Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Buffalo arms lead hardness tester

Buffalo arms lead hardness tester

Does anyone own one of these testers?
    all comments welcome
    thanks.
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/lead-har...ard-ctlt1.html

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like a copy of the Cabine Tree that I use.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got one but have only started dabbling with it. So far the results seem to be consistent and I have had a few mystery alloys that have surprised me. I have noticed that the scale is different than others I have found online for other testers which makes sense if the point shape is slightly different.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, very happy with it. It gives consistent readings.

Boolit Master
    I have one that I have made a few reversible mods to make it easier for me to use. I add a very small zip tie to the threaded portion that is snug enough to stay put, but loose enough to turn on the threaded shaft. Be sure to file sufficient clearance on the nub of the zip tie. When setting I get the threaded portion in correct position and then holding that, rotate the nub to a position under the brass rod. One full turn is easy to keep track of. Take your reading and then reverse the cranking to remove the pressure. I slip a thin shim on the base of the unit so the sample can slide a little bit when turning the crank to take the reading.

I also prepare the test samples in the same way LBT suggests by filing flat the base and nose. I also have a bullet mold dedicated to casting samples of a new batch of alloy. Nice unit and very repeatable if you take the time to learn how to do it. Very slight error reading 1 or 2 points at the very soft end of the scale as verified by lab samples of Pure, Lyman #2 and Linotype.

Bought mine through Carbine Tree works great.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

cabine tree has sold part of their business the tester is made by ST Machining Products.
    it looks easy to use I read the op instructions and watched a video.
    the lee tester just does not work with tri focals.
    Thanks

I have one that I use for ingots. For testing bullets I still much prefer the SAECO that I bought so many moons ago.

I don't like the way the Cabine Tree indentor point rotates, boring into the sample. Not right for accuracy over the long haul. Keep it in perfect form and polished smooth and I guess it's OK, though.

A minor complaint about the Cabine Tree is that I have to C-clamp it to the bench or hold it in a vise to use it.
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-05-2022 at 03:16 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

go right to cabin tree. Ive had an lbt and a seaco and there both junk compared to the cabin tree.

Only things wrong with the SAECO are that it's twice the price, it's out of stock everywhere, and you can't test ingots. Used intelligently, it's still the best tester ever made, short of a lab machine that costs as much as a new F150. You'll have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands.
    Cognitive Dissident

Thanks I ordered the Cabine Tree

Boolit Bub
    polishing the point on my Cabine Tree reduced a lot of my variations

Boolit Master

another happy cabine tree customer

It works well, easy to use and repeatable results

I store mine in sealed box with some desiccant in it as it will rust in an garage in Texas Gulf Coast
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The Cabine Tree is excellent! To improve accuracy, replace the dial indicator with a 1" travel digital indicator and you never have to guess at where the dial pointer is, especially with "old eyes".

Very accurate and repeatable. And, you can take it with you to the scrap yards, unlike that horrible Lee thing that eats up your loading press. And it can test any shape or form of lead. I referenced/checked mine against a NIST certified hardness tester and was right on.

banger

Boolit Mold
    I use one and have zero issues with it.

There is quite a bit difference between the old Cabine Tree chart and the newer Cabine Tree by ST Machining's chart. I have both charts and it can be quite confusing. I had the old CT but sold it and then sometime later decided to get the CT again but that is when I discovered that they were of a different animal. So, jumping from chart to chart when checking bullet bhn will have me scratching my head at times.

Use only the new chart with your new tester. Even minor changes in the mfg of the tester could require a new calibration.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    go right to cabin tree. Ive had an lbt and a seaco and there both junk compared to the cabin tree.
    It is interesting how different people, good people can have such different results.

I have owned and used the LBT tester weekly since the mid-1990's and get great, accurate service from it. A long time ago, this controversy came up. To check mine I got certified alloy samples to check it. I have rechecked it over the years with recast test samples. My LBT is fast, easy to use and gives a direct readout. No conversion charts needed.

I understand other people have their own opinions and experiences and I respect them for it, but think the LBT is outstanding, accurate and easy to use. Like anything, using it requires proper operation and your unit must be working correctly. The LBT or any of the other units can be used wrong or can be out of adjustment or defective and give wrong results.
    For home use, it is wonderful how well these units can work with a little care and understanding.

I just hate to hear some of these brands trashed based on who knows why. Making products for this price point and having untrained people use them is the reason for some of this controversy
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 04-12-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    Chill Wills