Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring a 22 LR cylinder into a 22 WMR

Boring a 22 LR cylinder into a 22 WMR

If the cylinder length is sufficient, is such boring/reaming possible? I can't think of the reasons it should not be. Ideas?
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

The only thing that comes to mind is a possible issue with the wall strength of the cylinder from the .22Mag's higher pressure.

Revolvers that offer both cylinders probably have a frame that is a little more 'beefy' to handle the Mag pressures.
    One that was only ever intended to shoot LR---- maybe not so much.

It goes along with my thinking that if you want a .357Mag,,,,, buy one.
    Don't try to make your own out of a .38Spec.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-25-2022 at 04:27 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind is a possible issue with the wall strength of the cylinder from the .22Mag's higher pressure.

Revolvers that offer both cylinders probably have a frame that is a little more 'beefy' to handle the Mag pressures.
    One that was only ever intended to shoot LR---- maybe not so much.

It goes along with my thinking that if you want a .357Mag,,,,, buy one.
    Don't try to make your own out of a .38Spec.
    Good advice!

Boolit Master
    Aren't the bores on a 22 mag just a little larger diameter too ?

Boolit Master
    I had a model 48-4 in the 70's with factory cylinders for both. It was ordered locally. It shot both mag and lr ok. I never measured my barrel. I got broke and sold it. If you bore the cylinders it will not group lr any more. The head on a mag case is larger also. I had a Remington 510 clunker I bored to a mag but I had to bevel the front of the throat a little. My 48-4 had the complete extra cylinder with rod. Cylinder metal on a Smith is harder than a woodpeckers lips. I would farm it out.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-25-2022 at 08:03 PM.

I already have a gun that takes both cylinders, and the 22LR cylinder for it. The idea is to buy another 22LR cylinder for it, and to bore it because 22WMR cylinders for it are made of Unobtainium 264.

So if I bought a set of reamers from .2264 that the 22LR chambers currently are and up to .2440 that WMR should be, in what increment should I buy them, to be able to ream chambers concentric with the throats? Or am I oversimplifying the process? Do I have to drill the chamber in the same diameter, to WMR length first? Until now, I only ever used a chambering reamer, so I've no idea. I'd like to avoid buying a reamer or going through the hassle of renting one, but I can do with a bunch new chucking reamers as I need them all the time.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-25-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master
    I’m pretty sure the chamber pressure for .22lr and .22wmr are the same. IIRC, it’s 24,000 for both.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what Ruger does regarding bore for their convertibles but the mag is bigger in bullet diameter . I would think they design for 22LR and the mag bullet is compromised. It won't work going the other way. I wouldn't rework an existing cylinder but I would get a spare preferably in the mag caliber already.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I don't know what Ruger does regarding bore for their convertibles but the mag is bigger in bullet diameter . I would think they design for 22LR and the mag bullet is compromised. It won't work going the other way. I wouldn't rework an existing cylinder but I would get a spare preferably in the mag caliber already.

22LR bores are .222". 22 Win mag bores are 224". When Ruger started doing the convertibles they used 224" on them but they left the non-convertibles at .222". Not sure if that is still true today but you do lose some accuracy with 22LR in a .224 bore.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

This is not really the right thread for comparisons or and merits of each caliber.

Boolit Master
    What M-tech said. If you've owned a convertible you know that it shoots either LR or Mag well. Not both.
    Boring out a cylinder shouldn't hurt much other than the accuracy of the revolver.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    What M-tech said. If you've owned a convertible you know that it shoots either LR or Mag well. Not both.
    Boring out a cylinder shouldn't hurt much other than the accuracy of the revolver.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I can’t agree with that statement. I had a convertible and it shot both very, very well. I shot a 77x80 with the .22lr at the 1990 IHMSA Internationals with that gun and it would shoot .22wmr around 1” groups at 50 yds. The bore diameters on those guns are not different contrary to all you hear saying they are.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    The bore diameters on those guns are not different contrary to all you hear saying they are.
    https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2018-06-13.pdf

Page 14 & 15 for 22lR match and standard bore/groove sizes. Page 18 for 22 Win Mag bore/groove size.

