RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The best pump shotgun

Boolit Master
    Model 12 for me. 870 is close. I had an Ithaca 37 in Imp Cyl and took it to shoot skeet. What a PITA. Loading skeet, one round at a time, put the shell in the mag, release the bolt, pump it, then shoot. Next target, do it all over again. Win 12, just drop the shell in open chamber and close gun. IMHO.

Boolit Master

if I were to pick a shotgun it would be the Ithaca 37, that is what the Army handed to me several decades ago and it did as required what more do you want from a shotgun. Oh it was fed double O buck exclusively
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I should add my two cents to this discussion:
    Growing up, my father only had a handful of guns; a Remington 760 30-06, a Ruger original 4" semi auto pistol and a Remington Model 17 w/ modified choke. He tended to treat his firearms as tools and not as collectables so everything was well used but taken care of. His Model 17 shotgun killed everything from mice to weasels to all kinds of game birds to ducks and even geese. He bought the gun in his teens from the neighbor kid next door (just before WWII) and even killed a few deer with it using slugs. And though it was only a 20 gauge, he never felt under gunned. Proved this point a number of times at a local turkey shoot, out shooting guys using 12 gauge guns.

So, by extension I became interested in the Ithaca Model 37, which is just a slightly updated version of the Model 17, but made in 12, 16 and 20 gauges. At last count I think I have at least a dozen of these, all in 12 gauge, including 5 or more of the 8 shot versions (and one of the very rare 9 shot models) plus a AOW 14" Stakeout. These Ithacas have the fewest total number of parts of any pump action shot gun, are generally the lightest 12 gauge pump gun (especially the earlier guns & forgetting about the Model 17) and tend to be trouble free guns (as long as properly taken care of). It also can be argued that they are or are close to the smoothest pump gun to run especially when well broken in and properly lubricated. Model 31 Remingtons and Model 12 Winchesters are both very smooth operators but it is my belief that the Ithaca 37 is right up there with those two. And lastly, the Model 37 has the distinction of being the longest continually manufactured pump shot gun in the world with production still ongoing in Ohio today.

And, I do also own 3 of the Remington Model 17s, a beat-up early Model 31, a couple of the older Marlins, a 1897 Norinco trench gun and a Philippine made High Standard knock off.

Just my opinion, thanks.
    Last edited by nhithaca; 02-03-2022 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Boolit Master
    You can chamber load M37 and M17 Remington guns, I do it all the time. Open the action, now move the slide about 3/4 inch forward. Take a shell and slip it up into the action and into the chamber, close slide(after removing thumb!) stuff another couple in the magazine tube. When ready to unload, hand under the port and press the cartridge stop into the action, she’ll is dispensed into your hand repeat till tube is empty, open slide and catch that one, all done.
    Side ports are easier but once you get used to it, there’s no problem.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    The Corps started me off on 870's and I have never changed. I have four police and riot guns in different configurations, one is from the 60's and still running strong with full powered 00 buck. I imagine they will be handed down to my grandchildren after my son is done with them.

Boolit Master
    Must be doing something right. Have an older 870 with slug barrel with rifle sights, 870 express bought it when it was cheaper to buy the whole gun than buy a new barrel. And two riot guns. Those are fun to shoot. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    You can chamber load M37 and M17 Remington guns, I do it all the time. Open the action, now move the slide about 3/4 inch forward. Take a shell and slip it up into the action and into the chamber, close slide(after removing thumb!) stuff another couple in the magazine tube. When ready to unload, hand under the port and press the cartridge stop into the action, she’ll is dispensed into your hand repeat till tube is empty, open slide and catch that one, all done.
    Side ports are easier but once you get used to it, there’s no problem.
    Exactly! I am a lefty and don’t have any problems operating a M 37, not perfect but light and nimble.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Exactly! I am a lefty and don’t have any problems operating a M 37, not perfect but light and nimble.

Jedman
    You know you can switch the safety around on a M37 for left or right hand shooters??
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    I also should have noted this feature in my post; never had any issues single loading a Model 17. It's how my father taught us to shoot clay pigeons.

And with the Model 37s, the safety can be changed out from right hand to left hand but you do need the correct button (GunParts or Ithaca in Ohio has them).
    Last edited by nhithaca; 02-03-2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added comment

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    You know you can switch the safety around on a M37 for left or right hand shooters??
    No, Ithaca safeties are not reversible. There is a unicorn that is a "left handed" safety for a M37 somewhere. I've never found one for sale. I was hoping to try it on my Ithaca Mag 10. The safeties are simple, but a little tricky to take out. There's not a single video about a Ithaca safety.

Best bet for a left handed shooter on the fence is to avoid Ithaca. Get a Browning BPS if you like bottom eject.

