Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 17 hmr

Boolit Buddy

17 hmr

I have been on the fence about getting a 17 HMR for a long time. I have a 22 but for some reason I think I need a 17 HMR. Is there any value to the HMR? Your thoughts on the 17 HMR. thanks rrh

Boolit Grand Master

That depends on application. I love the several that I own for shooting prairie dogs for under 125 yards. Zero wind days you can stretch that by quite a bit. For edible game they tend to be too destructive unless you use FMJ's. With the ballistic tip the chance of ricochets are almost zero. Cost more to shoot than the 22LR but normally more accurate and more range.

Thru the years my HMR's have killed around 10K of prairie dogs some fox, coyotes, beaver and muskrats.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

They are popular for a reason or two; the accuracy and velocity come to mind. And they aren’t that loud, either. Crows around here hate it.

Moderator Emeritus
    I really like the 17 HMR. Mine is very accurate as was mentioned. The POA and POI at 50 and 100 yards is the same, which is very convenient. I have on,y shot at eggs and potatoes, and they both really explode when hit!

Boolit Master
    My CZ 455 will shoot .28” groups at 75 yards with some lots of select ammo. Even the average lots of ammo shoot under and inch at 100 yards. My first shot at any animal was at a woodchuck at a lasered 208 yards and it dropped in its tracks. It is far more accurate than any of the .22mags I own, and it shoots groups that rival my .22lr target guns. It extends the range by a very considerable margin. Attached pic is six shots fired at a 7/8” target dot at seventy-five yards (last six bullets in the box).

Boolit Bub
    The 17hmr is a great choice for squirrels once the leaves come off. I started with a savage and then moved on to a CZ 457 and now I have a Lithgow 101. The 457 was nice but the Lithgow shoots tighter groups. Do yourself a favor a get a suppressor if you are going to hunt with a 17.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That depends on application. I love the several that I own for shooting prairie dogs for under 125 yards. Zero wind days you can stretch that by quite a bit. For edible game they tend to be too destructive unless you use FMJ's. With the ballistic tip the chance of ricochets are almost zero. Cost more to shoot than the 22LR but normally more accurate and more range.

Thru the years my HMR's have killed around 10K of prairie dogs some fox, coyotes, beaver and muskrats.
    Yeah, exactly what he said! Good for PD’s and Groundhogs too. I’ve done groundhogs at 200 yards. Never stretched it beyond that.

Boolit Master
    Back when I was trying to decide what direction to take with my guns, I considered investing 17HMR. I ended up concluding that the price was disproportionate to the performance, and that .223 would be about the same price and cheaper when reloaded.

Is that still true? I know that now is not the time to be making ammo price assessments, but still...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Back when I was trying to decide what direction to take with my guns, I considered investing 17HMR. I ended up concluding that the price was disproportionate to the performance, and that .223 would be about the same price and cheaper when reloaded.

Is that still true? I know that now is not the time to be making ammo price assessments, but still...
    Currently 17 HMR if expensive like all ammo. I shoot a lot of 17 HMR so the most cost-effective method PRE-SHORTAGE was to order in volume thru Midsouth. If I waited for sales $8.99 per box was the average. I would order a minimum of one case (2,000 rounds). They had a sale a few years back and it had rebates so I ordered 4 cases. After the rebates it was 6.99 a box. Currently it's about $19 a box thru Midsouth. I am down to about 4 1/2K but that should hold me thru the current shortage.

On PD's the advantage of the 17 HMR over the .223 is noise. The louder the report the further out you spook the PD's. We shoot the 17 HMR first than move to the 223 than something bigger. Normally with the 17 HMR two of us would get 50 or 60 shot each before needing to switch to the .223's. Couple of times we each got 200 shots each before needing to switch. With the 17 HMR 90% kill rates is normal for us.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2022 at 09:12 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I use three rifles when I go chuck hunting. An Air Arms TX200 air rifle, A CZ455 varmint 17HMR, and a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The 17HMR is a solid varmint rifle. It really surpasses the 22LR by leaps and bounds. When I wipe out a colony of chucks I will use the 17HMR to take out the adults. Then I focus the Air Rifle on the pups. I have made kills with the 17HMR out to 238 yards. But where it's sweet spot is, is more like 75 yards out to 150.

This is the only group I have shot with it at 100 yards that I have taken pictures of.

Some bullets it hates, some it likes. I have found with mine likes and it is one of my favorite rifles.

Boolit Master
    Around my parts ammo is pushing .76 cents a round. More than 223. With that said for some reason i have always wanted a 22 hornet or k hornet. Not sure if that is worth buying anymore. Sold my 204 ruger was not to happy with it.

I say 17hmr is great if you can afford the ammo. I cannot.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Banned
    i'm not the one to buy a new rifle. its got to be blued and wood, i hate "plastic". but............

i've been thinking of the cz 427 american or varmint. the cost of the ammo keeps me from buying one. so i'll keep using a 20 vartarg.

Boolit Bub
    Just picked up some Winchester 20 gr for $12.99/50. Guy said they are getting shipments regularly. Hopefully the prices are starting to come back down.

Boolit Bub

I like my 17 HMR, Ruger 77, was late FIL'S had plenty of Ammo from the Savage I gave to son, They shoot well and a good training round for grand kids when come to the house.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been shooting the .17 HMR since it was released. IMO it is the best of all the rimfires in terms of accuracy and as a critter-gitter. Buy a CZ and a good .17 cal cleaning rod. (Regular cleaning required for max accuracy.) You should be quite pleased with it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Picked one up years ago and love it. From the "For what it's worth department", took a piece of angle iron to my backyard range and set it up. Shot it with a .22 LR and knocked it over. Shot it with a .22 mag and the impact dented it. Shot it with a .17HMR and it burned a hole through the steel like I hit it with a cutting torch. Perfect round hole. Similar effect on woodchucks.

Boolit Master

The 17 HMR was my favorite sage rat caliber.
    Now that ammo is $19 a box plus shipping.
    I can reload center fire with jacketed bullets cheaper.

17 HMR is highly impressive to me. I shoot it out of a 14 inch bull barrel Thompson Contender. Also have a 14 inch 22K hornet barrel these two always are in contention for my most accurate firarms.