Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fair price ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Fair price ?

What is a fair/reasonable price to pay to have a short chambered barrel, finish chambered? I have the reamer and gauges, so it is just a labor cost question.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Thread, fit, and chamber was running around $250 a few years ago.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Depends on where you are. ~ $150 around here.
    Bolt gun: I do it myself, and be careful doing it.
    Measure measure measure, and in reaming take the last little really slow, fitting and measuring often. You can get very close to min headspace, and I have a couple guns I did this way shoot Very well for me. Be especially cognizant about potential to side load the reamer when turning by hand, use a very good oil (I use tapping/reaming oil) and NEVER turn the reamer backward to remove from chamber. If you turn a reamer backward you will ruin the cutting surface. Be careful, some short chambers are also tight diametrically as well. Gently insert the reamer in a well lubed chamber and start turning by hand Before it tightens up.

It might be a case of what I call--- 'make your best deal'.
    I had one done back in the early 90's. I got the local gunsmith that sort of specialized
    in putting on those high dollar, match barrel blanks to do a perfect job on mine for $75.

He did it 'time available' where he'd fit it in when he was already set up for one, or wasn't busy.
    It took a couple of months to get it out instead of a few days or a week or two, but I was OK with that.

Now days, with the help of these guys here, and maybe some youtube videos--
    I'd get a brand new can of Brownell's 'do-drill' cutting oil and very, very carefully and slowly do it myself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    So, $40.00 would be reasonable?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    Depends if the smith in question already has the reamer and gauges or not, but you have that covered already. Probably $100-$150 range it it's already short-chambered for the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    If you can get it done for that-- you've got negotiating skills so good you could trade in for a new car,
    and get the dealership to owe you money.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I usually get $175 for that, plus any polishing work or other things that are desired.

Boolit Master
    Are you saying you've got someone willing to do it for that price and you're wondering if it is fair?

Or are you saying you are going to offer that price to a gunsmith?

Or ???

Boolit Grand Master

What is a fair/reasonable price to pay to have a short chambered barrel, finish chambered? I have the reamer and gauges, so it is just a labor cost question.
    Since everything is done except for removing the last .010" of the short chamber, chamber polishing, and screwing it on it should be about half of what they get for installing a blank.

$40.00 would be a steal.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer