RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The best pump shotgun

Banned

browning is similar to the 37 with bottom load and eject.

I have owned a lot of pump shotguns, 1 st place I would rate the M 12 and the 870 Wingmasters a tie, 2 nd place would be a Ithaca 37 and a Win. 1300 for their lightness and speed.

I know a lot of votes for the Mossberg but I have owned them in all gauges and have had parts break on all of them plus the Hi Standard Flightking.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 01-31-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I own two Mossberg 500's a 12 ga. and a 20 ga. I am a lefty. The 20 ga. is 47 years old and has never let me down. The 12 ga. is 40 years old and the plastic safety button broke on it. I replaced it with a metal one and it has served me well.
    That said I think the Browning BPS is a better gun. I think the Remmington 870 is a great gun but not for southpaws.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Remington 870, any model, all the way for me. Mossberg second, if I had to. Either are great guns. As was stated earlier, application will drive this commentary, oh, and nostalgia for certain brands and models, that has a lot to do with choices. As always, just my opinions.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned

still kick myself in the but for not buying a 12 gauge upland special when they were still being made. They even make a run in 16 guage. I should have grabbed one of them too.

Few threads have had such agreement on any subject! I like the 870, 37, and 500 in that order, but find any of the three very acceptable!

DG

Ithaca M-37 20ga, +595

I've owned/shot all of the above pump shotguns over the past 55 years, and a few that I shouldn't have (like a Noble) - but my 20ga Deerslayer is my keeper for local shotgun season for deer.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I've had a Mossberg 500 12 ga taking a beating since the 80's, just works, gritty, frozen, whatever, I do clean it when rained or dusted dirty real bad, detail strip once a year. I've had a Winchester 1200 and a Rem 870 but the TOP SAFETY on the Mossberg 500 works best for me. I've got Mossberg 500's as truck guns in 3 different trucks. A 20ga Bantam, a 12ga Turkey gun and another 12 ga with 20" barrel. I like the short barrels but with a the choke tubes, usually a modified in the gun. The Mossberg 500's seem to be lighter than most other pump shotguns, lots of different barrels available and price has always been very reasonable.

Definitely subjective and also there are varying measuring sticks to use but I’ll give it a shot. The Ithaca 37 is my all time favorite and is built the best(IMHO). The 870 is a flawless operator and probably has the most aftermarket accessories. The Mossberg 500 just works and used to be a bargain. The Winchester M12 is a legacy gun and again fits and feels comfortable and the Winchester 1897 just looks darn cool !

Boolit Master
    I always take the Mossberg 500/590. Just for the safety placement

Boolit Grand Master

Remington model 17 , 20 gauge pump ... my most favorite to take afield for birds or small game .
    Very light , slim , trim and points naturally .
    My Grandfather bought it in 1929 and all he ever hunted was "Birds" ... and that meant Quail !

But on rabbit , squirrels and crows ... it gave a good account of itself .
    The Remington model 17 (John M. Browning designed) is my favorite ...hands down !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    My favorites are my 1897s, my best is Remington 870 Wingmaster and Special Field. My main HD shotgun is Mossberg 500.

I have three pumps, all 12ga. an 870 Wing Master 2 3/4'' 28'' VR Mod. plus a 20'' smooth bore rifled slug barrel with sights and choke set I bought new in 1967 and still looks new, other than I added a 2 shell extension. A 1953 Ithaca 37 2 3/4'' 30'' full and my baby, a Ithaca 37 ''Magnum'' Model that came with a 30'' Full VR barrel that now has a collection of barrels, a 26'' VR with choke set, 20'' smooth bore Deer Slayer, 20'' rifled Deer Slayer, and a 20'' riot barrel, I got everything covered with that gun!

My baby with 20'' smooth bore ''Deer Slayer'' barrel. Lovely combination for buck and ball!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YR5Uhu9l.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	295569
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    I can't say anything bad about the 870s they are a wonderful shotgun , but I made a choice earlier in life to go with the 500s and I have never regretted it . I don't even feel bad about ruff handling them .

Boolit Master
    Might not be the best but I got this J.C. Higgins for my 16th birthday in 1955. It has killed a slew of quail and rabbits never failed me. It is a 12 ga.. with ventilated rib and has four choke tubes. Now my son has it and his son will get it later.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington Model 31

Slick

I found a nice HS Fliteking at Cabelas two years ago. It really is a great shooting and smooth shotgun even with its weird unremovable barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    For the price Benelli Novas are pretty nice. I'd put them with the Mossbergs 500's and Remington 870's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Remington Model 870 Wingmaster for me, followed by the 16 ga Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight. I don't like the safety in front of the trigger guard on the Winchester Model 12/1200/1300.

I have owned and hunted with several Mossberg pumps, what turned me off of them was doing monthly PMS when I had the armory on my first ship. They tend to be a PITA to take apart and put back together for no reason. That and the fact there are about ninety seven different versions of the basic model 500 with single or double slide bars and length of mag tube.

I did have a Marlin Model 120 Trap gun that sort of resembled a Model 12, it was a very good 16 yard gun.

Dad had a 16 ga that worked okay, I don't remember if it was a JC Higgins or a High Standard, but it worked.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I own a passel of pump guns and would say that I started with a model 12, 16 gauge 50 odd years ago and over the course of time have usually used them for the following purposes. Winchester 12 for Trap, Remington 870 for Skeet, Ithaca 37 Featherweight for upland hunting with a model 12 bringing up the rear for goose and duck.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast