Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 colt dies, missing parts

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    The sizer is probably a replacement, (1977) by the date on the die. the rest of the set is probably older (look at the of the top of the other two dies and you should find a two digit date) you should be good to go with what you have. They have lasted 40+ years and will still be going in another 40 if you look after them.
    While not super common, it is not uncommon to find RCBS die sets with dies made in different years. They may be replacements as you mentioned or sets put together during a time of transition at the factory, i.e. steel sizing dies to carbide sizing dies. Dies were not made in sets, but runs of individual dies and sometimes a set was put together from inventory with mixed dates. The reversed date code on the box end label would be the best evidence of when the set went into their stock inventory.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    While not super common, it is not uncommon to find RCBS die sets with dies made in different years. They may be replacements as you mentioned or sets put together during a time of transition at the factory, i.e. steel sizing dies to carbide sizing dies. Dies were not made in sets, but runs of individual dies and sometimes a set was put together from inventory with mixed dates. The reversed date code on the box end label would be the best evidence of when the set went into their stock inventory.
    with the introduction of carbide sizing dies, folks like me bought. ew carbide sizers for existing pistol die sets..probably what happened here since RCBS used grey boxes for carbide die sets and green boxes for steel.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    While it’s not important with a 45 Colt set, for loading the 38 Spl and 357 Mag as well as 44 Spl and Mag the long magnum decapper won’t expand the shorter case, and the short expander won’t decap the magnum cases. The later style is much more versatile.

Froggie

PS I just remembered, there is a short version of the 45 Colt being used in Cowboy Action Shooting, so even that 45 set might be worth updating to the new configuration.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

If you want to have a de-capper in your sizer, RCBS can send you the threaded insert and a de-cap assembly for your sizer. Then you can remove the de-cap pin from the expander assembly.

They did that for a couple of sets I had from the 70s for free. As configured they won't work for a progressive press.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Your die set is complete.
    FL sizer die.
    Decapper/expander die.
    Bullet seating die.

Boolit Bub
    Old school dies. New ones have decapper sizer, expander and seater.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catmanran View Post
    I’ve got a 45 colt on the way and I just picked up some dies. What am I missing and can I get it somewhere?
    Attachment 295806
    The die on the far right is complete ...it has no "guts" ...it is a sizing die and simply sizes the case , no guts are required .

The center die is the depriming and neck expanding die ... the "guts" is the depriming pin and neck expander .

The die on the left is a boolit seating and crimping die ... it can seat the boolit and crimp in one operation if you like or you can adjust the die to seat the boolit in one operation , no crimp and then re-adjust the die to crimp without seating the boolit any deeper ...this is seating and crimping in two steps .

Over the years RCBS has changed which dies do what ... my 1967 357 Magnum dies have three dies like yours ...1.) size , 2.)de-prime & neck expand , 3.) seat & crimp

You will get some confusion on all this ...I hope this helps .
    My old set also has that round piece of cardboard in it ...looks like a shotgun shell wad to me ...never could figure out what to do with it ?
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-12-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    You Needs RCBS part number 09617 decapping assembly if you want to use them in your Dillon 550. This converts it to decap in the size die. Dies from the 60’s arent threaded for a decap assembly so make sure it’s threaded.

You usually can borrow the decapper out of a rifle die like a 30-06 but the guide bushing (threaded adapter from the dies to the decap rod) is too small for pistol dies 41 and larger.

I tried to get RCBS to sell me one but they sent me an assembly for free. That was some years ago.

If you aren’t going to reload them on your 550, those dies will work fine.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The die on the far right is complete ...it has no "guts" ...it is a sizing die and simply sizes the case , no guts are required .

The center die is the depriming and neck expanding die ... the "guts" is the depriming pin and neck expander .

The die on the left is a boolit seating and crimping die ... it can seat the boolit and crimp in one operation if you like or you can adjust the die to seat the boolit in one operation , no crimp and then re-adjust the die to crimp without seating the boolit any deeper ...this is seating and crimping in two steps .

Over the years RCBS has changed which dies do what ... my 1967 357 Magnum dies have three dies like yours ...1.) size , 2.)de-prime & neck expand , 3.) seat & crimp

You will get some confusion on all this ...I hope this helps .
    My old set also has that round piece of cardboard in it ...looks like a shotgun shell wad to me ...never could figure out what to do with it ?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    RCBS used to put the decapping pin on the expander, today it goes on the sizer. I think you might be good to go. On the right is the sizer, then in the center decaps and flares, then the left seats and crimps.

Sorry for my earlier post, I never remember the older die config, it’s not optimal for progressive presses.

In case you don’t have setup instructions, see pg 10
    https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/4ff...=1614259623807
    Could you put up the instructions again the link no longer will work. I’ll print it out this time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmanran View Post
    Could you put up the instructions again the link no longer will work. I’ll print it out this time
    Try this https://media.mwstatic.com/productdo...structions.pdf

Not mine.

Thanks! got em printed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12