Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead shot

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    I made it out to the range Wednesday to shoot my first shotgun reloads and my old left over homemade birdshot from 10-15 years ago.

I was just using my el cheapo Baikal (Russian made) over/under for the paper targets I set up at 16 yards and again at 40 yards.

There was a bay next door that has a plate rack.

My 870 and 1100 ran those shells 100% .

It was fun!

There's no way they shoot 100% at 40 yards. That shot is ok for what it is, but I'd be surprised if it's over 60% at 40 yards.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    There's no way they shoot 100% at 40 yards. That shot is ok for what it is, but I'd be surprised if it's over 60% at 40 yards.
    I believe he was talking about firing 100% and not patterns but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I believe he was talking about firing 100% and not patterns but I could be wrong.
    Yep! You got it!

Most of my Winchester AA empty hulls were fired out of a Beretta 686 or a Beretta A400.

The first station in a Mec 9000 has a resizing collet which squishes the brass “head” back down to size.

Soooo….I just brought the 1100 and the 870 along to “prove out” that the hull/shell was resized enough to feed from a tubular magazine, get pushed all the way into the chamber, fired, and then ejected out of the gun.

In other words, those two guns “ran” that ammo 100%.

That was versus those steel plates on the plate rack.

As far as percentage of pellets on paper at 40 yards….

UG!

This was with an “inexpensive” Russian made over/under called a Baikal.

I used fresh factory Winchester AA ammo (#8’s) , my reloads with commercially made #8 birdshot, and my separate reloads with my homemade shot.

In my opinion, at 40 yards, with each of those ammo’s , the patterns were horrible.

But I only had 5 of the paper targets made up.

I shot 2 targets at 16 yards, and 3 targets at 40 yards.

Ideally, I would have or should have shot 5 paper targets with each ammo at 40 yards.

Maybe next time

Boolit Master

Made shot in my shop when I had it. We made app 6 ton of shot. Then lead for it became hard to find.

Glad it did. I buy shot now, so does anyone loading that I know. All the disbelievers of cheap shells now buy the 100 packs at Wally World. How soon the status folk turn when it gets expensive.

I donot shoot skeet, trap sporting clays as it is above my paygrade. My shot shooting is hunting so buying the bags of shot I need is easier and cheaper than making it.

At a local Walmart in Sparta, IL…near the World Shooting Complex where the ATA Grand is held, Winchester AA 12gauge target loads were $114 and some change, plus tax per flat (250 shells). I bought two flats and it ended up being $248 and some change out the door for 500 shells.

So basically 50 cents per pop .

Boolit Master

Wish I could buy shot locally.. Sportsmans Warehouse been out since the opened a store here recently.. And it's 85$ a bag plus shipping from the usual big supplier on the west coast.

This interesting for how the Russian video done it . I wondering how big the holes was for the shot be made from ? and how the spacing is when drilled in ,
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Got lucky, met a guy who reloads shells at sportsman warehouse shopping..we were both talking about the dismal amount of supplies. I mentioned having no shot to load. He said he had 2 bags of #9 and he doesn't load 9 anymore. Traded telephone numbers. Hadn't heard from him in a bit. Called me yesterday.. He lives 1/2 mile from the jobsite I was working on yesterday. He met me in parking lot. I bought both bags off him. Gave him what he had paid a year ago. We both left happy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123