Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 429421

Boolit Bub

Lyman 429421

I've a friend who wants to put together some heavy 44 Magnum loads using the Keith bullet. He wants the original version with a flat base and longer front band. He has no interest in the so called "Keith style" SWC's with a beveled base, etc.

Anyone with knowledge of a quality commercial source for these please chime in.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    This is as close as I've been able to find, and Matt does a great job.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...r9vjjui4ur7ji1

I believe that the Lyman 429244 is not really a "true Keith".
    It is fairly frequently called a "KT", and I believe this to be a Keith Thompson. I understand that this is a Thompson Modification of a Keith design.
    Not that it affects performance how it got into production, a lot of people seem to like this mold. I sold mine, just couldn't get the bullet to work to my liking, but in years since trying the design, I (Mostly) gave up on the RCBS sizer and switched to push through for improved cylindrical alignment. So, since I had periodic alignment issues w/ the base first sizer in the past, I can't really say that my dislike of the 429244 is the fault of the design like I used to believe.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite one is from GT bullets. As far as I can tell it is from a NOE mold. They only offer it as a hollow point. This is the bullet I shoot myself.

https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?...products_id=49

Boolit Buddy
    Here's true Keith H&G 503

https://statelinebullets.com/shop/ca...44-245-gr-swc/

Western Bullet catalogs the 429421 but is currently out of stock http://westernbullet.com/ly4gr3.html . They say to contact them. Communications can be spotty, but if you are real, real patient, they have a decent product.

Lyman #429421 and #429422 are not the same #429421 is a plain base bullet by Keith . #429422 is a GC bullet by Thompson It is heaver , about 15 gr. Keith did not like GC bullets. Read his books
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    Lyman #429421 and #429422 are not the same #429421 is a plain base bullet by Keith . #429422 is a GC bullet by Thompson It is heaver , about 15 gr. Keith did not like GC bullets. Read his books

Umm no. The 429-244 is the Thompson Gas Checked 250-Ish grain bullet mold, it is a gas checked version of a Sharpe-Style boolit. The 429-422 is a hollow-based 429-421, designed by Elmer back in the early 30's. (Perhaps earlier, but the oldest reference I saw dates to this time.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Sorry , I was wrong, working from memory. Something old folks shoud not do
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

You might try here. He uses Hensley and Gibbs molds. https://www.guntrustdepot.com/FFL-De...ealer?id=28545

Boolit Master

I've got the 429244 mold, and if he wants to really go "full bore" can't think of a better boolit. Gotta get some gas checks tho.

Boolit Master
    There is 1/2 dozen 429421 molds for sale on flea bay. What am I missing? As for a bevel base 44 boolit You can use a 41 mag gas check and swell It out to .430 in a sizer. We do this with a Freedom Arms 44 with a 1 in 20 twist.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-30-2022 at 11:04 PM.