Claim is currently Ruger is using .224" on all their single six's convertible's and non-convertible's. A buddy has a 1961 windage adjust only rear sight single six that shoots very well. I personally measure it and it is 222". I have been trying to talk him out of it for 20 plus years.

Dad had a very early super single six 22 LR only that shot very well. He purchased in new 1965. When I was about 14 he traded it for a convertible. That was a mistake. It shot 22 mag shot very well. Not so much with the 22 LR. Since than I have owned and sold 3 additional single six's. I guess I just was unlucky with the three of them since they all were just mediocre accurate with the 22 LR. I currently own zero single six's.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-26-2022 at 04:19 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to look at the SAAMI specs here:

https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/

which show .22 LR bore as 0.217" and groove as 0.222" and .22 Mag. bore as 0.219" and groove as 0.224".

.22 Mag. also operates at slightly higher pressure though maybe not enough to be an issue.

Having said that I have a 1980's vintage Ruger Single Six that is very accurate with .22 LR and .22 Mag. both. Not sure which bore and groove diameters it has but it works!

Longbow

Boolit Master

I have a Colt Peacemaker .22 with both cylinders. It groups from both cylinders into an 1 1/2" at 25yds.
    My NM Super Single Six will do even better than that from a rest.

However I have My Dad's OM Single Six in .22Mag only. it shoots better then I can hold. I had a .22LR cylinder fitted to it.
    The .22LR shoots like a shotgun with a cyl. bore choke. A 25yd group I can barely cover with my hand. I have BIG hands.

There are plenty of choices in .22mag, why rebore a cylinder ? Why not just buy another revolver ? Easier and safer. Unless you just want to do it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Aren't the bores on a 22 mag just a little larger diameter too ?
    I have a twin cylinder ruger sinlge six - yes the bore is bigger to accomodate the magnum bullet . Due to ammo cost I rarely shoot magnums in it. Its never been particularly accurate with 22LR - not orrible but nothing to write home about, I have two cap and ball revolvers I can shoot a better target with most anytime I try. I have seriously thought about rebarreling it with correct 22 tube and losing the magnum cylinder.

Yes, I totally understand that everyone has their own opinions on the merits of 22LR and 22WMR and on the differences about them but this thread has been created solely for the purpose of seeking advise on the process of boring out the chambers. I have to ask moderators to step in and delete the offtopic posts. This is a gunsmithing subforum. Your posts belong in Rimfire, so pleas open your own threads and discuss that there.

Vendor Sponsor

There is also the Osammy EO of 2016 making conversions like this from simple gunsmithing into manufacturing. They impose a $2,200.00 annual "fee" for any shop or smith that does work such as accurizing, caliber conversions, extended magazines, it's a stupid list that if you are in violation of they can fine you and can do it retroactively.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    There is also the Osammy EO of 2016
    What are you talking about?

Boolit Master
    "22LR bores are .222". 22 Win mag bores are 224". When Ruger started doing the convertibles they used 224" on them but they left the non-convertibles at .222". Not sure if that is still true today but you do lose some accuracy with 22LR in a .224 bore."

This statement is kinda true.

A little more history.
    Ruger Single-Six collectors acknowledge that when Ruger started building the Single-Six,, it had a bore diameter of .222. When the .22 mags were introduced,, they had a bore diameter of .224. These guns were marked ".22 Magnum" on the frame.
    Then they offered the .22 mags with a spare .22 LR cylinder,, to be used in guns with the .224 bore. Finally, they dropped the .22 mag only guns,, changed all the barrel bores to .224. Practice continues to this day.
    Generally,, the collectors use the serial numbers of the Single-Six models as follows;
    1-150000 is a .222 bore,, while any built with serial number 150001 & up is a .224 diameter.

But back to the OP's question.
    Many gunsmiths have bored out .22 LR cylinders to accept the .22 Mag ammo. It depends upon the gun as to how much pressure it can accept. In general,, most quality names are fine with it.
    If you are unsure as to the bore diameter,, slug the bore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast