Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Help ... Need help with Winchester Mod 59 WinLite

Moderator Emeritus

Help ... Need help with Winchester Mod 59 WinLite

My little brother's father-in-law passed and he, my brother, became the owner of a Winchester Model 59, WinLite, in 12 gauge and modified barrel. The father-in-law did not maintain it and the action will not fully open. Rust in numerous steel parts. Stock need some work. Does anyone have any experience with a 59? I need know if there are any special tricks I need to know before I attempt to break it down and see how much work will be required to try to restore it....or if it is worth the effort. If anyone has a old manual that I could get a copy of I would be appreciative as well....Thanks for reading. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

When they're taken apart, the bolt will need to be retimed

Winchester Model 59 bolt timing adjustment

Check gun is empty

Close the bolt.

Remove butt-pad

Remove wishbone wire clip

With bolt closed, back off aluminum screw plug with large slot, until the bolt will not stay locked in the open position.

When you get to that point, reverse the process screwing it in till the bolt locks back.

Place your finger on the operating handle and pull back and see how far the bolt will travel to the rear from that locked position.

By adjusting the aluminum plug 1/4 turn at a time till the bolt locks and you have approximately 1/16"-1/8" inch of rear bolt travel from the locked position.
    Sometimes you can hit the mark on the first try.
    Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it right.
    When re-inserting the wire clip, make sure it goes into the set of holes in line with the slotted plug closest to the adjustment."

Make sure the stock is secure but not over tightened.
    It's tightened by the large aluminum housing that holds the action spring.
    Make sure the stock is just snug FIRST! Do not over tighten!
    Then make the above adjustments!!
    Then your gun is properly timed and should last for quite some time

If you find that the empty hulls being thrown a farther distance, it's a sure sign it needs to be retimed.

Do not file the ejector - it's a death knell for these guns!

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride