MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: NOE 432-216-RF Z1 application?

Boolit Buddy

NOE 432-216-RF Z1 application?

Hello all,
    I'm still getting accustomed to the wealth of options here on this site, If this post is better placed elsewhere please let me know.

I have acquired quite a number of cast/coated HP bullets from this mold. The ones I have are at about 12 BHN, are plain based, sized to .430, and weigh between 210-212 grains.

1. What do you believe is the best application of this bullet via an S&W 29-2?

2. Would you consider this suitable for hunting deer? It seems most prefer a bit heavier bullet without the hollow point?

3. I can find no load data for it in the books I own. Your suggestions much appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Most any soft skin critter around 150 pounds will likely become table food with that slug. I wold not push it over 950 fps and go through the ribs on deer. It is soft and that HP will open fast.
    Lesser critters are going to get well thwaped with that cast at 950 fps.
    I like heavy for caliber, flat nose and not hard cast for my all around cast. I can use it for anything anywhere and never have to wonder.
    Your slug I would load in our 44 Specials for plinkers and 100 pound or less critters and have fun.
    In 41 mag, 45 Colt and 43 mag I like 250 + grain cast.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    looks like your doing everything right. not knowing what powders you have won't even get into that. there's lots of good data online at Allianz.com, western powders.com, Imr.com, norma.com ect. as long as you start low and work your way up with most powders anyway some can't be downloaded much like h110/w296 you should be good with data for a 210 grain or 225 grain load data. because of powder coat you could push that bullet in any 44 mag easily 1200 fps no problem maybe even way past that. depending on your barrel and chamber diameter. I shoot a few different 44's and size to .431. and never have any leading problems even without powder coat, just plain old lube sizing.
    as far as best application you can shoot that in any 44 mag or special. you won't know about accuracy till you try different powders and load levels.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey thank you both very much! Appreciate the help.
    I was hoping to load these for .44Spl to make a comfortable and useful round.. a 'plinker with utility', if you will.

Missionary5155
    I too feel much more inclined towards a wide flat nosed heavier offering. It's just that I have these now and am wondering about their utility. I have a reasonable collection of all the popular powders, and lots of sized and primed .44Spl brass waiting next to the press. Just haven't found a starting point for this bullet yet.

ETA: to add further I'll start a different post re a Lyman HP bullet, of which I also have a small accumulation, in hopes that someone with experience with this bullet will chime in. Again, very much appreciate your assistance!

Boolit Master
    -- That should make a good personal defense bullet. With soft alloy & HP, that bullet if pushed should open abruptly with a lesser penetration factor. So less concern about its back stop. But there is always a concern what happens after full penetration. In a carbine or rifle that boolit would be a coyote's worst nightmare.

Boolit Master
    44spl, with some popular alliant powders. I'd start with 6.5 grains be86 or 5.2 grains of bullseye or 6.9 grains of unique
    these are starting loads work up to 10 percent more and see how it goes
    if someone else wants to chime in and double check my estimates of where to start. im pretty sure what ive recommended will be safe.
    you could always email alliant.com and see what they say

using accurate #5 powder, 7 - 7.8 grains, got this one right from the western powders hand loading guide number 7 for 220 grain lead round nose flat point bullet in 44 special

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot a grand total of 1 deer with a 210swc. Normally use a 250 swc running about 1300 using 2400. I get better accuracy with 2400 instead of H110/W296. The 210swc is over a small charge of Red Dot running 600 to 650 fps in a 44 mag case. Bullet put two holes in the same side of the deers hart. Usually use that bullet to shoot rabbits and squirrels. A small charge of Red Dot in a special case would work. The only reason I use mag cases is that was all I had when I started playing with the lite bullet.
    Steve

Boolit Grand Master

Be excellent in the 44-40 loaded over BP. Fill the large lube groove with BP lube. I'd guess that was what the bullet was designed for.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    10-12 grains of Unique under that bullet in a 44mag case should get you about 950-1100 fps depending on your barrel length. Would be a soft shooting load. I am certain it would take deer but I would keep the range short. I load a similar weight non HP over 10 gr Unique for plinking loads.

Boolit Master
    Many deer have been taken with the 44-40 with around 200 gr bullet at around 1300 fps. I can see no reason that bullet wouldnt work. Just place your shots like you need to do with any load.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all.
    Can you direct me to a resource that specifies Unique? I haven't been able to find one online for this bullet in .44Spl.

I did find via the Hodgdon online reloading data page two entries for something close: a 200 grain cast LRNFP, one using H4227 (13-15grs for 879-1051fps) and the other using Titegroup (4.5-5.4grs for 846-973fps).
    I have these three powders and a few others.

I would use data for the Lyman 429215. Unique, Red Dot, Promo and Power Pistol might do well.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks gents. I tried the low end 4.5 grains of TiteGroup and was very pleasantly surprised with the results.
    Very mild shooting and accurate.