Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt dies, missing parts

45 colt dies, missing parts

I’ve got a 45 colt on the way and I just picked up some dies. What am I missing and can I get it somewhere?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE573C35-B11B-45A3-91A6-FCD6F23A60E1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	295806

The die set is complete. You may want to pick up an orphan bullet seating die some time, so you can crimp after bullet seating. Just remove the bullet seating stem and it is just a crimping die. I trust you have the proper shell holder.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The die set is complete. You may want to pick up an orphan bullet seating die some time, so you can crimp after bullet seating. Just remove the bullet seating stem and it is just a crimping die. I trust you have the proper shell holder.
    I did get the shell holder. The die thats missing the guts, what is it for?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmanran View Post
    It’s a carbide full length sizing die. You can screw a decapping pin in there.

Edit: I don’t see an expander.

So I need an expander die and crimping die?

Boolit Master
    Contact RCBS. They have excellent customer service, they may just send you what you need at no charge.

Boolit Master
    RCBS used to put the decapping pin on the expander, today it goes on the sizer. I think you might be good to go. On the right is the sizer, then in the center decaps and flares, then the left seats and crimps.

Sorry for my earlier post, I never remember the older die config, it’s not optimal for progressive presses.

In case you don’t have setup instructions, see pg 10
    https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/4ff...=1614259623807

Thank you that helps

I always seat the bullet and crimp at the same time. Just a matter of setting your die up correctly. Maybe if you were building match rifle ammo you would separately crimp but for .45 colt why bother.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I always seat the bullet and crimp at the same time. Just a matter of setting your die up correctly. Maybe if you were building match rifle ammo you would separately crimp but for .45 colt why bother.
    I also roll crimp into a crimp groove with the seating die. I’ll taper crimp in a separate station, esp with coated bullets.

Could have a whole thread on this, in fact probably have more than once. I would guess that those threads end in disagreements about the lee factory crimp die. And so it goes.

I agree with JimB. I had a set of 38/357 dies set up like that. The right (empty) die is the external sizer die. The middle die is the expand / flare / decapper die. The left die is the seat / crimp die. I believe this set is steel, not carbide. This is a very old set of dies, probably back in the 1970’s or before. If you lube your brass, they work fine.

I called RCBS when I had my set. They sent me a decap pin that screwed into the sizer die. I then removed the decap pin from the flare die. That set up the dies like we are used to seeing and using them now.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

If you want to have a de-capper in your sizer, RCBS can send you the threaded insert and a de-cap assembly for your sizer. Then yoi can remove the de-cap pin from tbe expander assembly.

The did that for a couple of sets I had from the 70s for free. As configured they won't work for a progressive press.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    I agree with JimB. I had a set of 38/357 dies set up like that. The right (empty) die is the external sizer die. The middle die is the expand / flare / decapper die. The left die is the seat / crimp die. I believe this set is steel, not carbide. This is a very old set of dies, probably back in the 1970’s or before. If you lube your brass, they work fine.

I called RCBS when I had my set. They sent me a decap pin that screwed into the sizer die. I then removed the decap pin from the flare die. That set up the dies like we are used to seeing and using them now.

Sam Sackett
    It’s a carbide sizer, made in 1977.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    If you want to have a de-capper in your sizer, RCBS can send you the threaded insert and a de-cap assembly for your sizer. Then yoi can remove the de-cap pin from tbe expander assembly.

The did that for a couple of sets I had from the 70s for free. As configured they won't work for a progressive press.
    Note to OP: Go ahead and do this, even if you don’t have a progressive press today. Putting the decapping stem in the sizing die means that you lose the expander, but on a progressive you expand with the powder funnel, so it all works out.

I do have a Dillon 550 but I was just going to load the colt on a single stag press. It’s only for a single shot contender so I don’t plan to go through a whole lot of ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    The sizer is probably a replacement, (1977) by the date on the die. the rest of the set is probably older (look at the of the top of the other two dies and you should find a two digit date) you should be good to go with what you have. They have lasted 40+ years and will still be going in another 40 if you look after them.

Take the de-capping die (the one in the middle) apart and see if the inside part looks similar to the picture below. If it does you are good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decapping-expander.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	295857
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Yes it looked like an expander in there. The confusion came when I bought the dies. The seller who seemed to be more experienced than me said the expander was missing. But getting the info here I think I have everything. Thanks to everyone

Yes it looked like an expander in there. The confusion came when I bought the dies. The seller who seemed to be more experienced than me said the expander was missing. But getting the info here I think I have everything. Thanks to everyone

Also the seating die is dated 71 and the die with decapper and expander inside has no markings

Quote Originally Posted by Catmanran View Post
    Going left to right on you die set. First is the bullet seating and crimping die. The middle is a decaping and expanding die. The die on the far right is the full length resizing die. It has a threaded hole in the top, but there never was any "guts" to be missing. RCBS dies have morphed a little over time, but your is correct for the period they were made. The only date I see is the carbide FL sizing die made in 1977. That is what the 77 stands for. It is not unusual for RCBS dies to carry different date marks in a set. The date will also be on the end label on the box but it will be reversed. Example.....80 on the dies and 08 on the end label. RCBS started selling reloading dies in 1949 and marked them with letter date code. A=1949, B=1950 and so on. They never finished the alphabet before the went to a numerical date. Fred Huntington started making presses and dies for bullet swaging in 1943 but it was 6 years later before he got to making reloading dies. 1943 was during WWII and over the counter reloading components were unavailable, so Huntington jumped in with 22 bullet swaging equipment to keep the Rock Chuck (California) shooting during the war. RCBS stands for Rock Chuck Bullet Swage. There was a big increase in shooting and reloading when the war was over. RCBS was positioned to cash in. Good luck with your 45 Colt reloading and shooting.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-06-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast