RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lube vs PC

Boolit Bub

Lube vs PC

Hey everyone, I’m new to casting in general and would like y’all’s opinion on lube vs PC. I’ve heard and read some conflicting stuff about PC not being good enough to cut lube out and lube not bringing anything to the table that a quality PC can’t do. So what can lube do and what can PC do? What applications would they each be best suited for? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I haven't done any statistically rigorous comparisons, but I SUSPECT that equal-weight polymer-coated bullets tend to develop higher velocities than conventionally lubed cast lead bullets (all other things being the same). I was shooting 14.8/2400/158 gr. SWC-PC from a 6" barreled S&W M28 .357 Magnum revolver and getting 75-90 f/s higher velocities than the same load using 158 gr. LSWC. I had my notes with me at the range, and when I saw the difference in velocities, I was convinced that I'd overloaded the PC rounds. I quit shooting them, put them away with a big note that said I needed to pull the ammo. When I did, they were all the right charge weight, 14.8 gr. of Alliant 2400. Same everything else, except the coating on the bullet.
    We're only talking about 6 or 7 percent more velocity, so I didn't exactly reinvent the wheel. But the chambers and bore in my revolver looked great, and the extra velocity didn't exactly SUCK.
    As to brands of PC-coated bullets, I like Hoosier and Missouri Bullet Co. If you succeed in turning out PC projectiles as good as theirs, you've truly accomplished something.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I sold my Lube-a-matic and went fully powder coat a few years ago.

I also much prefer commercial coated over wax lubed.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    I am not what you would call an expert but here is my opinion. I like pc bullets because they are almost like jacketed bullets. Most of my cast is in pistol rounds. I have only used lee alox and pan lubed, both of these can be a bit of a mess, the alox would get built up in the seating die, and pan lube worked but when I ran them them through the lee sizer die in ended up lube in places I did not want it. Maybe one day I will use a layman or rcbs lube sizer and find what I have been missing, have not seen the need yet.
    Last edited by redriverhunter; 01-28-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends. What are you trying to do? Plinking bullets for pistols or accurate (whatever that means) rifle bullets at over 2200fps? Are you processing a couple of hundred of different bullets at a time, or thousands?

If one was the best for every use, it would be used by everyone.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve started casting last year and went straight to PC. Pretty easy process and I’ve had good results right from the get go, still bought lube-a-matic, cause PC adds some thickness and my 700 grainers won’t fit into cylinder.

This is a practical example, no science what-so-ever behind it.

I shoot a 2x4 match once a month during the summer using a Rugar Redhawk in .44. I am only using 7.5 grns of Unique with a 250 grn. cast bullet. I will fire anywhere between 25 and 50 of these in one to two minutes so the barrel does get hot. With bullets lubed traditionally I will get some leading in the forcing cone area. With powder coat I can usually run a dry patch through the bore and remove almost all of the fouling.

If in doubt you can do both.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got rid of the greasy kid stuff long ago and all I do is pc
    like Brill cream a little dab will do ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Brill cream a little dab will do ya
    I believe this is wasted on some of our younger members.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I believe this is wasted on some of our younger members.
    Plop Plop Fizz Fizz

Boolit Grand Master

PC (powder coating) or CL (conventional lubrication) are just two ways to do the same thing .
    I started before PC was invented , Lyman 450 was bought in 1970 ...
    I never changed to PC because ... I size my boolits , that said one cycle (in -out) produces a sized , lubricated and if needed gas check seated boolit ...that fast , pull down , press lube handle , pull up ... Ready To Load .

I looked into the PC process and realized you have to size the boolit , sometimes twice , powder coat it , stand each boolit up on a tray , get the tray into an oven , bake the boolits , let cool and sometimes the finished boolit is too large in the nose or ogive to chamber ...
    I just don't see any time being saved by PC'ing and I see size problems created .

I can make my own lubricants ... I have to buy powders for coating .

It's two different ways to do something... If you could borrow a Lube/Sizer and do 1K boolits and then do 1K PC'ed ... it sure would let you know which way is right for you .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Anything you can do with traditional lubing you can do with PC and more. It’s good for pushing higher velocities with a softer alloy too. Make sure you get a powder that has a good reputation for working with the shake and bake method, that most of use use. Not all powders are the same.

Boolit Bub
    Ah all great great info thanks guys! One other thought I’ve had though is if I should (or even can) use a gas check on a powder coated bullet?

Boolit Master

"I can make my own lubricants ... I have to buy powders for coating ."

So you don't have to buy any ingredients to make that lube?

Gas checks work as well on PC as well as conventional lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    PC (powder coating) or CL (conventional lubrication) are just two ways to do the same thing .
    I started before PC was invented , Lyman 450 was bought in 1970 ...
    I never changed to PC because ... I size my boolits , that said one cycle (in -out) produces a sized , lubricated and if needed gas check seated boolit ...that fast , pull down , press lube handle , pull up ... Ready To Load .

I looked into the PC process and realized you have to size the boolit , sometimes twice , powder coat it , stand each boolit up on a tray , get the tray into an oven , bake the boolits , let cool and sometimes the finished boolit is too large in the nose or ogive to chamber ...
    I just don't see any time being saved by PC'ing and I see size problems created .

I can make my own lubricants ... I have to buy powders for coating .

It's two different ways to do something... If you could borrow a Lube/Sizer and do 1K boolits and then do 1K PC'ed ... it sure would let you know which way is right for you .
    Gary
    This is me, word for word.
    If I want long-range rifle bullets, I'll use my lubrisizer. For plinking I'll squirt some Lee Liquid Alox on a container of Lee Tumble Lube bullets, then shake, dry, and shoot.
    I've been powder coating bullets for my Glock, and for my Rossi lever action 357 mag.
    If I was just starting up I wouldn't buy a lubrisizer unless I was going to shoot long range/accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    The downside to powder coating is the girth it adds, then the accuracy you lose by having to size too much off the bullet.
    My best accuracy comes from shooting 9mm (undersize) bullets in a 357 bore. Powder coating adds some girth to the bullet, then a light sizing, .001-.002", makes them just right for a 38/357.

I'm waiting for Lee to sell a 147 grain 9mm mold.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    Ah all great great info thanks guys! One other thought I’ve had though is if I should (or even can) use a gas check on a powder coated bullet?

You may need to put the gas check on before powder coating and crimp it on , just so it will fit on the base .

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Plop Plop Fizz Fizz
    "Hey. You're Mona's kid aren't ya"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I shoot a 145gr GC out of BO. BLL(2 coats) & PCd. I cannot tell any real difference in accuracy or fps. Same casting session, same loading session with same load. Same chrony, same day.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Tried PC to solve some problems, leading in a 9mm, extractor fouling in a 77/357, and cylinder binding in a SP101. Fixed them all. Decided to give it a go in rifle calibers. Now I shoot relatively soft alloys, probably 8-9 bhn at 1.5-2 moa up to 2300 fps. It really helps stretch disappearing wheel weights. I shake (no bbs) in a polypropylene tub, sift in a steel mesh tray, and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes. Dump them out and separate the few that are stuck together. Let them cool, add a gas check if needed, then size. 1 lb of powder (good for thousands of boolits), a butter tub, a steel mesh tray, and a $5-10 thrift store oven and you are in business. Maybe a thermometer to check your oven. My only complaint is that it adds diameter to the gas check shank, and I have to tap my checks on vs having them just click into place.

These are exceptional groups in the thread below, but 1.5 moa is quite repeatable.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...30-06-and-2400

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast