Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Lee 358-105-swc

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Lee 358-105-swc

Since this is presumably a handgun bullet, I'm posting this question here. If not the right place, please move it to the appropriate section.

Has anyone any experience with this bullet, in particular, revolvers? If so, what were your results?

Personally, I've never had much luck, accuracy wise, with bullets lighter than 125 in any of my Smiths, so I'm curious what you folks have experienced with this, or any other, lightweight 38 bullet.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Same here, never had very good accuracy from the 105 SWC when loaded in 38 SPL or 357 magnum cases unless it was pushed to max pressure in the 38 SPL. That was more than i wanted the bullet for. However, when loaded in smaller capacity cases such as the 38 S&W and the Fed 9mm meant for revolvers it proved a good bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I've had good results with it in 9mm and .38 Special with book maximum loads of Bullseye. In the .38, it doesn't hit point of aim from my model 10 so I use it in the model 15 and model 67 with their adjustable sights. It prints correctly in our 9mm pistols, though.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah ... Same here , it's OK in 38 special for short range target and tin can plinking and it's great for super light powder puff loads ... also easy on lead consumption .

It does great in , of all things , mid-range 9mm Luger Loads ! I have an old WWII era Walther P-38 that just loves this bullet with 4.7 grs. Unique ...it doesn't batter the gun and shoots to the sights dead on , POA = POI dead center on a bullseye and...accurately ! Surprised the Heck out of me !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I use them a lot for plinking because of the light weight and not depleting my lead supply. I shot a load around 750 fps from my model 14 Smith in my Ransom rest and they shot around 4 inches at 50 yards which was better than I thought they would. The only bullet that shoots better is a 150 grain RCBS mold 3.6 grains of 231 and they will do about 2 inches and I shot a lot of bullets of all kinds that were commercial and cast and most were about like the 105's with none shooting better than about 3 1/2 inches for 5 shots. Many were as bad as a foot or so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It does great in , of all things , mid-range 9mm Luger Loads ! I have an old WWII era Walther P-38 that just loves this bullet with 4.7 grs. Unique ...it doesn't batter the gun and shoots to the sights dead on , POA = POI dead center on a bullseye and...accurately ! Surprised the Heck out of me !
    Gary
    Same here out of my G26.5. My Taurus 92 doesn't like them so much. The Taurus needs shorter bullets, and when I seat this one deeper it doesn't feed.

Boolit Master
    I found it works great in the 380 ACP and popgun loads in a Marlin 35 Rem. Only used in a J-frame 38 Spcl for short range plinking(under 30 yards).

Boolit Master

It shoots low for me in .38s and 9MM. It does well in my KelTec .380 though. Accurate and cuts clean holes in paper.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

It is irritating, to me, for responses off topic. On that note, my experiences are with the Lyman, 105gr swc. Not sure if that disqualifies my information. In my Colt, it does poorly. Sized at .359 and .357 respectively, it does well in a S&W mod 66 and a Ruger blackhawk 9mm conv. The propellant found to produce best accuracy has been Red dot and now Promo. 3.4gr in 38 spec case and 3.0gr in 9mm case respectively. Both revolvers show good accuracy at 835fps and 810fps respectively. My results work with an alloy softer than Lyman#2. The softer alloy yields a slug running around 108gr to 109gr. Full groove of Best Lube. The greatest failure falls upon me not getting a four cavity mould. I have found good accuracy out to 75 yds. Does poorly on steel.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    The point of aim thing is a problem. I had good luck with it in .357 with VVN 310 and also with BE in 38 special. Both hotter loadings.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"