MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Files

Boolit Master

Files

I have a bunch of files and rasps they are all over the shop in different toolboxes and a big pile on the bench. They need to be better taken care of. I was thinking that maybe a caddy of some sort where they ere stood up in a box with a handle on it so i could move it or put it away???? do any of you have something that you bought or made for this purpose?? I would love to see some pictures!!! thanks mark

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    About a year ago I bought a magnetic knife holder for the kitchen. It worked so well that I bought another to hold other often used utensils. Now I am thinking about getting a couple for my shop to hod tools that I use often. It could work for files too.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Rack I need several of.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	295402 This is not my photo, and in fact I think it came from this site, but this is in the album of stuff I feel I need to make for my workshop. Labeled "File rack I need several of." And I need them in several sizes.

Bill <---- think I've mentioned the packrat ancestry here...

Boolit Master
    I have two magnet wall brackets I got from HF.
    I use them for my carving tools and sometimes files that I am using mounted on the wall next to the bench.
    I also have a drawer in my tool box that sits right below the wall brackets sitting on my side bench.
    That is where the bulk of my files go so they are easily accessable if needed.
    The only issue with the magnetic brackets that I have found is ,
    Over time they magnetize the tools.
    Then metal shavings sticks to the tools when you go to use them.
    Not a big problem , but sometimes is frustrating trying to keep them clean when using them.

Boolit Master

Do a search for "stroke-a-genius" file rack, by Guy Lautard, for links to photos and forum discussions of this issue. Personally, I use tool drawers.

Boolit Grand Master

My file storage varies from old worn in a drawer to a couple wood racks for better newer ones The newest ones and specials are kept in vpi paper and boxes out of sigh of other hands. For awhile I had several tools rolls that were used for files but made finding hat I wanted harder.

No magnetic strips here dont want to magnetize the files makes cleaning them harder and when working in steels they load way worse. I seldom store files with handles on them. In the drawers with the files there is also a small block of chalk to use on them and help absorb moisture away from them. There are also several file cards stored with them. A file is cleaned before its put away and then as needed while in use. The brushes work well but also a piece of soft copper tubing flattened on
    one end and straight cut and a small block of hard wood. these later 2 work good for dragging heavier debris and light pinning out faster than the pick does.

Keeping files away from magnets, oil, and waxes helps them cut a lot better and cleaner.

Boolit Master
    I use chunks of canvas fire hose screwed to my bench as 'holster' of sorts to hold my files. I put a single copper rivet through the middle of the bottom - it keeps the file from sliding through and allows debris to fall out.
    I recently helped my brother with his new garage and used little boys jean legs the same way.

(p.s. the hose is cast off from the local fire department)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Depending on the file size, I buy and use various length and diameters of clear plastic tubing (from Lowe's), cut them off long enough to cover the teeth of the files, and slip them over the file. Gives excellent protection - and allows you to still "dump" them in a drawer for storage!

The right size tubing squeezes / flattens to conform to the shape of the file and slips on and off easily.

I have a set (13) of very expensive hard-to-find miniature filing machine files (they cut on the pull - or downstroke - in the machine) and are very sharp. I use lengths of plastic drinking straws for those as they are small in size, something like needle files. I use them in my clock repair shop, saving me hours of laborious hand filing!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Depending on the file size, I buy and use various length and diameters of clear plastic tubing (from Lowe's), cut them off long enough to cover the teeth of the files, and slip them over the file. Gives excellent protection - and allows you to still "dump" them in a drawer for storage!

The right size tubing squeezes / flattens to conform to the shape of the file and slips on and off easily.

I have a set (13) of very expensive hard-to-find miniature filing machine files (they cut on the pull - or downstroke - in the machine) and are very sharp. I use lengths of plastic drinking straws for those as they are small in size, something like needle files. I use them in my clock repair shop, saving me hours of laborious hand filing!
    Where Jim is going. Anything that is plastic or rubber can be used. I've used skinny bicycle tire tubes cut to length to protect chainsaw files. Pieces of heat shrink for round and small needle files. The drinking straw protectors sound good too.

As for files/tools that become magnetic, they can be demagnetized. It is easy but do need the right part to do it. I use an old small clock type motor armature and a variac.

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master
    Best demag I have ever found:

Amazon - Delcast MBX Magnetizer Demagnetizer

Simple and NO power required. Works like magic to magnetize AND demag tools.

I have several around in all my shops.

Boolit Master
    I use the angled plastic combination wrench holders for tool boxes. A little wasted space but store nicely!

Boolit Buddy
    Odd's & ends of PVC pipe in various dia. standing in metal juice cans has worked well for me. The often used ones on the corner of the bench.

Other less used are stored horizontal on top of each other on a shelf. Usually 5 or 6 deep.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think it really matters as long as you keep the file(s) dry and protect them from banging around.

When I was a kid my dad had one good file, a 10" Mill Bastard, that he kept wrapped in a piece of newspaper and stored in the drawer of his gun rack. That file lasted for years.

Robert

Boolit Master

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1275.aspx

Saw this in the Brownells catalog and built one for myself. I made it from three layers of oak, 1x4.5x24 and (2) 1x3x23. I made the base stick out alittle more on the front and drilled it for all my punches and basically split the top. One half is med and fine jewelers files and on the right all my pillar and 1/2 round and chain saw files. I keep my checkering fils seperate.

I do not use fille handles.

Boolit Master

A magnetized file, for working on iron, I don't think yould ever get it clean.

Boolit Grand Master

a few 2Xs and a table saw you could make a pretty decent file rack pretty quick depending on file thickness 1-3 cuts together leave a spacer and another set of cuts. cut the back at an angle so the tangs are out in the open.

Boolit Master
    I would really enjoy hearing about member's methods for degaussing any tools! But especially files.
    Even "stainless" will magnetize after enough use, and it is a large pain.

Trouble with a magnet is that over time you’ll magnetize the file. Not an issue with a wood file but not good when filing steel. I have a plastic covered wire dish dryer [think thats what it is] with narrow slots bolted to my window frame. The file handles straddle the wires and support the files. The files are suspended between the wires and hang free. Works great.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 02-02-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I would really enjoy hearing about member's methods for degaussing any tools! But especially files.
    Even "stainless" will magnetize after enough use, and it is a large pain.

Re-read my post #10 above.

That will answer your question.

banger

I have a piece of wood mounted up high on my shop wall. I drove some finish nails into it where I hang the files by their handles. You could use dowels instead of nails I guess. The files hang there separately, not touching each other. They are high enough on the wall that I can reach the end of the files to lift them down. I found a deal on some Chinese file handles so they are all handled. Been working for at least ten years.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast