Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: The best pump shotgun

Boolit Master

I have owned and hunted with Ithacas and Win M-12. When I took up trap shooting, I bought a Rem 870TC. Later I bought a 26" skeet barrel to put on it. After about 20,000 skeet and trap loads, I can load, shoot and pump an 870 in my sleep. For hunting I use the 870 field grade that my father won in a duck calling contest in the late 50s. I put a cutts compensator on the barrel and use if for ducks and upland. When I wear out both my 870s, I will find a used one.

Boolit Buddy
    Ithaca Model 37 or a Marlin 120..all the way!

Can you Port Load the gun ? That way you could rip of a few more shots and get 6 instead of three?

See the: "What I did to my shotguns" thread.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

But three is all I want to clean at once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A Savage 24. 22lr over 20ga. It is not a pump but I don't like pumps.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    I have 870’s,model 12’s a savage pump,and mossberg’sbut the best one I have is a 1970’s Winchester model 1200 with a winchoke barrel feeds like greased lighting every time and knocks birds out of the air.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I have 870’s,model 12’s a savage pump,and mossberg’sbut the best one I have is a 1970’s Winchester model 1200 with a winchoke barrel feeds like greased lighting every time and knocks birds out of the air.
    I have a 1200 with the Win-chokes as well. My Dad got it for my fourteenth birthday many years ago. Don't bird or rabbit hunt here in Florida so I can't think of the last time I shot it.

Boolit Mold
    I have singles, semis, O/Us, SxSs, and pumps. The pumps are for upland, casual clays, and some waterfowl. They are M37s and are 16ga. Nwork fine for me.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    For general purposes a wood stocked 870 in 12 gauge with a selection of Remchokes.
    For upland an Ithaca Featherlight in 16 gauge, modified. My experience with plastic stock
    870s with “tactical” modifications is that, for me personally, they are ergonomically inferior to a wood stocked gun set up “slick” when used under pressure. Here I mean low volume real world use as opposed to high volume gun games, which I am admittedly ignorant about. If you can find one, and like the balance, I think an 870 Special Field with interchangeable chokes is the ultimate pump. Add a set of low profile fiber optic sights to the vent rib and it will do almost anything a smooth bore is capable of. I have owned two and foolishly sent both down the road.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had lots of 870's over the years. Still have a couple, but most have gone away. I love to hunt geese with an old Stevens 12 ga. pump. It's a beater but just about qualifies for the title of "Ol' Never Miss."

Here’s my two Model 12s that I built from damaged or modded field guns. A 1925 Riot [had a polychoke and a cracked stock] and a 1940 Trenchgun [had a short stock and a old reblue]. Love my M12s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A99386E2-CF83-4040-9341-A80A2F1AD0B7.jpg  

1200/1300 Winchesters are so smooth. Winchester advertised them as speed pumps. I have never racked a smother pump shotgun.

I have owned a few pump guns, shot with a few people that shot pump guns in clays matches. The Ithaca 12ga /20 is a good gun, the Win M-12 and the Remington 870 both older models are good guns. I prefer interchangeable chokes so would look for a nice 870 cut for or with mulpitle choke tubes. Last one I bought was a nice operating 20ga with a modified fixed choke barrel, that someone had rattle can painted. I got it cheap enough and refinished it.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789