Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 gauge AS-Grizzly fullbore , rifled choke. First try.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a very interesting post. I ordered the AS Grizzly molds 12 and 20 ga. on 12/6/21. Shipping hasn't updated since 12/25/21. Maybe they'll start moving again soon. Looking forward to shooting these. 12 ga. is Rem 870, 20 ga. is Moss. 500 both rifled. AS website states that shipping can take up to three mos. or more. Sure hope it's not the "more" part.
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    Mine took two months,they warned about it before purchase.

These wide belted Grizzlys are rifled bore slugs but I'm stubborn and will make these fly from smoothbore,too.

I've been emailing everyone about a rifled 870 20 gauge barrel... Nowhere to be found or ordered, here in Finland.

That's why I bought a 12 gauge 870 with a rifled barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Petander, can you order from E-Bay????? I don't know your laws governing this.
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Petander, can you order from E-Bay????? I don't know your laws governing this.
    JAMESGR
    No.

But I'm proceeding here, cutting the cups & 3N37 helped.

Round holes @ 25 meters:

This is the Red Slug Load, components are pictured in my previous post. Antique load had tad more spread but needs confirmation of course. It was some 20 fps slower,too.

Boolit Grand Master

The holes look slightly oval in the pic but certainly not keyholes. Could be the way the paper is punching/tearing too.

Looking better anyway!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Yep it was -16°C and my fingers just didn't feel like taking a target to 50 m after chronoing and shooting two 25 m groups.

Might try tomorr... today. Oops bedtime 1.30 am now.

This may be a case where a fully rifled barrel is preferred to stabilize this slug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    This may be a case where a fully rifled barrel is preferred to stabilize this slug.
    As almost always. Especially with these nice,wide belts / bands.

I shot only three of each, 50 and 75 meters today.

50 m :

75 m:

Can't say "groups" here but my fingers were blue after I got the targets in place. No keyholing anyway, if not perfectly round holes. This is a HP after all, not a wadcutter.

I will probably shoot better groups when the weather gets reasonable. -4°F now and my (repaired) circulation takes its toll.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sir,
    I admire your tenacity. 19* here in Michigan and I have a number of “projects” but will not shoot when it is that cold.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Sir,
    I admire your tenacity. 19* here in Michigan and I have a number of “projects” but will not shoot when it is that cold.
    Thank you. It's almost summer...

I cast some more, I also made some Svarog Zveroboy tailwad slugs that seem to like my rifled Carlson's choke.

Boolit Grand Master
    Petander,

It was -20*F this morning and it has climbed to 10* by 3:00PM. I have many things to test, and at 71 years old I know my time is running down. But it is too damn cold. The cold does not bother me much if I am doing something but plopping my ass at the shooting bench is not a happy place. None of the stuff I do is very interesting to others. I will wait until spring to do my playing.

I enjoy following your progress even though I have no use for slugs. They are like a beautiful 25 year old blonde woman...nice to look at but hard to handle after many "sessions".
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I enjoy following your progress even though I have no use for slugs. They are like a beautiful 25 year old blonde woman...nice to look at but hard to handle after many "sessions".
    Well put!

And I hear you:

I got a second chance, my right shoulder miraculously healed after I wrecked it into a 24/7 pain machine by overdoing 70# compound / 60# trad bow practise for a couple of years. I shot 100 arrows every day,got carried away and forgot my age...

Even a 20 gauge and any pistol was too much, couldn't even put my hand in my jeans back pocket... glukosamine and low carb diet eventually helped more than I ever hoped for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Well put!

And I hear you:

I got a second chance, my right shoulder miraculously healed after I wrecked it into a 24/7 pain machine by overdoing 70# compound / 60# trad bow practise for a couple of years. I shot 100 arrows every day,got carried away and forgot my age...

Even a 20 gauge and any pistol was too much, couldn't even put my hand in my jeans back pocket... glukosamine and low carb diet eventually helped more than I ever hoped for.
    Overdoing it with a 70# bow, been there, done that. That was 25 years ago and my shoulders still aren't right. No hard-recoiling slug loads or big rifles for me!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

You can still have lots of fun loading your slugs down in the 1200fps range. Also barrel mods like Back Boring and Porting and Lengthening the Forcing Cone change the characteristics of the recoil to a much more pleasant slower push of an impulse.

If I can't shoot with only a Tee Shirt between my and the gun, then I don't want much to do with it. I can survive 1-2 shots with some heavier duty loads but they are the last ditch solution to a problem that I don't encounter very often,,, like almost never.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Yes, I agree Randy. I load my slug loads to 12-1300 fps, about the same recoil as a 3 dram trap load. Easy to shoot, exen in summer with a tee shirt on. My M500 came to me with 3 barrels, all of which are ported. It's become my favorite shotgun, lightweight, but doesn't beat me up. If it ever came to having to pick only one gun to have, this one would be it! I've been considering the Vang Comp modification you've spoken about, looks really attractive.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I like making "full power" loads to any given caliber. 20 gauge is not a kicker by any means - our T-shirt weather is so short that it doesn't matter. But I use a recoil pad even with 20, no more bare shoulder / metal buttstock plates!

My long heavy bench history is one factor with my shoulder pain so I use a PAST shield now. Just in case. The problems never come when shooting, pain comes a few days after, then all I can say is I screwed up again.

I should have gotten a PAST 20 years ago. Even lost a jaw tooth to recoil. I think one day the pain will come back... I still enjoy my 22LR:s. Meanwhile,big bores rule!

Made some candy this weekend.

Boolit Master

You're a good man, Petander! And you have the most beautiful slugs!

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    You're a good man, Petander! And you have the most beautiful slugs!
    Almost too pretty to shoot!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Yes, I agree Randy. ! I've been considering the Vang Comp modification you've spoken about, looks really attractive.
    If you decide to do Vang Comp Contact me first!!! and I will tell you how to get a hold of them and push your barrel thru the fastest way possible. just dropping my name will have a positive effect !!!

Also shooting your gun alot before doing the barrel mods will help you see the difference before and after.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Out of curiosity what does your colour coding signify... different alloys? Different wad column? Powder? Other? All of the above?

I'm not powder coating (yet anyway) but I like the option of different colours for different loads or purposes... along with the benefit of no leading.

Good looking slugs for sure!

Longbow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast