Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The best pump shotgun

Boolit Master

If someone said you can only have one pump shotgun. When it breaks you can't fix it.

870 Wingmaster.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    My personal choices right now are a Remington Model 10T (Target) and a MArlin 43T (Trap)

Neither would likely make the 'Best of All Time List' but for me they are my favorites.
    The MArlin is one of their hammerless designs and a complicated mechanism I will admit.
    But I like it and the gun handles beautifully. Not the most robust design on the books and you'd better be able to do some repairs yourself
    if you want to keep one of these guys working if you shoot them a lot. They are a puzzle to take a part and reassemble as well.

The Rem Model 10 has it's quirks,,maybe why I like it.
    The 10T/ (Target means Vent Rib ) is a heavy shotgun but functions smoothly dispite claims to the contrary.
    Single loading can be done as mentioned but most usually jamthemup by getting the shell caught under the guns very strong ejector before they get it into the chamber.
    Better to mag load and then chamber. Clay Targets don't shoot back so it's not an issue for me.
    The all-in-one piece mfg bbl & vent rib is a wonder for it's time IMO. The Model 17, 31, 29 and 11 all used the same one piece mfg for their VR as well.

The Winchester 97 is a favorite as well. I'd take that any day as a one gun does all choice.
    I have a couple of them and theyget used all the time.

I have never owned a Model 12 personally. They just never did much for me. I have repaired, restored and upgraded a ton of them in the last 50yrs. Great design and great gun. Just a personal thing that they don't draw me to them.

I have an affinity for the lesser known models.
    The Stevens 520 is a favorite. I was on a 520 kick for many yrs and had many of those in 12,16 & 20ga's.

Right now I have only a Stevens Model 200,,the 20ga 3" chambered pump from around 1912.
    Another interesting piece, kind of rare and not many mfg'd. Very different and not often seen.
    The Best?,,Hardly..
    But it's in my circle of interest.

Boolit Master

I really like my Stevens 520's. Got four 12's and a slick 20. All take down. Classics.

Boolit Bub
    I've owned Remington, Winchester, Ithaca and mossberg.
    I'd stick with the 870, just not an express

Benelli, 12 ga. Pump 3” chamber for when serious shotgunning needs to be done, BPS 20 ga. .breaks down fits in a day pack I use it for Grouse in the mountains while fishing.

Boolit Master

I don't shoot 3 inch over 20 gauge. 2 3/4 Savage, Sears, Hi standards one rail pumps are great values. When I had my shop I bought as many the Big Auction houses had at bids of 20-30 dollars each. 8-10 per auction. Cleaned them up cut barrels to 19-20 inches, re-blued, beads put on sold out of the shop for $175.00 all sold in first 2 weeks.

870 and Mossberg 500's were sold for $250 and up.

I have 1 870, 2- 20ga Mossberg's and 4 of the non-tacticool 12's all place about with ammo about the farm.

Boolit Bub
    IMO, the Winchester model 12 will always be #1. The Ithaca 37 was a nice well made gun, as is the old 870 Wingmaster. Current production, the Browning BPS is #1 with everything else a distant second.

Boolit Master
    Only thing I’d use a pump for would be the pump events at a Vintagers Sporting Event . I was hung up on Model 12’s and still think they’re a better gun . But I’m finding a well broke in 870 can be a good bit slicker . So I suppose I’d have to go with the 870 now .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

for all around uses it's my Ithaca mdl. 37
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    I shot skeet with a guy in Austin, TX (dang, was that really 40 years ago?) who owned probably 25 Winchester Model 12s (ribbed, engraved, two, three barrel sets, 28 gauge). One day I asked him what he considered the best pump shotgun, his reply was "Easy, the Remington 870". Twin action bars beat one action bar. I personally love the old 1960s 870s with the nickle lifter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relics6165 View Post
    I shot skeet with a guy in Austin, TX (dang, was that really 40 years ago?) who owned probably 25 Winchester Model 12s (ribbed, engraved, two, three barrel sets, 28 gauge). One day I asked him what he considered the best pump shotgun, his reply was "Easy, the Remington 870". Twin action bars beat one action bar. I personally love the old 1960s 870s with the nickle lifter.
    I shot skeet competitively about thirtyfive years ago . There were three fellows one of which I very good friends with that shot 870’s in all gauges . They all had it down where only four hulls a round would hit the ground (the first shot at doubles). Back then the clubs were real sticklers about not picking up hulls that hit the ground .Well at registered shoots that is .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Mold
    Hmmm. I agree twin bars feel better. But I still pick a Model 12 because it points better for me than my 870. My pick for worst is a Win model 1200. My brother bought one and it unlocked itself and opened after each shot. I sent it back to Winchester. they sent it back and said nothing wrong with it. It opened by itself for that fast second shot.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	590.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	304633 I carried a Remington 870 when I was in the Navy. It was a nice shotgun, but the one I'm saving my nickles and dimes for is a Mossberg 590 retrograde. I like all the features and the mechanics of this shotgun.

I'll have to stick with my Browning BPS 12ga. Smoothest pump gun I've ever fired. And she points like a dream.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master

Ithaca 37 and Marlin 120
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    BPS, never fails.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Love, love , love my Mossy 500 Sherrif’s Model.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The 12 ga has stood behind my bedroom door loaded with 7.5 shot for over 24 years. Fully loaded, 4 in the tube, one in chamber, but with the action half open. No way it can go off my accident. You would have to push the safety over, push the forearm forward and pull the trigger to get it to fire. But it can be done in less than a second. Safe, secure, yet instantly ready at need.
    If I might offer a suggestion as to the storage of your house gun. "Cruiser Ready" is the standard way to keep a shotgun at the ready. This is the way that the Police keep their Shotguns at the Ready in their cars.

Magazine Full, Bolt Closed on Empty Chamber, Safety Off. All that needs to be done is "rack the slide" and you are ready to go.

No thinking, and no forgetting to dump the safety which is the most common mistake made.

Same set up for a Semi Auto Gun. Rack the Bolt and you are up and running!

When mounting the gun from the ready with the safety on,,, I always say to myself,,, "Safety First!" I can't tell you the number of times I have forgotten it.

Note: the gun won't fire with the safety engaged and you may not have time for a second attempt after you figure out why the gun didn't go off!!!.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-26-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by autogun View Post
    Hmmm. I agree twin bars feel better. But I still pick a Model 12 because it points better for me than my 870. My pick for worst is a Win model 1200. My brother bought one and it unlocked itself and opened after each shot. I sent it back to Winchester. they sent it back and said nothing wrong with it. It opened by itself for that fast second shot.
    Agree on the model 12 as top pick. At 16 y.o. I purchased a 1200. Sears, $69.99. They usually ran a back cover ad in gun magazines, picture of a model 1200 clamped in a vise with muzzle at 30 degree angle up. Caption read “MACHINED GUN”. It pointed and tracked nearly as well as a 12 but I could never get used to the pop open immediately after shooting. Half the time I’d wind up locking it up instead of ejecting the hull. Sold it and kept the model 12.

I'll stand by the 870, this past week I've been duck hunting on the ponds. Twice this week I've made a triple on flushed ducks! My 870 Express Laminated 28" modified. Operating it is muscle memory. When season is over, the mag plug comes out and the riot barrel goes back on.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast