Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: GOEX Black Powder is bought and back in Production

Boolit Bub

GOEX Black Powder is bought and back in Production

GOEX Black Powder Production .Estes Energetics to Extend the GOEX Black Powder Production Legacy
    Estes Energetics has acquired the assets of GOEX, the premier black powder brand, and will continue and grow production at its Louisiana manufacturing facility.

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Estes Energetics
    Jan 31, 2022, 08:36 ET

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

MINDEN, La., Jan. 31, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Estes Energetics (https://estesenergetics.com/) is pleased to announce the acquisition of GOEX from Hodgdon Powder Company. This last remaining commercial scale black powder factory in the United States produces GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, which are highly regarded by competitive and recreational shooters, re-enactors, and muzzleloading hunters, as well as fireworks manufacturers. GOEX black powder also propels the model rocket motors of sister company Estes Industries, the leading model rocket brand, and supports the needs of the U.S. Military.

The acquisition of GOEX was completed in January 2022. "We are extremely excited to extend the relationship with our loyal customers as we ramp up production to satisfy pent up demand later this year," said Karl Kulling, CEO of Estes Energetics.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Now that's a bighly plus for Americans in general and shooting sports individuals in particular.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Very Good News !!
    Anyone else use the Estes Rockets to power rockets, boats, cars..... growing up?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Very Good News !!
    Anyone else use the Estes Rockets to power rockets, boats, cars..... growing up?
    Yes, and I may still have a few of them. I learned to make my own engines by combining black powder with fine sulphur in a mortar and pestle. This mixture would work in rolled and glued paper rocket bodies. And would shoot like a bazooka in a CO2 cartridge with drilled neck for a nozzle.

OK, my parents were not sure I'd survive, but here I is!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup. My first rocket was the short stubby V-2 copy. My last was the 3 foot black max. I use to make my own rocket bodies with a type of cardboard my rocket building buddy got from his dad who worked at a paper mill. We'd take the stiff but flexible paper and use a small brush wood glue on what would be the inside of the body with wood glue. Depending on the dowel size a pencil line was placed along the long edge so the glue would get on the dowel. A couple of rolls is all it took and we'd then wire the tube up with baling wire at 5 points. Let it dry for 3 days remove wire an cut to length in dad's square saw wooden miter box. Dowel was used as a stop when we mixed up some mortar and used to form the nozzle. A nail made the hole and a finger dragged in a circle made the recessed cone in the base. This we let dry for a week. Filled with powder an capped with moms wax paper an more mortar squared off at the top an your all set with a piece of waterproof green lacquer hobble shop cannon fuse. Geez you do this today an the man would be kicking down you door an locking you up an throwing away the key.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    This is hopefully good news. Estes rocketry would be going out of business if the supply of GOEX went away. They were most likely their biggest purchaser. Gotta keep the supply chain going.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Very Good News !!
    Yep I broke the law many times with those motors. Lived close to a local airport and would send rockets way higher than they were flying.

Nueces, Yikes my brothers high school buddy committed manslaughter doing the CO2 thing. Very sad.

Boolit Master
    The title to this thread is mis leading, yes Estes bought Goex.

But they are not making powder yet.. they just bought it..

The corning Mill will have to be completely rebuilt.

Quit spreading misinformation. Probably be a year before any powder comes of the Plant.

Where in heck do you read into their announcement that they are back in production..?

KW

Yes Kenny is right, it will probably be early to mid 2023 before any real production is seen. That is IF everything goes as planned.
    BUT that is a hell-of-a-lot better that what we were looking at two months ago.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Bub
    Well, they've got a ready-to-go trained workforce already there, so that should help.

I'm surprised they hadn't done some of the work on the mill

Estes Only needed to read the make your own black power thread on this board and all would be good..LOL
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    I am extremely grateful GOEX wasn't purchased by some shadow company owned/run by the Chinese Communist Party.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The best part is they plan to keep right on with the sporting powders. I've got plenty to get me thru this year, so waiting till next in some ways will be a good thing. At least I won't be forced into dropping shooting blackpowder.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I am extremely grateful GOEX wasn't purchased by some shadow company owned/run by the Chinese Communist Party.

Dave
    Or Vista Outdoors could have bought it which would not have been much better.

Boolit Master
    Powder hopefully 1st quarter next year 2023.

Kenny W.

Boolit Grand Master

That is super !!!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Bought 15#'s of FFG back in the late 90's. Still have 9#'s left. LOL still have 3#'s of pyrodex from the same time frame. Goex has always been my favorite. Guess I should load up a bunch of pyrodex just to get rid of it.

Boolit Grand Master

We got a good deal on Pyrodex some years back as a big box store sold out of muzzleloaders. Or 1,1" Naval canon gets well fed when we are north. A 17" smooth bore is real easy to clean with no worries.....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So are they keeping the same name? I hope they will keep the same designations got there powder?