Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Lyman Comet 1 1/4 to 7/8 bushing...

Boolit Bub

Need Lyman Comet 1 1/4 to 7/8 bushing...

Hello,
    I need help finding a fine thread 1 1/4 to 7/8 course thread for standard dies press bushing. I bought a lyman comet press for 12 gauge, but it doesn't have the reducer bushing for using regular dies. Any help finding one for purchase appreciated!
    Hoyet

Boolit Grand Master

You need 1 1/4 fine to 7/8 fine thread ( modern dies are 7/8 14 thread per inch 7/8 9 is coarse) The 1 1/4 fine could be 12 or 14 tpi Im not sure which. I would check the press with a thread pitch gauge to be sure.You may find a bushing for the newer presses that will work in it.

It wouldnt be a hard part to make knowing the full dimensions. A piece of 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 round stock. turn the 1 1/4 dia to length and thread then drill under sized for 7/8 14 tap drill and bore to tap drill size ( this removes any the drill walked or wandered making it true and concentric). Lightly polish And chamfer sharp edges. Most metals will work cold rolled, stainless ( harder to machine), brass, aluminum ( would be a little soft) best would be pre hard 4140 an nice tough material that finishes nicely and is stable.

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the Lee 91604 adapter bushing.

https://leeprecision.com/die-adapter...ast-press.html
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lyman bushing for the Comet (single stage) and All American (turret) presses appears to be proprietary to Lyman. When I got my All American press it had a 16 ga die in the “big” hole and I finally ended up buying a Comet just to get the bushing! If anyone makes a replacement for this bushing, I would be very interested to bring my orphan Comet back to life.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Yep thats the bushing I need also

Boolit Bub
    The lee thread pattern is too course...too bad.

Boolit Master

did you try C&H ?

Boolit Bub
    Sorry...what is C&H?

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/ptb

CH lists a couple different ones. Not sure they are correct but they make a bunch

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought the threads would be 30 tpi, but if I’m reading the thread gauge correctly on those tiny little threads, the actual pitch is 28. The OD is 1.095” and the threaded portion plus unthreaded shoulder is about 0.75”. The collar around the top is 1.35” diameter and 0.19” thick, with knurling (except mine is all beat up from Bubba and his pliers.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    Yeah unfortunately none of the bushings offered by c&h are these dimensions....sadley.

Boolit Buddy
    Froggie,
    with an OD of 1.095" it sounds like you have a 1 1/8 x 28 od thread, which is an odd one. Have to get a machinist to make one.

Steve

Boolit Master
    well you have heard of hens teeth
    would be easier to find

Boolit Grand Master

Reading thru Green Frogs dimensions Its hiding in 1 3/8" round stock. Not an off the shelf part but doable

Boolit Master

you might try calling C&H. They might make one for you as if common they might add it to their list.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm wondering whether I would be committing a mortal sin by opening up the bore of my Comet press to take one of the currently available bushings. I've even got a couple of the Herters bushings that step their big bore down to take a 310 die! That's gotta be an oddball!

Alternately, it looks like I could make (or have made) a reproduction of the Lyman Bushing. IIRC, I once had Charlie Dell make up a repro bushing for the AA and had it bored and threaded to take a 310 die. Hmmmm... I wonder what I did with that one?

Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/ptb

CH lists a couple different ones. Not sure they are correct but they make a bunch
    hey thanks for that link to their bushing inserts. Nice to see they have a something for RCBS A2's 1-1/4"-18tpi.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Just throwing this out as I don't recall the name. There's an outfit in California that lists hundreds of adapter bushings and shell holder adapters for reloading presses. Some I never heard of. I was looking for a bushing once and they made it. Seems like I found a closer solution and didn't order it. Maybe somebody will remember the name and chime in here.
    I'd bet Lyman has some in the "back room" if only their customer service cared enough to research it and root it out./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend beagle, the information I’ve gotten concerning “obsolete” parts at Lyman is that they are purged… either sold off at scrap rices or simply hauled to the dump so they no longer have to deal with them. I’ve seen reliable reports of this having been done at least a couple of times with such things as sights and bullet moulds and cherries. I don’t hold much hope of getting the bushing from them. I’d love to have contact info about that Left Coast source though. I’m dreading having to turn that long, fine thread!

Froggie

PS Although I’ve watched pretty faithfully, I’ve seen precisely one of these bushings show up on eBay, and somebody else (actually at least two somebodies) wanted it very badly. The “winner” paid about as much or more for the bushing as I paid for my Comet with bushing!
    Last edited by Green Frog; 02-14-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    although it would eliminate it use for shotshells it might be cheaper to have it bored out and threaded for an available bushing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast