RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: .25-20 win

Boolit Buddy
    In July of 2020, I purchased Winchester 25-20 brass from Buffalo Arms. Brass arrived in a timely manner, packaged in Winchesters current 50 each plastic bags. Price was .344 including shipping.
    How they managed to procure a scarce cartridge case, in the middle of a pandemic was mind blowing. Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in Idaho might be a better source for 25-20 Winchester brass in regards to a group buy.
    Rick
    PS I bought a lifetime supply at the time. My guess is, someone found a barrel of unpackaged brass at the Olin warehouse. Packaged it and Buffalo Arms bought it all.

LOL! Fooled me!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    In July of 2020, I purchased Winchester 25-20 brass from Buffalo Arms. Brass arrived in a timely manner, packaged in Winchesters current 50 each plastic bags. Price was .344 including shipping.
    How they managed to procure a scarce cartridge case, in the middle of a pandemic was mind blowing. Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in Idaho might be a better source for 25-20 Winchester brass in regards to a group buy.
    Rick
    PS I bought a lifetime supply at the time. My guess is, someone found a barrel of unpackaged brass at the Olin warehouse. Packaged it and Buffalo Arms bought it all.
    Something else I missed out on . Just my luck . I'll find some eventually , even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again. Congratulations on the score.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    sorry folks, got off track, group buy-- that would cure all our 25-20 brass woes.
    who wants too be the honcho or put it up something in the group buy discussion area to see what the interest would be, put me in for a box of 1000 to start out.
    ??? are there 50 more wanting the same????
    aint no sense having a gun that's little more than a door stop if you can't put together ammo for it. I still got plenty of Remington 6 1/2 primers reserved for the 25-20 and 22 hornet only
    Just found this thread and going backwards through it. I would certainly be interested in a group buy 25-20, 228 Bee and although I still have several hundred new starline 32-20s I’d even be interested in a little more of that too.

For that matter, I would actually be ok with a non-head stamp and a straight wall that I could neck down and trim to length and anneal myself for any of the three (like they offer with the Grendel basic brass).

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the thread where I found out about the 25-20 brass in 7/2020.https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nents-ET-Brass
    ET Brass received 25-20 Winchester brass first, before Buffalo Arms. Glaciers post about Buffalo Arms also having 25-20 is the one I acted on.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 02-12-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Quid pro quo both ways. He commits a lot of $$ to get a run of brass, but as a condition he becomes the sole purchaser, to protect his investment.

So, who ELSE can make .25-20 brass? We know for certain the Winchester (or one of its' sub-suppliers) has the tooling.

Shame we don't have Captech anymore. I'm given to understand that the machinery was dispersed, so no chance to revive that.
    Why don't we just pool funds and buy Starline 218 brass and then size up to 25-20 if we don't think Starline will make 25-20 brass for us? I'd rather size up .02" than size down .06" Have we heard back from Starline on our proposed group purchase? Makes me think I should buy tooling for 25-35 and then I'd be sole distributor of that brass (even to size down to 219). Depending on cost it wouldn't be a bad idea for 32-40 as I have a 25-36 that 25-35's come up short when fire formed.

Boolit Master
    No word back yet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I think we should negotiate with them, if we can get stamped 25-20 we can easily dump 5-10k pieces into the market and I'd guess that just the posters in this thread would account for ~3k more. If we have to go stamped 218 then it's harder to make up our needed volume in the market (Hornady did a huge run of 218 a few years ago).

@cwtebay can you keep us posted as to the communication with Starline? A slow response is pretty telling but...
    Last edited by .45Cole; 02-12-2022 at 12:40 PM.

A quick search on gunbroker is showing empty 32-20 sometimes getting bids at $1 ea. Some loaded ammo is approaching $1.50 ea. For my friend’s 25-20, we were patient and waited until actual 25-20 brass showed up along with some older factory ammo.

Boolit Master

Larry's West in Madison Alabama had 4 boxes of the 86 grain Winchester ammo yesterday . Brand new stuff at a hair over $80 a box . Hate to say it but I bought my limit of one box since this is the first they had in over a year. Went to their Huntsville store and they had two boxes at the old $66 a box price so I bought one and had my son get the other. Hard to believe they are making ammo but no extra cases .

Boolit Master
    Coyote 0 Marlin .25-20 one at 127 yards by laser measurement. Back door to pasture gate, no picture as raining to hard. Looked like a young one. Second one this year. First was a .32 ACP kill.

Marlin Model 1894 in .25-20 that was made in 1907 or shortly thereafter. Special-order 26" barrel is 2" longer than the standard 24" for this model. The special-order sights, folding front sight has an ivory bead, #2A Lyman #5 tang sight with locking lever rear barrel sight has a white line, a Winchester Express sight. Marlin offered Lyman sights through their catalogs so most of the sights, if original to the gun are Lyman sights.
    Last edited by warren5421; 04-11-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Larry's West in Madison Alabama had 4 boxes of the 86 grain Winchester ammo yesterday . Brand new stuff at a hair over $80 a box . Hate to say it but I bought my limit of one box since this is the first they had in over a year. Went to their Huntsville store and they had two boxes at the old $66 a box price so I bought one and had my son get the other. Hard to believe they are making ammo but no extra cases .
    Can get more money (and profit) from loaded ammo over empty cases. Unfortunately, this may be the norm in the future.

Boolit Master

250 cases and a hair over 300 mixed brands 60 grain bullets just brought over $500 on Gun Broker this weekend .

I have a Winchester 1892 from around 1912, 13 in 25-20.
    I found it in the pawnshop that does my transfers.
    I had bought an1894 Cowboy in 45 colt from a friend on another forum and went to get it when they showed me the 92.
    So they both came home with me.
    The barrel was pretty much trash and after a good while searching I found a model 92 barrel from around 1925.
    Together they don't look bad.

RP
    Last edited by Pereira; 04-11-2022 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Spellin

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I have a Winchester 1892 from around 1912, 13 in 25-20.
    I found it in the pawnshop that does my transfers.
    I had bought an1894 Cowboy in 45 colt from a friend on another forum and went to get it when they showed me the 92.
    So they both came home with me.
    The barrel was pretty much trash and after a good while searching I found a model 92 barrel from around 1925.
    Together they don't look bad.

RP

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345