Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin 30-30 to 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 30-30 to 45 Colt

Rifle I am converting using a Douglas barrel is to the point of machining dovetails for the fore end and magazine. Have it feeding out of the magazine but I am curious after looking at pictures of factory 336's in 45 Colt. Marlin used a spring loaded detent between the barrel and the magazine tube that applies pressure to the very front of the cartridge carrier and a small spring loaded, pivoting, stamped sheet metal tab on the carrier feed ramp as well. The detent appears to delay the carrier from dropping down as it cycles and the small stamped tab looks like it acts to shorten the feed ramp to keep the 45 Colt cartridge from moving too far to the rear while cycling and ending up under the bolt as it closes.

My rifle lacks both parts, even so, while testing for function I have not encountered any issues. Anyone with experience building a similar rifle care to comment on how their rifle functioned less the detent and tab?

Boolit Master

I have done several 94s to 45 ACP. The next cartridge in the mag tube hold the carrier up after it is raised. The timing on the carrier needs to be changed for the shorter cartridge.
    If you don't have any feeding issues then you should be good to go.

Boolit Master
    I didn't realize that either of these conversions were even possible! Especially 45 ACP.
    Well done fellas!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Kudos to you scottnc for making this conversion work.

After personally experiencing just how poorly the Model 94 Winchester works with pistol length rounds, and reading of Marlins problems with the factory Model 336 in .44 Magnum back in the 1960's, I wouldn't have tried it.

I do like my Model 1894CB in .45 Colt though.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Kudos to you scottnc for making this conversion work.

After personally experiencing just how poorly the Model 94 Winchester works with pistol length rounds, and reading of Marlins problems with the factory Model 336 in .44 Magnum back in the 1960's, I wouldn't have tried it.

I do like my Model 1894CB in .45 Colt though.

Robert
    Ain't over tills it's over Robert! If the rifle functions in the field as it does on the bench all is well. I figure Marlin had the bits I mentioned in their 45 Colt 336 for a reason and it seems they quit making it so . . .

Edit; I was sure the pictures I have were of parts for a 336 in 45 Colt from an online discussion from several years ago. Seems they may very well be a 336 in 44Mag instead.
    Last edited by scottnc; 02-03-2022 at 06:28 PM. Reason: updated info

When did Marlin chamber a 336 in 45 colt? The 336 was a short production in the 1960’s in 44 magnum. In 1969, the 1894 Marlin was released introduced in 44 magnum and the rest was history.

Id love to have a 92 converted to 45 acp. Be a hoot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    When did Marlin chamber a 336 in 45 colt? The 336 was a short production in the 1960’s in 44 magnum. In 1969, the 1894 Marlin was released introduced in 44 magnum and the rest was history.
    Hence my edit. I have pictures from years ago while making a plan for the current conversion that I was referring to in the OP, I thought them of a 336 in 45 Colt but am now thinking they are of a 336 in 44 mag.