My best friend's dad had a Ithaca 37 that had a left handed safety that looked factory. It was the only one I've ever seen.
    I used to love ejecting fired shells straight up in the air and hitting them with the m37s.
    My wife's m17 will not slamfire( holding trigger back while pumping), but I've had early 37s that would as well as m97s and m12s. It's not a good feature in my eyes.
    Short barreled m37s are great on the river- the hulls land in the boat.
    We need more pics, people.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    On e-bay right now-------------Left hand safety

Not mine
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 02-03-2022 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Ebay Links are Not Allowed

Boolit Master
    There is a unicorn that is a "left handed" safety for a M37 somewhere. I've never found one for sale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2022-02-03_141140.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	295750

I just took this screenshot off of the Ithaca website. Note one can choose either right hand or left hand safety.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post

Name:	image_2022-02-03_141140.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	295750

I just took this screenshot off of the Ithaca website. Note one can choose either right hand or left hand safety.
    Ithaca has a website!? I must have missed a big chunk of their history, because I was under the impression they went belly up in the 80's. I know they still existed until the mid 2000's as a smaller company, and the only reason I know that is because I have a shotgun barrel made by them that was defective, but they wouldn't touch because they were closing down. I can't think of a single Ithaca gun I've seen made in the past 20 years. I'll go one step farther, I'm 27 years old. I've never seen a brand new Ithaca in my lifetime.

So I have to ask, is this new Ithaca company the same? And if so, will their parts fit the older guns.

Boolit Master
    So I have to ask, is this new Ithaca company the same? And if so, will their parts fit the older guns.
    I would rate the new Ithaca pumps as the best ever made with that name. They manufacture the Inland Mfg. Ithaca trench gun as well as a lot of mouth watering M37 models, like a 28 gauge.

I believe that the only parts that might be problematic are barrels, since the older Ithacas (serial numbers below 855,000I believe) had barrels that aren't interchangeable with the Ithaca M37s made during the last three or four decades.

About 10-12 years ago, the Scheel's sporting good chain carried the new Ithacas, but they said they didn't move for them because people thought they were out of business and nobody wanted a gun for which they couldn't get parts.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember this happening, but they have really not done a good job on advertising. From the quick research I've done, It looks like the Ithaca most people knew went bankrupt in 1986. I'm assuming they sold what they could, Remington bought the Mag10 plans around that time. Some weird stuff happened for a while. It appears the name and at least the model 37 designs were purchased by some company around 2006-2007ish. They opened a manufacturing plant in Sandusky, Ohio. There's not much info, but internet chatter seems to really start up 2013-2014ish, which seems to be when they actually started making shotguns again. There's lots of talk, but not too many seem to have bought them.

I take it you own one, so maybe you can fill in the blanks. I'm not seeing any mechanical difference to the pre-1986 model 37's. I know model 37's before a certain serial number had fitted barrels to the frame, and afterwards were interchangeable. I see no mention on if these new "Sandusky model 37's" have interchangeable barrels, but I assume they do. Do you know if they will interchange with Ithaca 37's? They certainly look like a fine shotgun, but still appear to have all the 37's faults. It looks like they are trying to make the 37 as an upland bird hunting gun, which is great. That's exactly the best place to use one. That's some nice looking wood, they are a lighter design than most pumps, and their issues are non-issues for this purpose.

It appears they are doing a semi-custom model, similar to Freedom Arms. I'm not telling anyone what to do, but $1200+ for a basic pump action shotgun which doesn't fix the safety, and doesn't offer any advantage at all over an original Ithaca? Really? And they don't even offer a 16 gauge. That's a fail.

Edit: I found a page about their barrels. Their barrels possibly fit Ithaca 37's, but they don't sound too reassuring. If they don't, you can send the gun in to have them fitted.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-03-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Late to the party on this thread. Somehow I had missed this new section.

Remington 870 for me. Bought my first 12 guage Wingmaster, vent rib, 28" with modified choke when I was 19 years old. Told my wife (yes, married my high school sweetheart when we were 18) that it would be the only shotgun I would ever need. Well, 45 years later, I don't have that gun anymore, but I do have three 870's. A 20 guage with 3 barrels and a slightly shortened stock (for women & children), two 12 guage magnums with 3 vent rib barrels that I swap between them, 28" modified, 30" full, and a cut down 21" 'rabbit / bird' barrel. All are the older walnut stock and blued versions, not the Express.

But I do still have the same wife. Wouldn't trade her for a truckload of 870's. Plan on keeping her for as long as she will put up with me.

Boolit Master
    My 870 Wingmaster was the second firearm I bought. Has a 26" skeet barrel on it. Paid $167 for it back in 1976. Nice bluing, walnut stock. I have a 20 guage youth model that i use for grouse hunting and an HD model too. Never considered another brand because i'm so used to them.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	IMG_20200322_135253235_HDR.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	295774
    Photo of a gun I put together using a 1970's receiver and new front end parts from Ohio. No issues with parts fitting. Receiver is hard chromed and the barrel and mag tube are Ithaca's black nitrite coating.

We're down to three pumps, nothing fancy. My wife's inherited Remington 17, my 870 Express 12ga( also a 28" vr barrel), and the handiest of them all, a Remington 870 20ga Express magnum Youth. As far as the Express goes, I had to file a burr from the locking lug on the 12gauges bolt, but that's the only problem I've had with one of many. The 870 Wingmaster is much nicer no doubt but I seem to have given them all away.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast