Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lee C358 200 RF and older Marlins

Boolit Master

Lee C358 200 RF and older Marlins

Have a 1950 336A incoming, and ordered the Lee mold, only to see some comments that if seated to the crimp groove, some Marlins won't take this bullet and refuse to go into battery. Is this an issue, and if so, a solvable problem?

Boolit Master

I'm guessing you are talking about a 35 Remington. I have two two of them. If I'm not mistaken you are talking about what is known as the RCBS 200 grain bullet. I don't have any issues with mine. Actually, if I am correct on what bullet that is, it is the 'Gold Standard" for 35's. Even if the crimp groove is in the wrong place for your rifle, which I doubt it is, you don't have to use the crimp groove. Using a Lee factory crimp die you can actually crimp anywhere you like.
    Good Luck with your 35!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Rick, thanks. Yes the 336 Waffle Top is in .35 Remington.
    The Lee mold: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016831934

Boolit Master
    I have used the Lee rnfp in my 35 Remington with ok results. I loaded several boxes for some hunters this year. Honestly, I have not worked up a load yet on it due to primer shortage. I am out of Large Rifle Primers. Totally. Thats what I get for helping people. NO ONE could find hunting ammo this year. I can help you with a box and sure buddy I can help you turned into a revolving door. I should have at least made a few bucks but when guys need meat for the freezer, but I know all their kids.... If you can help I feel you should. I turned many guys away who were just looking to stockpile ammo. Guys took game with the bullet that is for sure. Most of them didnt know what to think about that red bullet. LOL
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    One can take more than enough meat to survive with a .22. if you are in that situation you probably aren't too concerned about the legality of it anyway.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Works wonderful in my waffle top 35 Remington.

Boolit Master
    Mr. Kummer, that is exactly what I hoped to hear. Thanks. Do you have a particular load you favor?

I believe it’s 12 grains unique for 1500 fps. Please look it up. Don’t need anymore for my 200 yard range. “Clangs” steel really well. Cheap and easy on shoulder. I believe I am sizing to .358 when seating GC. Lee tumble lube.

Boolit Master

I use 25 grains of RL7 for shooting Lever Action Silhouette. I have not gotten the 1st place trophy yet! But, I have a feeling that isn't due to the boolit or load.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    26 gr of 4198 or 35 gr 8208 and when it warms up I'm going after the max LVR load that Mr Gibson tested 45 grains lever revolution
    if the lee is an exact copy of the RCBS your in for a treat ive never heard of anyone complain about how that bullet works out of a marlin

Boolit Master
    Tried the John Taffin load of 20 grains of 2400 and got sloppy accuracy and the classic "Marlin Jam." I attribute the accuracy issues to having run the boolits through my Lee .358 sizer to seat the gas checks. I need a .359 or .360 sizer.

Boolit Master

.360" usually works in Marlin 35's pretty well. I believe 20 grains of 2400 is a bit on the stout side. I would try 12 to 14 and see if your accuracy doesn't get much better.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    In my lever guns I will sometimes start with a dummy round.I will check for fit and then trim the case until I can use the crimp groove and still have the cartridge chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I use the Lee 200 RF in my 35 Whelen. The issue of not chambering is usually because of using the bullet seating die to crimp the bullet in place. Crimping is a necessity for tubular magazines. Often the case mouth will bulge slightly if you put on a little too much crimp and presto - the round won't chamber. For both rifle and pistol I always crimp as a separate step after the bullet is seated. The Lee FCD is a godsend and easy on the pocketbook.

I have the Lee version of the RCBS, and it works fine in both of my 35 Rem. Marlins.
    One is from '60 & the other is a '75.
    34.0 grs of 3031, or
    24.5 grs of 4198 work well.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    I also get best results with RE-7, but... Not a marlin, Not a lever Gun.. Mauser 98... So I will Not share the load...

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS version works great in my 1952 336SC with 36.0gr H4895.