Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derimmed .22lr brass - jacket lengths

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the information. I now have a Corbin set with the 6s point forming.

The set I started with did not take the rims out completely and the lengths were not consistent. I believe I have that problem stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex ZP View Post
    Congratulations to all who are interested in this topic. Over the past six months, I have made 20-25 thousand bullets .224 using brass from jackets 22 LR. So I have some experience and the ability to compare the length of jackets)). I used Dave Corbin's equipment to pull out the jackets. And I will say such a thing. As soon as I started my attempts, jackets 17-2-17.5 mm long came out.
    At the moment I have jackets with a more or less constant length of 17.9-18.2 mm. Some jackets weighing more than 10.5 grains are up to 18.4 mm long.
    The matrix I use is the same. But the rods with which I push the jackets through it - I tried a lot. For my matrix, the optimal diameter of the rod is 5.06 mm. And it is very important to round off the upper edge of the rod. It is enough for about 3-4 thousand manufactured jackets. Then the rod must be replaced.
    So you're supplying Azov battalion with ammo? lol )) I happen to share the same last name with their commander.

Ok, back to swaging. So 5.06mm is .199" which is what I read somewhere else is what Corbin uses. Frankly I am surprised that such a large diameter is needed. I am using BTsniper .197" punch and works well, crevices are pretty much non-existent. I don't know what size is Corbin die but I believe BTsniper is .220" ID, brass comes out around .2215 I made my own longer punch which happens to be .1965 (half a thou under) and it works all the same. You need to clean 22LR shells Alex before you derim it. Vinegar diluted with water and a wet tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner. No damage was visible on mine after couple thousand rounds but I made it out of tool steel and tempered it. From what I learned here is the priming compound contains fine glass which ends up wearing out the punch.

Frosted Boolits

I use pre-hardened drill rod as my punch with awesome results.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/dr...l-steel-rods-9
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12