Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Using cardboard to test hollow point 44 bullets

Using cardboard to test hollow point 44 bullets

For some reason I am not able to reply to threads,so I have started a new thread. What's your thoughts on using card board to test hollow point bullets instead of news paper. Thanks..
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Master

I would think it would:

(a) Take much thicker stacks of cardboard to trap the .44 bullet/boolit because of the air voids between each layer of cardboard.

(b) Would think it would be easier to acquire/book up/wet and contain newsprint compared to Card board.

Keep us informed on progress when you try/test. I am interested.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    i would assume that cardboard would work just fine in layers, just be sure of your back stop....it might go farther than the cardboard.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think my answer is exactly what your looking for, but I test shooting one 16/20 once water bottle with dry cardboard behind the bottle then fleece blankets folded and a piece of cardboard between each folded blanket. I get 8 layers of blanket when folded. Pistol round hollowpoints will reach the 3rd or 4 blanket and the cardboard is to see if the blankets are expanding the boolits more. Usually not and if so not much.
    The first two pieces of cardboard with a center hit on the water bottle tell you what to expect. I have checked this with 35 Remington boolits at 100 yds and it's pretty close to what we see in the field.
    Three or four blankets for handguns is enough under 1000 fps., double that for rifle/100 yds. at around 1800 plus or minus.
    Tony

Wet cardboard would work, but as noted, it would take quite a bit & you would want compress it.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Vendor Sponsor

it will take alot of cardboard... Thickness wise
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    There is no easy way to test bullet expansion. And then there is the nagging doubt.... will it work the same in flesh? So far, ballistic gel is what bullet makers have standardized on.

For self defense, 100 bullets that cost $40 will last a lifetime. A couple of dozen to sight the gun in and the rest to carry. Even if you buy another box, you are under $100 and have peace of mind...priceless. And they have been thoroughly tested.

I use premium factory bullets for self defense. Then find a cast load that shoots to the same POI as factory bullets and practice with cast. I have carry ammunition that is over 15 years old... not a lot of BG's to use it on.

Just another way to look at. $100 of bullets is a lifetime supply and saves a lot of work and doubt.

If you were using a .455 Webley and could not buy bullets made for self defense, making your own is the only path available. With the calibers most of us use, factory bullets are a better way to go IMO.

Here is a guy testing .44 Spl in a snub nose, but there are other videos out there:

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/...el-pc-hp-test/
    Don Verna