Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for semi-autos with extended mags

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if a security guard that needs a ten shot capacity shotgun might ought to have a pair of g22's
    No handguns allowed in his jurisdiction.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Educate me on O-rings of 11-87. I was told that they need to be replaced at regular intervals. How frequently? What are the signs of a worn O-ring? And what are they made of and in what size?
    There is no set interval of replacement that I have ever seen. Usually they are good for thousands of rounds. They are normal O-rings, and you can get different kinds. The best for this use is a Viton, use size #021. It isn't a big deal. Even when the O-ring fails, the action should function with normal ammo. With weaker ammo, it might fail to cycle. I've never seen one failed myself, but I change them before they do. Beyond that, it's just about cleaning. The 1100/1187 gets pretty dirty if you shoot it a lot. You need to clean them, including inside the action, a lot of soot ends up in there, more often than some newer semi-auto's. If you do that, they are solid and reliable for the long haul. Plenty of people have shot ten of thousands of rounds with an 1100 at targets with zero issues. I'm not aware of any parts that wear out, just the O-ring.

Thanks a lot!

Found the O-ring size: 15/16 ID, 1 1/16 OD, 1/16 thickness.

You are absolutely right: there is no reason for buying these rings as "Remington 1100/11-87 O-rings" because they are sold at high premium. Generic rings of the same brand and size cost less than 1/10th of that.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-14-2022 at 07:27 PM.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

So, as it always happens in this community, I had a problem and asked a question, and you gave me the best advise on Earth.
    My pal found a used 11-87 online, he checked it out, and it was in near perfect condition. I bought it for him, and he is a happy camper (after I also bought and shipped to him a bag of O-rings because his was shot).

Now, both of us have this question: since it is a security job, he is tempted to use dirt-cheap steel BB pellets, which also keeps his loadout light.
    Does the stock Rem barrel allow for it or is steel going to damage it? Does it need a special choke?

Boolit Grand Master

First, why on earth would you choose steel BB for any kind of security? I can't possibly think of a worse choice. And dirt cheap? Must be different in Canada. This is way beyond my expertise, but I'd say anything other than buckshot and slugs in that shotgun is a bad idea. 8 pellets of 00 buck weights less than any 12 gauge steel BB load I ever saw for sale.

Second, steel shot is just fine in any 1187. There are special turkey choke tubes that advise no steel shot or slugs, but anything cylinder to full is just fine with steel shot in that gun.

Boolit Master
    I think your friend might like the 11-87. I'm not completely sure about this but it seems the Remington 1100's and 11-87's might have been made real well right up till the end when the company went belly up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12