Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: liners?

Banned

liners?

i have a chance to buy a single shot stevens (a 44 i think) in 32 stevens rf. i was wondering if i could take it to a 32 acp or a 32 s&w? or line it with a 17 hmr or 25acp? i don't want to do any 22 lr. i can make a rimfire into a center fire, but i don't know if the 32acp or the 25acp is feasible?

Boolit Master
    I Relined a .32 RF 1907 Leader pistol to .22lr.
    I had to make liners for the chambers too.
    But the rimfire hammer barely worked on the 22 lr , but it works.
    I don't see why you couldn't reline your barrel to something else.
    Now ,
    On some rifles it is a little complicated to convert to Center Fire.

Those are so cool, wish I had one.

Boolit Master
    I think a .17 RF might be easiest.
    Check out where your firing pin hits.
    You might not have to modify the hammer.
    BTW.
    On the Leader.
    I turned down the outside diameter of the .22 liner , so it slipped into the bore.
    I then JB Welded the liner in place.
    The cylinder liners were made out of .22 liner also.
    I just shaped them to fit the cylinder with a false Rim.
    They were also epoxied in place after cutting in the .22 RF Chambers.
    I did all this so if I ever wanted to restore the revolver to .32 RF I could by heating up the parts and removing the liners.
    I converted the pistol because I could not find .32 RF for less than $75.00 a box if I ever found them.
    I still have one box of the .32 rf left.
    And I wasn't into shooting converted ammo to RF.
    Last edited by LAGS; 02-02-2022 at 05:21 PM.

The Stevens 44, if that's what it is, can be converted to centerfire. John Taylor does it very well. If the bore is OK, and you don't touch the chamber, it'll accept .32 Long Colt centerfire ammo. If you ream the chamber slightly bigger, it will take .32 S&W Longs. Perfectly safe with either one, so long as it locks up properly. To do .32 ACP you'd have to set the barrel back - the ACP cartridge is much shorter tham the Colt Long. Liner it to whatever low pressure cartridge suits you. The second most popular 44 chambering was the .25-20 Stevens cartridge, but brass for it is now unobtainium. The .25-20 WCF is fine if you handload. Factory ammo with j-word bullets is loaded to hot. Another good possibility is to have JES bore the barrel out to .38 Special, (but NOT .357 magnum, and no +P .38 loads either).

Finally, you can keep it as a .32 rimfire. Buy adapters and bullets from Jack Harrison. (search "299153" on Gunbroker.) I also buy 6mm "acorn blanks" for use in his adapters, instead of nailgun charges. I use from 2 to 3 grains of Bullseye in my 44s, 1.5 grains for '94 Favorites and the Crackshot.

VERY important that the action locks up properly. The breechblock should be clamped against the barrel face by the toggle mechanism. If it doesn't some work on the linkage will be necessary before you go any further. (Ream and install oversize 5mm pins.) Actually there's more to it than that, but the full protocol is too long for a forum post. (P/M me for it.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    the 32 rf seems like alot of extra werk.

Your call. I'm using Jack's adapters in a couple of rifles that are near mint, and which I don't want to desecrate. I have converted a breechblock for a 1915 Favorite, so it can fire .32 Colt Long centerfire. I swapped breechblocks between Model 44s so my .32 44 shoots centerfire. A Hopkins & Allen I have was reamed to accept .32 S&W Long, and has had a different link installed to reposition the firing pin.

Jack also sells .32 Long Colt centerfire cases, converted from .32 S&W. But it's an easy conversion if you want to tackle it yourself. Jack's notes in his listings will show you how.

If you take possession of that 44, the actual condition of the bore will constrain your choices. Most Model 44s had to live through the era of corrosive priming, and unless they were never used, or were meticulously cared for, their bores are sewer pipes. In which case a liner or a rebore will be necessary.
    Cognitive Dissident