 caliber SWC is not a copy of the Keith design.

Boolit Master
    In a revolver that will not be used for timed competition, but for hunting instead, I'D be inclined to go with a Keith-style projectile, unless the WFN shoots MUCH much better. For all its wonderful terminal effects, Keith-style and SWC projectiles tend to make it difficult to reload an empty cylinder in a hurry. SWCs also tend to hang and bind on the sharp edges and surfaces of the feedway. I get far less of either when using WFNs in a revolver or lever gun, especially in timed events.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

The older hands are welcome to correct me, but I believe it was Veral Smith that originated the terms LFN (Long Flat Nose) and WFN (Wide Flat Nose)

Going from memory here, the meplat on the "True" Keith .44 bullet is .27"

Veral pitched his 250 grain LFN with it's .30" meplat as the Keith's upgrade/replacement. His logic was that the Keith already penetrated more than it really needed to; his extra meplat added to the terminal effect; and since the LFN placed more lead forward of the case, you could fit in more powder, drive it harder, and not really lose any penetration anyway.

I believe Veral's WFN / .44 formula puts the meplat at .34". The 260 to 280 grain versions of this will be a SERIOUS can of whupass, but due to having the aerodynamic profile of a school bus, they will not have the downrange trajectory of the other two. For what most NORMAL folks will be doing for a handgun shot, this is probably your best bet. If you seriously intend to play beyond 100 yards, the LFN will be the better choice.

Next question: do you intend to shoot it in a carbine of any kind? In that case, nose length begins to become a problem when compared with the space allowed by Ruger or Smith cylinders.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    I've gotten better accuracy out of the Keith type bullets my lbt mold is accurate only with max loads.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    The Lee 430-310 and the 358-158 RFN are both WFN designs. There are a lot of variations on the theme of SWC, but the Lyman 429421 and the true(er) copies by folks like boutique mold makers like NOE, Arsenal and others. The Lee 358 and 44 caliber SWC is not a copy of the Keith design.
    So, the projectile basically fills the maximum allowable space in the cylinder in terms of volume? Interesting, if you're looking to maximize grain weight per projectile.

I have used both types on deer and have had excellent results with both...The deer seem to be equally allergic to both...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast