WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Bullet contacting rifeling

Boolit Buddy

Bullet contacting rifeling

Testing some new boolits from the Noe 460-315 and noticed they were a little snug when chambering in my Marlin 1895. Don't know if it can be seen well but they engage the rifleing a bit. Sized to .459 after pc... Are these still ok to shoot this way? I could use the Hornady brass I have as it's shorter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D7484644-819D-476F-AD3D-FE14F912864B.jpeg  
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    I suppose you could trim back the cartridge cases just a few thou to eliminate contact with the rifling.
    Sizing after powder coating corrects the bullet diameter but doesn’t address the thick powder coat on the bullet ogive. Shortening the cartridge cases a bit will keep the ogive further from the rifling. The slightly shorter cases shouldn’t be an issue unless you are trying for maximum loads of black powder. With smokeless the slightly shorter case might benefit the load by removing a tiny bit of unused case volume.

Boolit Master

You probably have a great situation for accuracy. As long as when you de-chamber a round the throat doesn't try to pull the bullet out of the case.
    Good Luck!
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Testing some new boolits from the Noe 460-315 and noticed they were a little snug when chambering in my Marlin 1895. Don't know if it can be seen well but they engage the rifleing a bit. Sized to .459 after pc... Are these still ok to shoot this way? I could use the Hornady brass I have as it's shorter.
    Actually that is desired with a cast boolit for accuracy as long as it will extract without leaving a boolit in the throat. If you are worried about pressure a cast lead boolit will have much less pressure than a similar weight jacketed bullet with comparable powder charge weights.

Quote Originally Posted by rickintn
    as long as when you de-chamber a round the throat doesn't try to pull the bullet out of the case
    ^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn't close the action on my Handi-rifle at all, with the Marlin they extracted ok
    NRA Lifer

You could also use the Hornady Leverevolution brass. Its a smidge shorter than standard

Boolit Grand Master

Not familiar with that bullet and can't tell from the pic, but, can you seat the bullet any deeper? Crimp groove?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

As stated, as long as it's not trying to pull the bullet out upon extracting, it's fine. It's actually ideal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Not familiar with that bullet and can't tell from the pic, but, can you seat the bullet any deeper? Crimp groove?
    It’s crimped in the groove as shone..not a very deep one but it’s there.
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
    As stated, as long as it's not trying to pull the bullet out upon extracting, it's fine. It's actually ideal.
    I’ll go with it. I’ll use the shorter Hornaday brass for the Handi-rifle
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    You probably have a great situation for accuracy. As long as when you de-chamber a round the throat doesn't try to pull the bullet out of the case.
    Good Luck!
    Rick
    De-chamber is the new term for extract a round ?
    I try to keep up with the changing terminology ...it ain't easy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

The Handy rifle is a single shot. Just seat the bullet a bit deeper until the action will close. Ignore the crimp groove.
    Rick

There are articles in different loading books that say your best accuracy, and with no big spike in chamber pressure
    is attained when a Lead boolit just barely touches the rifling enough to engrave/leave small marks like yours show.

I've found this to be true with my rifles.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Id seat the boolit a little deeper in the case if I could. I had some rounds for my 30-30 that were a little hard to close the lever on. It didn't give a warm feeling about what it could do to the action. My 2 cents.

Boolit Master

I normally disregard crimp grooves and crimp where it sits.

I do however measure my bullet seating depth. I dont recommend ball seating (ie seating a bullet into the leade or riffling). Maybe if the load is tunned for it but. Once upon a time i tried ball seating. The extra recoil was enough for to suspicious. Quickloads and some heavy Google foo lead me to figure it out.

In a nut shell seating into lands spikes your initial start presssure and all things powder burn wise that snow balls into. Plus pressure spikes affect accuracy.

I seat .004 off the lands and udjust deeper if needed for feeding reliability. This gives me lee way for minor inconsistencies from seating depth that would affect chambering.

In my riffles and hand guns, I have noticed increased accuracy and higher obtainable velocities from not breach seating.

The arguments for breaching seating is the bullet is aligned and supported during firing for better accuracy. I found high pressures and lower velocites but with usable accuracy. For seating .004 the argument is increased reliable chambering from negligible seating depth variances, increased accuracy because of gentler start pressurszes which allows loading to high velocities.

I will say i have seen people do amazing ball seating but it didnt work for me. Try it all ways and see what your guns and experince is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~