WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: 577 “3 bpe reloading info

Boolit Mold

577 “3 bpe reloading info

I have a 577 3” double rifle made by W W Greener and am looking for reloading help. I have the components nailed down just not the reloading dies. I was speaking to a gentleman who told me I may be able to get away with using paper patched bullets in the case and not needing to crimp the case with the bullet in it. I kinda think that is off. I really want to shoot this and I think I am going to have to make special reloading tools for it like the hand reloading tools that came with these guns originally. Any help, comments, gripes are welcome as I am new to the game.

Boolit Buddy
    Would the Lee .577 snider seating die work for seating and a crimp? It's too short of a die so you would have to make a ram stop spacer. I assume more knowledgeable people will be commenting soon.

The advise you got is likely good, but you will need to load only one barrel at a time or the recoil will pull the bullet from the unfired round. The only dies I am aware of are from CH4D, but as mentioned you may be able to use a 577 Snider seat die or have a gunsmith or machinist make one. You shouldn't need a size die, but some way to crimp is likely useful.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the world of truly Big Bore Rifles. If you don't have Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle" get a copy. It has detailed information on the care and feeding of these wonderful rifles.

At some point you will want/need a set of dies. CH4D will be considerably cheaper than RCBS, I have both. I got by for some time with a home made set up but with repeated shooting the cases swelled enough that they would not chamber freely and when loading both barrels you will need to crimp the bullets in. I bought a set of RCBS dies off a member here a few years ago. When you have enough posts you may want to try an add here and watch the internet for a set.

Are you planning on using Black Powder or smokeless? I hope you got some brass with your rifle as cases can be hard to find. Most folks today use 2 3/4" cases for smokeless as there is no real advantage to the 3" case unless you're loading black powder. In general the 2 3/4" guns shoot 540 grain bullets the 3" 600 to 650 grain bullets. Most will regulate with somewhat different weights. I've shot grease groove and paper patch bullets and finally settled on grease groove bullets.

Post pictures of your rifle and let us know how it shoots.
    Last edited by elk hunter; 02-04-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I have an Army &Navy BPE . Just for Info. If you are using an Older Loading press you may not have enough Clearance to seat the bullet by conventional Methods. I generally have to push the bullet up in the seat die first Then mount the case in the shell holder
    This is a very time consuming cartridge
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    The Snider dies may work for neck sizing/expanding, and the Lee Snider FC die can be used with a 1" long sleeve that slides over the 3" shell to sit on the shellholder. Just a very slight crimp is all that's needed.
    The original BPE load for the 3" shell was 167 grains of No.6, use OE 1 1/2F if you can find any. Bullet weight 570 HP or 650 solid, 1 in 12 to 20 lead/tin alloy (no antimony or it won't obturate). Diameter .575-.576, paper wrapped. 3/16" lube cookie over powder, nitro card under bullet.
    This will get you directly into the ballpark - there's no need to go bore measuring or other anguishing - the above bullet is the one they used.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys for the information. I am going to purchase the above materials and see what I can do I will post pics of the gun when either Sunday or Monday. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

Boolit Mold
    Looking for that book as we speak. Also I’m not sure what I will be shooting 1 would first like to send it to a proper gunsmith that is familiar with British Doubles and see what he thinks. I have brass and bullets already ordered. So we will see. Also I will post pics either Sunday or Monday

Boolit Bub
    I have a single shot WW Greener Martini in 577 2 1/2" BPE. The Lee Snider die works well for crimping. I seat the bullet without crimping, then back the stem out, turn the die down and crimp in a separate operation. My plinking load is 100 gr Swiss 1 1/2 with a 1/8 card wad over the powder and a 24 gage Circle Fly fiber wad as a filler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20220209_072202095_copy_612x816.jpg  

If any of you fellas need a Lyman #575387 send me a PM.

Boolit Master
    I started to send a PM and then realized that bullet is too small for the 577 caliber rifles I shoot as they require a .585 diameter bullet. If cast soft it might work with black powder but .010 is quite a bit under size for smokeless. If paper patched it would work.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I've been threatening to paper patch and size them .576 for a 48" twist muzzleloader.