Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The best pump shotgun

The best pump shotgun

This will absolutely be an opinion thread but may be fun; I'll start.
    I have owned and used Winchester 97s and 12s and 1200s, Mossberg 500s, Browning BPS, High Standards, Ithaca 37s, Savage 67s, and Remington 870s. Of all of these, I'll go with the Remington 870 with the Ithaca 37 a very close second.
    How about you?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like the Winchester md 12 but the Ithaca 37 comes close

Gmsharps

I looked long and hard before buying my first pump shotgun. Talked to a lot of people, including a lot of old timers.

I never did hear of anyone who really had anything bad to say about Remington Wingmaster 870's.

I have 3 now. Started with a 20 ga, had the stock trimmed to fit my small stature at the time. I inherited my Grandfathers Brother in laws 16 ga. Plain barrel, no rib, was made in the first 3 or 4 years production. And later when I was wanting to get into the shooting trap game. I found out I had a first cousin a year older than me that had an 870 special trap in 12 ga. Extra high comb on stock, higher rib, 2 beads on the rib.

All 3 have served me well over the years. I have yet to have a significant problem with any one of them.

All are the old original Wingmasters, not the cheaper express versions.

I will never sell one.

The 12 ga has stood behind my bedroom door loaded with 7.5 shot for over 24 years. Fully loaded, 4 in the tube, one in chamber, but with the action half open. No way it can go off my accident. You would have to push the safety over, push the forearm forward and pull the trigger to get it to fire. But it can be done in less than a second. Safe, secure, yet instantly ready at need.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    ah Mann, Pick One ? I have 3 Favs, the 97 Win. The 1200 or 870 Ford Chevy debate, & I'm still loving my 20ga. Ithaca featherweight delux from when I was 21 y/o ... PS I love my O/U ers Too! unclemikeinct

Boolit Grand Master

Like most things that depends on application.

For trapshooting with a pump Winchester Model 12 hands down.

For lefties Ithaca 37

For cowboy action Winchester 97

For hunting Winchester Model 12 with a very close second being a Rem 870.

For modifiable for the tacticool stuff the Rem 870 with the Mossberg 500/590 a very close second.

For extreme cold weather or home defense the Mossberg 590 with its center safety is hard to beat. The Rem 870 is a very close second.

If I could only have one it would be a Winchester Model 12.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-31-2022 at 12:35 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have a Win 97, an Ithaca 37, and an 870…the 37 is my favorite - it’s just so slick to run.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only use I have for a pump is as defensive weapon. The Mossberg 500 was what I picked...so it must be the best. Had three, now down to two. A friend wanted one when the peaceful protests broke out and offered me $1000 for one of my tactical guns. I sold it to him for $750.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    A topic dear to my heart! Best is subjective, the 870 has to be close if not it. It’s a solid gun that handles like a much more expensive gun. The M12 is a fantastic gun, but expensive and complex to build. That is true for the M37 and it’s sire, the Remington M17 as well as the Rem M31. The Later Winchesters that replaced the M12 were decent guns and handle well but were doomed because they weren’t M12s! I have never owned a Browning pump other than the M12 copies. Their bottom eject gun has never felt “right” to me so I have never bought one. Mossbergs fall into that same “feel” thing, and I don’t like the top safety. The design borrows heavily from my loved M31, it’s mostly the stock dimensions and aluminum receiver making the balance weird for me, I guess. Solid built guns, just don’t work for me. Same as the BPS.
    So, I love the M17 (and the 16 ga M37 and M12s) but the bottom loading causes many people issues. The M31 was an improved M17, that improvement was primarily the side ejection port, market wanted it, I see the advantage. Flightkings point well and are well built but never made in volume.
    My vote is the Remington M31 as best pump gun ever built. I want to say the M42 was the best, but only 410 bore is not very practical. The one gun I shoot the most is a M17 with checkered wood and a solid rib , made in 25. I think it is best for me, but long out of production.
    The current Ithaca M37s are fine guns, but the lack of a side port and cost work against it in the general market.
    The 870 probably deserves the title due to cost effectiveness and it (Wingmasters) performs almost as well as the M12 and M31 while being designed for manufacture rather than being hand fit.
    All above is about field or clay shooting, no opinion on 3 gun stuff.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    My BPS gets the nod over my 870 Wingmaster, except for the past few decades I've been more into the O/Us so the BPS and 870 don't come out to play too often anymore. That being said, I've always coveted my buddy's M12 Heavy Duck...

1st place is Ithaca 37, followed by the REM. 870. Of course in my case, gauge is the definitive criteria as to what gun comes in first place. No company that know back in the 60’s made a 16ga like Ithaca that was scaled just for the gauge without being too heavy or light. The Ithaca 16ga “featherweight was in a class of its own where a 12ga in that model was too light and kicked like a mule to a youngster. The 870 in a 20ga or 12ga was perfect for all the other task being proportioned just right for the intended tasks. Of course I’m not a big fan of 12ga 3” shotguns and consider them specialized tools for turkey and waterfowl. My .02

Boolit Master

For me it's the Remington 870 Wingmaster all the way.

Boolit Master

Have 3 favorites, the Rem 870, Ithaca 37, and Mossberg 500. I have one of each. The 870 was inherited from my little brother, the 37 came from an estate auction, and the 500 was purchased from a coworker because it was so cheap. The 500 is a 12, the other 2 are 20's. Would love to have a 16 37 Featherweight, though I have never seen one.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Only owned Marlin hammer sg’s, 1897s, Model 12s and a Rem 870 slug gun [wish I still had it- traded it for a Woodsman]. The Model 12s are the slickest, 1897s the coolest but the 870 was the most recent made. Should be the easiest to fix. I’d vote the 870 is the most practical but the ‘97 is the coolest. See what I mean. But the M12 IS the classiest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C380109A-2F9E-4CC1-A08D-7FFFA7C7AE25.jpeg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-31-2022 at 12:36 AM.

My top three.... 870, 870, and 870. In that order.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

20 gauge Model 12 was my first one I had then a Rem. 870 20 gauge. Loved the 20 ga. Ithaca 37 that a friend of my dad's let me shoot. The Ithaca is still my favorite even though I don't own one.

I have an 870 Express Magnum, whatever that is.
    It has a 20-inch rifled 12-gauge barrel, but I have never shot it in that configuration.
    I have a smooth bore 26-inch for it I got off of gun Broker.
    I originally bought it for deer hunting, but only problem, I never go deer hunting.
    Well, I needed some kind of excuse to buy it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve only owned 870s and they served me well.

Banned

870s 12s mossberg 500s ithacas are all great guns. Wouldnt be ashamed to own any and have owned at least one of each through the years. today i have one 870 one 500 and my favorite. A 20 gauge special field straight gripped browning bps. Its the last shotgun id get rid of.

Boolit Master

870 Wingmaster for the long haul.

Model 12 for looks and old school craftsmanship.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy

Ithaca 37. Bottom load and eject makes it ambidextrous, easy to take down, and no disconnector gives most of them made up to the 1980s the ability to be slam fired if needed. Based on a design by JMB, the Rem 17 shotgun.

Noah

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast