Thread: Noe 358-195hp

Noe 358-195hp

This is a new mould for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_358-195-HP_GC_U6.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	295570

I started casting with it yesterday and wasn't happy with the results. Boolits were not filling out well. I slept on it and decided to add some tin to the COWW's I was casting with. Using a 10 lb bottom pour Lee I figured three one ounce pieces of pure tin would be an additional 2%. With this alloy the boolits come out at 200-202 grains without lube or gas check. That's how I sorted them. 2 grain variation is one percent of a 200 gr.boolit. This sorting has worked for me in the past. It made accuracy possible.

I will cast some more. I only wound up with about 25 acceptable boolits. The hollow point is wide and deep. We'll see.

Jim

Boolit Master

Mold just needs break in & HP pins need be kept hot.

As most things practice makes perfect.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if you are new to NOE HP molds or not, but you will get the hang of it. Just by eye, that should be a decent casting bullet, round lube groove, moderate and well tapered HP. Don't be scared to turn the pot temp up to 775-800. One last thing, I often find NOE molds bullet bases either love pressure pouring, or hate it.

Boolit Master
    That looks like a BIG version of the Elco boolit! Looks awesome!

Yes, I think I helped things by adding some tin. Also the second session meant the mould is starting to break in. This is my first from NOE but it won't be my last. With it I ordered a top punch for it but somehow got one set up for a Saeco sizer. In the interim I am using a Lyman nose punch that deforms the nose a bit. It does the same thing with the Lee 358-200. So I ordered a proper punch from NOE. Also, along with the mould I ordered a set of replacement HP pins to make a non-HP boolit. More experimentation. I have a feeling this boolit will work well in the .357 MAX rifle. Will prolly use a non-HP for the .358 Win.. Still using powder coated 160 SWC's in the .357 Mag. Marlin.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

If the nose is the only thing not filling out, temperature is your only issue. I've got a number of NOE hollow point or hollow base molds, and they are all kind of unique in what they like. One thing that seems the same between them is that they are jerks right up until you get it, then like a light switch things start working perfect.

I have the same NOE mold for my 357 Max, haven't cast with it yet. I have been pretty happy with my MiHec 180 Larsen mold. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Thanks, hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have the same NOE mold for my 357 Max, haven't cast with it yet. I have been pretty happy with my MiHec 180 Larsen mold. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Thanks, hc18flyer
    Cast up some more yesterday. Haven't had a chance to weight sort them yet. They look nice, though. Each casting session looks a little better. I had a bit of a problem with the mould casting boolits with 'fins' on them. I let it cool and sighted between blocks. I could see light at the end away from the hinge so I took a punch and a mallet and tapped on the alignment pin. Took some tapping but the blocks came together. I also felt the sprue plate was too loose at its hinge so tightened up the hinge pin. The grub screw that locks the hinge pin was loose so tightened it. More later.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    I'm interested to hear about your experience with this mold. I was eyeballing this mold on NOE's website today thinking it might be good for these light skinned deer that we have here in Florida with the 358 Win. What are you intending on launching these babies out of ? It looks like a great little 35 Rem boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    A mold oven will really help your fillout on HPs. You have to get the mold hot, either by preheating in a mold oven, or casting like mad until you get it up to temp. You might even have to get it to frosting temp and then back down a little and see if the nose improves. It'll happen for you. Good luck and happy casting.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Never really been blessed with a HP mould. I have cast many Lyman slug and I know keeping that large pin hot was the Key. I think this is the same aspect but like I said I have not been blessed with a HP mould experience.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    I'm interested to hear about your experience with this mold. I was eyeballing this mold on NOE's website today thinking it might be good for these light skinned deer that we have here in Florida with the 358 Win. What are you intending on launching these babies out of ? It looks like a great little 35 Rem boolit.
    I have both a .357 MAX rifle and a .358 Win.. I don't think I will use them in the .358. But the MAX might be OK. I don't know if the whitetail here in the PNW have thicker skins than those in Florida. They're not very big - but we do have some Muleys and Elk around here - along with some black bear and cougars. The boolit takes a gas check but I am also contemplating powder coating some.

Jim