Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: 8x57 subsonic advice please?

Boolit Man

Question 8x57 subsonic advice please?

The price of .22 Rf has motivated me to wean the grandsons on off of their .22's and start them on centerfire with cast. I want to go with an 8x57 1904 Steyr Mannlicher as being accurate and goof proof, easy for kids. My hope is to find a subsonic load with the 180 gr mold I have. Thinking 5 or 6 gr of Bullseye or Red Dot should get me down around 1100 fps. My question concerns tales of shortening case shoulders/headspace problems as the brass is reused. They say on here, drill out the primer flash holes to prevent that. OK. What's a good drill diameter? Do I wait for the problem to develop or should I drill them from the git go?

Boolit Grand Master

Cast the 180 bullets soft, leave "as cast", lube lightly with LLA and GC (if a GC mould) for best accuracy. I shot at short range velocity down around 800 - 1000 fps should prove useful. Both Bullseye and Red Dot will do nicely.

I use a 160 gr FB cast bullet over 6.5 gr Bullseye for 1140 fps for excellent accuracy, minimal recoil and minimal cost. Over 5 gr it is very, very pleasant plinking and small game load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I shoot all my rifles exclusively "Low Node" subsonic! In the 8mm Mauser I have a 4 grain Red Dot load using Large pistol primers and the 180 Gr NOE Ranch Dog bullet. Very accurate at 50 yards.....Bullet seated long into the lands
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I shoot 8 grains of unique in my 8 mm rifles including a French Berthier.

Boolit Master

Drill the flashholes after the brass is fully formed to your chamber but before the headspace problems arise. I'm surprised Larry didn't answer your question about drill size in his post above. I would be happy to answer it but my rememberer is malfunctioning at the moment.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    #28 drill (0.1405”) IIRC

But you could just load 10 grs of Unique or 13 grs of Red Dot for a decent load, neither of which will have any kick to it. No drilling and no headspace problems. The velocity would be in the 12-1500 range depending on bullet weight.

Just for illustration purposes. With Leupold 2-7x33 scope.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D24103C-3A96-49A4-814E-D7C33952AB0C.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	295897
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 02-06-2022 at 05:56 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Pretty good shooting there for an Old Blind Dog!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

With such loads, when used in a CRF action, the extractor will only allow the case headspace to set back only as much as the extractor and absence of an ejector in the bolt face allows. Thus, with the CRF action the only benefit is more consistent ignition and a bit less powder position sensitivity. I did miss the drill size question though, my bad. The #28 is the correct maximum drill size. A #30, which is a bit smaller in diameter, seems to be preferred by some who want a bit of 'fudge factor".

If one thinks doing so increases the pressure in the case ot primer then a search will revel the extensive test doen with full power jacketed bullet .308W loads.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    #28 drill (0.1405”) IIRC

But you could just load 10 grs of Unique or 13 grs of Red Dot for a decent load, neither of which will have any kick to it. No drilling and no headspace problems. The velocity would be in the 12-1500 range depending on bullet weight.

Just for illustration purposes. With Leupold 2-7x33 scope.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D24103C-3A96-49A4-814E-D7C33952AB0C.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	295897
    Did you GC them or shoot them without?
    How did you lube them or were they PC'd?

That's an outstanding group and job well done.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Did you GC them or shoot them without?
    How did you lube them or were they PC'd?

That's an outstanding group and job well done.
    These are lubed with carnauba red 2700+ and gas checked. It’s not that hard to make a good group at 50 yards if one concentrates on breathing and trigger control, but thanks. The bullet base was seated flush with the bottom of the neck in Remington cases with Rem 9 1/2 primers. The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS with the barrel cut to 20”. I have not shot this load at 100 yards. I should have. On my list to do.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    With such loads, when used in a CRF action, the extractor will only allow the case headspace to set back only as much as the extractor and absence of an ejector in the bolt face allows. Thus, with the CRF action the only benefit is more consistent ignition and a bit less powder position sensitivity. I did miss the drill size question though, my bad. The #28 is the correct maximum drill size. A #30, which is a bit smaller in diameter, seems to be preferred by some who want a bit of 'fudge factor".

If one thinks doing so increases the pressure in the case ot primer then a search will revel the extensive test doen with full power jacketed bullet .308W loads.
    Thanks for that info Larry. You are so helpful to all of us. Really appreciate it.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Excellent!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the lee 8mm karabiner molds, throws 240 grains from my alloy, if you're interested in buying it, let me know.
    All I shoot nowadays is the 185 grain NOE boolit.

Boolit Master
    This thread is of great importance to me. I understand the need for very mild loads when teaching youthful shooters, and will try some of the ones listed, soon.
    I don't want to be guilty of "jacking the thread", but I would also be interested in data or favorite loads for ~200 gr. cast, launched at 1500 - 1800 f/s. I have (some) 2400, IMR 4227, Reloader 7, and IMR 4198.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    This thread is of great importance to me. I understand the need for very mild loads when teaching youthful shooters, and will try some of the ones listed, soon.
    I don't want to be guilty of "jacking the thread", but I would also be interested in data or favorite loads for ~200 gr. cast, launched at 1500 - 1800 f/s. I have (some) 2400, IMR 4227, Reloader 7, and IMR 4198.
    You had better specify rifle/caliber. This thread started with the Steyr, went to 8x57, and then I think to 8mm Mag cases. All very different case capacity.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!