WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great price on Crosman .177 HP pellets

Boolit Grand Master

Great price on Crosman .177 HP pellets

As posted previously, I have embraced PCP shooting to provide cheap trigger time and conserve components. Seemed wasteful to use $100/k primers to plink with.

I just ordered 10 tins to augment the 20 tins I already have.

Here is the link. If the mods delete the link (not sure of the rules), just go to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DM0ZIU...hk_typ_imgToDp

$6/500 delivered is a very good price IMO. Lots of fun/$.

15k primers valued at $1500, add in powder $350, and home cast pistol bullets $350 (alloy) and I am pushing over $2200 for 15k rounds of pistol plinking ammunition. Cost for PCP shooting, $200. Our two Crosman 1701P's (his and hers) with Sig Romeo 5's cost under $1000. Groups are 1/8" at 10 yards. Have not tested at 25 yards (too damn cold) but expect about an 1".

Time for me to cast and lube 15k bullets is 40-45 hours. Time to reload 15k rounds is 20-25 hours. 65 hours to make 15K rounds of plinking ammunition. Time to order 15k pellets...

After more than a year of primer/powder shortages, and high prices, I am blessed that the challenge to keep shooting economically has worked out for us. It is unlikely I would ever have bought PCPs otherwise. The four PCP guns and other stuff were paid for by selling primers, powder and factory ammunition we had "hoarded" to those who needed them more than we did.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered 5 tins of the.22 cal pellets which are also on sale. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Ok so I saw this thread and after reading all the posts I have decided to rebuild my Disco. It has been in parts for a few years with a chipped valve. So I am ordering the parts to bring it back to life. Some pellets too. Thanks guys .

Now I just need a pump since I used to use my scuba tanks to fill it and no longer dive for the uncle sam.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Ok so I saw this thread and after reading all the posts I have decided to rebuild my Disco. It has been in parts for a few years with a chipped valve. So I am ordering the parts to bring it back to life. Some pellets too. Thanks guys .

Now I just need a pump since I used to use my scuba tanks to fill it and no longer dive for the uncle sam.
    Great!!!

Part of me says...."Don't spread the word about PCP's because that will reduce supplies and drive up prices". Then the better part of me (I am not sure a have a good part LOL) says, "Folks who want to shoot need to realize there are great options for cheap trigger time".

We used to able to buy a brick of .22's at K-mart and shoot with the kids all weekend. Not so affordable now with .22's near $50/brick.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the headsup! I just ordered and have coming 3,000. (As a btw for .20 shooters -- .20 caliber has become quite scarce -- Midway has some great stuff (imho) H&N Field Target Trophy Air Gun Pellets 20 Caliber 11.42 Grain 5mm Head-Size Domed Tin of 500 at $16.99 USD -- also with free shipping with orders at or greater than $49.00 USD. Higher than the .177, but at a fraction of what some are hoping to get for it. It comes out to about 3 cents a pellet.)
    geo

Yep, and no range fees or gas money shooting in the back yard and no ear plugs or muffs

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Yep, and no range fees or gas money shooting in the back yard and no ear plugs or muffs

Perhaps for you, as well as I am certain many others. However, for me, I played in too many bands for too many years -- with my piano generally stationed with the electric bass to my left and drumset to the right. Hence, what little hearing I have left -- I wear muffs while shooting my airguns.
    Also -- I live in a municipality where I suspect a spit-ball might get one in trouble ;( -- arrow, darts, pellets, and anything coming out of a powder-fired barrel being more than a no-no.
    On the other hand, I do have a camp where I may (and do) shoot (air guns) to my heart's content. Vis mileage, it is about two miles more distant than one range I'm a member of; but, about ten miles closer than the other.
    Not "a free lunch" for me...
    I envy you and others who may discharge airguns in their back yards!
    geo

I had actually just got 4 tins of .177 to feed that new Winchester 1100s break barrel.
    Thought about 4 more and decided I really did not need them at this point.

I will agree with the new higher prices for primers, powder, brass, and even lead is inching up.
    Whole lot easier to keep your shooting eye in shape with an air rifle.
    Plus I can shoot those in the basement. No hauling bags of gear, no getting dressed for sub zero temps, no driving on snow covered roads.

Just walk down the stairs, turn on the lights, hang a target. Shoot, turn out the lights and walk up the stairs.

And best of all, no one else knows.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Vendor Sponsor

went the PCP route in the previous shortage of components then kind of let it die.
    Revisited it this time and went whole hog in Hi end PCP rifles and I must say highly impressed.
    extremely accurate Out to 200 yds even
    For a deer/hog hunting gun the Airforce Texan with a Maddog stock is a deadly combo
    for long range target shooting the FX Maverick or FX Impact is the bees knees.
    As a Bonus I cast slugs for all these guns so Projectiles are cheap and custom sized for MY guns
    If you have not looked at PCP guns you don't know what you are missing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I haven't crossed over to the PCP world, yet. I have two springers in .177. I have a Diana 430L and it shoots great and I have a Weihrauch HW50. The Diana was about half the price
    of the HW50 and shoots a bit harder. I have a pile of pellets and can shoot either of these for a couple of dollars for an outing. That usually last until I get tired of cocking those
    things which is a 2 or 3 hundred shots.

Boolit Master
    I have a springer which I mess with on occasion, sounds like in the future I will need to invest in a PCP. Bought a few tins of the 177 HPs, thanks for the heads up!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I have a springer which I mess with on occasion, sounds like in the future I will need to invest in a PCP. Bought a few tins of the 177 HPs, thanks for the heads up!
    I question "need" vis a PCP . Albeit I have both PCP pistols and rifles -- I have not -- nor do I ever intend to -- get rid of any springers. Fifty years ago or so I bought an el cheapo springer from a medium-box (they didn't have big box, yet) store, and it was not one I chose to ever shoot, On the other hand, fast forward twenty or so years and a (music teacher) colleague of mine bought a new Beeman. I was immediately impressed, and then some!
    Springers have every bit as much of a challenge as a PCP. And, vice-versa. With the PCP, via a pump, SCBA tank, or a compressor you need air. For the springer, you need a bit of muscle. (I induce spring pneumatics here -- e.g., the Beeman P2). Neither is a "free lunch"!
    What I am most friendly suggesting is that junk of any style is.... junk! However, to my way of thinking, my Weihrauch and Beeman springers are every bit as fine an airgun as most PCPs I have! For kicks, check out Airguns of Arizona and Pyramid Air re prices on these -- most all hovering about $500.00 USD! Definitely not junk!
    (My two pennies on the subject )
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    As a Bonus I cast slugs for all these guns so Projectiles are cheap and custom sized for MY guns
    Out of curiosity, Are you powder coating your slugs or just shooting bare or lube lead slugs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    What calibers are you casting for? Do you know a good forum to us these days?

Boolit Grand Master
    OR,

I have spent some time on Gateway to Airguns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    What calibers are you casting for? Do you know a good forum to us these days?
    I'm only casting for .30 cal. I spend the majority of my time on the AirGun Nation forum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    OR,

I have spent some time on Gateway to Airguns.
    Thanks I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    I'm only casting for .30 cal. I spend the majority of my time on the AirGun Nation forum.
    Igolfat8, May I ask what gun you are shooting and what you might be using it for. If you do not wish to share here you can PM me. I am looking into hunting small game and pests. I have a heavily modified Disco in .22 but would like to update a bit. Shot count is not so good although it is a tac driver. I do not feel I want a .25 cal as pellets are pricey and I am looking to cast to keep shooting this air gun almost free in price. I will check out the website. Thanks

Sorry guys we have well I have taken us way off topic here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Outer Rondacker,

Do a lot of research before going down the pellet/slug casting rabbit hole. I did and it was not encouraging.

Barrels that shoot pellets well do not normally shoot slugs well. Here is an article of interest.

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/air...of-the-future/

Even with high quality commercial pellets/slugs, some barrels will "like" one design and shoot another into a group twice as large. You have no way to know if the mold you select will give you a projectile your gun "likes".

IMO anyone casting .177 or .22 caliber pellets is doing it for the love of making their own. They cannot make a "better" pellet and they will spend a lot of time at it. Maybe I got lucky, but both my guns like the cheap ($6.24/500) Crosman .22 14.3 gr pellets. (I averaged .77" at 50 yards for 45 five shot groups with the Daystate Hunstman Regal...a $1000 PCP.) I bought 28 tins Crosman's for $175 over the last few months on Amazon, and with the help of Ghosthawk during the sale. A 4 cavity pellet mold from NOE is over $150. It would take about 25-30 hours of "fun time" for me cast 14k pellets that would likely shoot as well as the worst pellets I can buy. And I would need $40 of lead. Seemed silly to me...but I have no love for casting or wasting time.

Casting might make sense for larger calibers in terms of economics. .30 cal pellets are $18/150. I have never seen enough groups reported to justify the adjective "accurate" using cast air gun projectiles. The reality is not many casters can produce a 2 MOA bullet without weigh sorting. I cannot do it, but I am a poor caster...or maybe I do not discount "fliers"...LOL.

Hunting with big bore air guns is a swimming pool that does not attract me. I am interested in what others are doing "in the deep end", but for me air guns are for cheap shooting fun. About the only killing I will do is squirrels and chipmunks that are pests. .22 PCP's are enough for that.
    Last edited by dverna; 02-04-2022 at 02:49 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Funny you say you got lucky on the Crossman .22 pellets. I feel the same way. I have tried more tins of pellets then I would like to admit and Crossman HP cheapies is the ticket. Kills just fine but I was hoping to upgrade. I have owned it for many moons. Honestly the FX bug is getting under my skin then I learn the rifles cost more then most of my real guns fully decked out. I dont mind buying pellets but the .30 stuff is pricey. Like you said. I am reading more and more. Once again no shops to learn from in my area. Closest one is four-five hours away. Thanks for the help.

If you go the FX route, they make barrels for both slugs and pellets. Seems to me, if spending that much on an air rifle, why not have
    both a slug and pellet barrel for it.
    Some really good hunting videos from South Africa and excellent information on shooting slugs if you do a Youtube search
    on a guy named Matt Dubber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast