Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: layman casting manual which edition

Boolit Master

layman casting manual which edition

Is Lyman's Bullet Casting Handbook 4th edition superior to or better than the 3rd? I ask because I have both the 46th and 49th editions of the Lyman Reloading Handbooks and find the general basic reloading information more informative in the 46th edition. Oh sure the 49th has more current load data, but I like the more down to earth history and basic reloading information. If I had a newbie interested in getting into reloading, I'd loan him my 46th edition.

Is the same true with the Lyman Casting Handbooks? If you had to choose, which one would you buy, 3rd or 4th?
    Last edited by oley55; 01-24-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

The 4th, hands down.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

The advantage of #4 over #3 is that #4 lists Lee, RCBS & Saeco molds too.
    There are also conversion charts for Lyman Top Punches for non Lyman bullets.
    And maybe a few newer powders.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I do like both, but find the pressure data in #4 for non Lyman castings (when existent, not on every bullet) quite helpful.
    I tend to find each new manual somewhat hard to pass up though...

Boolit Master

thanks guys, the 4th it is.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I like the old and new castbullet handbooks. 4th has Lee bullets but older manual has more pistol powders in rifle bullets.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I have both and there is a difference, especially in the "front half". I prefer the third edition as it seems more "every day caster" friendly and the fourth is more aimed toward black powder cartridge casting and shooting. If I were to recommend a Lyman manual tom a newer caster it would be the 3rd, but for plain load data there isn't much difference.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have both and there is a difference, especially in the "front half". I prefer the third edition as it seems more "every day caster" friendly and the fourth is more aimed toward black powder cartridge casting and shooting. If I were to recommend a Lyman manual tom a newer caster it would be the 3rd, but for plain load data there isn't much difference.
    Plus 1....

I prefer the 3rd edition for the upfront information on casting. I consider it to be the must read to learn for all new, and even seasoned, cast bullet shooters.

The 4th edition probably has the more complete data for newer cartridges. Also for other mould makers bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

As I thought was possibly the case. The front side of my 46th Reloading edition draws me back for a thorough reread at least once a year and it sounds as if the 3rd Casting edition will do the same. No surprise I guess since they were each printed in 1980 (Casting) and 1982 (Reloading) with C. Kenneth Ramage being the editor for both.

I already ordered the 4th edition so I'll just have to keep an eye out for an exceptional deal on the 3rd.

Boolit Grand Master
    Truth to tell, I would consider myself abused if I were restricted to just one of them. Until fairly recently, I recommended the 3rd, but with the discontinuance of so many powders since its publication, it no longer makes the cut. In some cases, over half the powders listed are no longer in production. AL-8? HS-7? Sorry but these have been gone for quite a while.

To put it clearly, the third edition is far, FAR superior to the 4th on general casting information as well as having much useful information not in the 4th. But the 4th has more current load data for powders still in production.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

#4 is updated , some different moulds , different powders and calibers . #3 has the old reliable stuff and a lot of casting information that is not in #4 that is very valuable .
    #3 has updated loads but leave out a lot of general casting knowledge about what works , what alloy to use , hardness and sizing .

#3 was published in 1980 ... #4 was published in 2010 ... That's 30 years !
    A lot of things have changed in the last 30 years ... If you have #3 , you want to have #4 also .
    There is usable info in both and I use both and cross check with them ... I was so glad to see Lyman #4 come out ... after 30 years there were a lot of new and different things going on .
    So...my advice is to get both #3 and #4 !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-26-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Simple choice would be to buy the older one first and get an idea of how it works . Then , get a few of the newer editions , in this case more info is your friend .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are a serious cast bullet shooter, it makes sense to have both.

If you are like me, I do not "need" new load data. I use the same loads I have for years...sometimes decades. And I stock jugs of powder that work, so do not need to hunt for a new load when supply is disrupted. Folks scrambling for powders need all the data they can get so evaluate options.

I also have a "good enough" mindset when it comes to cast bullets in pistol calibers. If I was shooting cast in rifles, having more data would be valuable.

More knowledge is always good. I intend to get the fourth edition even if I do not need it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have all four editions and the 3rd is my "bible". I think it all depends on what you are reloading. As an example, the 3rd edition has data for 32 S & W (short) - they dropped it in the 4th edition. The 4th edition has date for 45 Schofield - none in the 3rd edition. That's why I like having all 4 editions - but if I was limiting myself - I would have both the 3rd edition and the 4th edition because they both contain different things. If you are going with the 4th edition - the 3rd is available on-line. I don]t have the link handy - but someone here should be able to post it.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep all my manuals and "update" when I see a new edition. I have my first manual a Speer #10 (?), Two Lyman Reloading Handbook and two Cast Bullet Handbook, several Hodgdon Annual manuals, and a few single editions. The only downside of multiple manuals is having a book shelf large enough to keep them in one place...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    The 2nd Edition of Lyman's casting manual is very useful. Believe I got a reprint copy at a gun show. All three that I have are very useful. You can't have too many guns or manuals.

Boolit Master

unfortunately a 16th birthday celebration for my live-in grandson (raised by me like a son), I was distracted last night and missed a chance for grabbing an ebay sale for a 3rd edition at a very reasonable price. Regardless, a 3rd edition is high on my radio detection and ranging device, (RADAR).

Boolit Grand Master
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.