Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .25-20 win

Boolit Master
    looking at those pictures makes me realize even more, I need to get out more often and explore a bit more before I'm unable and my maker calls me home, I've never seen one of those big eared long legged jack rabbits in person looks like a lot of fun hunting and might just be some good eats there too. the garden destroyers wee got out east here aint nothing like them critters in those pictures.
    ok head me in the right direction,

Boolit Master
    sorry folks, got off track, group buy-- that would cure all our 25-20 brass woes.
    who wants too be the honcho or put it up something in the group buy discussion area to see what the interest would be, put me in for a box of 1000 to start out.
    ??? are there 50 more wanting the same????
    aint no sense having a gun that's little more than a door stop if you can't put together ammo for it. I still got plenty of Remington 6 1/2 primers reserved for the 25-20 and 22 hornet only

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I gave up trying to find a reasonably priced lever, pump or bolt gun in 25-20 Win and jumped at a new carbine barrel for a Contender from Edstc.

They are (I believe a 10 twist) and it’s a real hoot! As a single shot I can run any bullet shape. My first good load was the Hornady 75 gr vmax and its snake eyes. I have not gotten over to cast yet but intend to.

The best powder thus far is Lil’Gun in my rifle.

Three44s
    I have a 15 inch Contender pistol barrel. Used for IHMSA silhouette. Wears a 3-9x Nikon scope. I use it to shoot the Field Pistol targets in a freestyle position. I too use the 75 grain Hornady, but I'm still using up the last of the hollow points I've found over the years. I've also shot a bunch of the now discontinued Sierra 75 grain bullets. My go to powder is VV N340. I recently purchased 400+ once fired pieces of brass for $150.00 and last summer found 2 boxes of factory 86 grain ammo for $100.00.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Though not a quarter bore, would the 327 federal out of a rifle be similar?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    sorry folks, got off track, group buy-- that would cure all our 25-20 brass woes.
    who wants too be the honcho or put it up something in the group buy discussion area to see what the interest would be, put me in for a box of 1000 to start out.
    ??? are there 50 more wanting the same????
    aint no sense having a gun that's little more than a door stop if you can't put together ammo for it. I still got plenty of Remington 6 1/2 primers reserved for the 25-20 and 22 hornet only
    I would definitely be on board with a group buy - but only if it was a 218 brass purchase. It only seems logical to have a case to neck up then down (at least in my own hands as well as what it sounds like many others' experience has been).
    But count me in for 2500 if we can get it done in 218. I just fired off an email to Starline probing that question.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 02-07-2022 at 02:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    I have a 15 inch Contender pistol barrel. Used for IHMSA silhouette. Wears a 3-9x Nikon scope. I use it to shoot the Field Pistol targets in a freestyle position. I too use the 75 grain Hornady, but I'm still using up the last of the hollow points I've found over the years. I've also shot a bunch of the now discontinued Sierra 75 grain bullets. My go to powder is VV N340. I recently purchased 400+ once fired pieces of brass for $150.00 and last summer found 2 boxes of factory 86 grain ammo for $100.00.
    I bought two boxes to get the cases . They were the only two boxes I could find locally and were marked down to $45 from $65 . That was sometime last year . Now you see boxes on GB for prices usually starting at $150 . Can't and wont pay that . Congratulations on finding brass at a reasonable price .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Apologies for the useless information!

Nope , I apologize for that part of the post sounding like it was aimed at you . It was not . Starline letting it be known that they do in fact have the capability to make the brass that we seek but that we can't buy it unless we want 50,000 or 100,000 pieces is what I was talking about . If they can do that they should be able to make a run or two a year for the public that would help if not end the shortage of both cases . Sorry for not making myself clear in the first post .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Nope , I apologize for that part of the post sounding like it was aimed at you . It was not . Starline letting it be known that they do in fact have the capability to make the brass that we seek but that we can't buy it unless we want 50,000 or 100,000 pieces is what I was talking about . If they can do that they should be able to make a run or two a year for the public that would help if not end the shortage of both cases . Sorry for not making myself clear in the first post .
    No offense taken! Thank you though!
    I look at Starline's deal with Load X as a sort of Rollin White patent. And if Steve has the business that he does, and decided to invest in his business by hiring Starline in the manner he did - I am on his side! But I'll bet if we throw some chips together, we'll be able to get a good deal together as well.

Quid pro quo both ways. He commits a lot of $$ to get a run of brass, but as a condition he becomes the sole purchaser, to protect his investment.

So, who ELSE can make .25-20 brass? We know for certain the Winchester (or one of its' sub-suppliers) has the tooling.

Shame we don't have Captech anymore. I'm given to understand that the machinery was dispersed, so no chance to revive that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    The last 25-20wcf I bought was Remington headstamped in 2012 from Black Hills. I imagine that they would have the equipment to make a run.

Bill

Boolit Master

Thing I don't understand is why .218 Bee has just flat disappeared in the last couple of years . I was buying it from Alabama Ammunition in Moulton Alabama at a reasonable price and they always had at least a few bags of Winchester and some hat was more expensive in 50 round boxes (Hornady ?) . Now you can't find it . I don't buy the multitude of new shooters , 9mm maybe but not .218 BEE . I don't think demand is less so why quit making it ? Wonder what the minimum order for cases would be from Winchester or Hornady ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post
    The last 25-20wcf I bought was Remington headstamped in 2012 from Black Hills. I imagine that they would have the equipment to make a run.

Bill
    Bill,
    They do not list any 25-20 or .218 Bee . Too busy with Creedmoor , Blackout and Whisper I guess . You would think since they got their start and made their reputation on the old calibers that they would still be making them all but that is not the case as far as the 25-20 goes . They do have 32-20 listed .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Thing I don't understand is why .218 Bee has just flat disappeared in the last couple of years . I was buying it from Alabama Ammunition in Moulton Alabama at a reasonable price and they always had at least a few bags of Winchester and some hat was more expensive in 50 round boxes (Hornady ?) . Now you can't find it . I don't buy the multitude of new shooters , 9mm maybe but not .218 BEE . I don't think demand is less so why quit making it ? Wonder what the minimum order for cases would be from Winchester or Hornady ?
    I don't know, but I love that caliber! I have a model 43 and I gave my brother my 1885 Winchester in 218 Ackley Improved.
    I am fortunate enough to have socked away enough brass for now, but I am concerned that it won't last forever.
    I have made it from 32-20 brass - but a couple of issues; namely that I can't seem to stop wasting several during reforming (and I have listened to about everyone who has an opinion on their technique), and that I also have young shooters and 32-20 firearms - so the headstamp is of concern.
    Yes, I have 22 Hornets - but I just like the Bee and its abilities with different weight bullets and its abilities at a tish longer range on gophers and prairie dogs.

Boolit Master

No offense taken! Thank you though!
    I look at Starline's deal with Load X as a sort of Rollin White patent. And if Steve has the business that he does, and decided to invest in his business by hiring Starline in the manner he did - I am on his side! But I'll bet if we throw some chips together, we'll be able to get a good deal together as well.

I can probably come up with the coin for 1000 , maybe 2000. Last year this time I would have bought 5000 but unfortunately they force retired me and my social security has yet to start added to the fact that I just bought a farm in Alabama equals not much play cash for Eddie . If anybody hears anything positive from Starline on a group buy I am interested and will come up with the cash to cover my part.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    this is getting interesting. never heard of load x before, but quick visit to the website it does not seem to work properly when trying to pull up catalog stuff they are trying too sell.
    but regardless, if a bunch of us get together as group buy to get tooling made by starline we could have our needs filled for 25-20 wcf brass.
    wondering now how to it all works with starline and how many would need to be ordered.
    There is a button to click that says Catalog , click that then when it loads click the download button at the top . The sight is being reconfigured but the pdf download still works . It is either a 2020 or 2021 catalog though , might not be current on pricing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Sadly, the 25-20 looks like it is an endangered species. Would love to have one as it looks like the perfect general purpose round. Seems like a scaled down lever action aimed at light weight would be a perfect fit for it. We can dream I guess.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922856495
    Marlin did limited runs of both 25-20 and 32-20 but they didn't offer them very long . I wish Ruger would do a Marlin 92 in both calibers but they won't . That might be enough to get the ammo makers interested in offering cases and ready rolls in larger quantity .

Boolit Master
    A Colorado acquaintance used a very worn Marlin 25-20 pump gun to 'subsistence hunt' cow elk in the thick timber where he lived. He would shoot them in the heart slightly quartering away at 25 yards or less. He said they would just walk a few steps, lay down and they were done.

Boolit Master

I don't know, but I love that caliber! I have a model 43 and I gave my brother my 1885 Winchester in 218 Ackley Improved.
    I am fortunate enough to have socked away enough brass for now, but I am concerned that it won't last forever.
    I have made it from 32-20 brass - but a couple of issues; namely that I can't seem to stop wasting several during reforming (and I have listened to about everyone who has an opinion on their technique), and that I also have young shooters and 32-20 firearms - so the headstamp is of concern.
    Yes, I have 22 Hornets - but I just like the Bee and its abilities with different weight bullets and its abilities at a tish longer range on gophers and prairie dogs.

My .218 Bee is a 43 and my Hornet is a 340 . I have a fair amount of Bee brass but not enough to start converting it . I have not got to the point of trying to convert the 32-20 brass but the loss of a few would not be a big issue . I don't have a supply of 32-20 to convert and I have heard that the converted stuff does not always work in any 25-20 chamber without some thinning which I am not setup to do . My 25-20 is a model 25 Remington pump and the older Remington pumps are well known to be finicky about brass and COL as as well bullets.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923441638

This is a box of loaded .25-20 ammo. Has two days to go and hasn't gone crazy (yet).

Don't much care for that seller but beggars can't be choosers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923441638

This is a box of loaded .25-20 ammo. Has two days to go and hasn't gone crazy (yet).

Don't much care for that seller but beggars can't be choosers.
    That's not loaded ammo - It's just lead .257 slugs
    Being human is not for sissies.