RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 45acp brass question

Boolit Master

Federal 45acp brass question

After acquiring a WW2 Ithaca 1911 from my SIL from my BIL's (deceased) collection, and shooting it a few times, I decided that I wanted to get a modern one and delve into the world of 45 acp. Last month I purchased a Kimber Custom LW that was VERY slightly used from my LGS, told the guy that I would pay the $650 OTT price if he would throw in a bag or the range brass that was on the shelf. He said sure and off I went. I have encountered a situation that all y'all 45 ACP experts may already know, but it seems odd to me. I can't fit a large pistol primer into the Federal brass, it seems to need small pistol? When I examined the primer pockets, they were visually smaller than the other brands of brass. Why did they do this, or am I mentally impaired? (don't address the second part of that question

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Some of those Federal brass 45 ACP casings take small primers, some don’t. As to why??? I personally don’t have a clue!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

You are no more insane than normal. That is indeed small pistol primer 45 ACP. Supposed to cure things that ail the original.

It loads and shoots just as normal for me, but I segregate and save it for the zombie apocalypse. Too much trouble to sort every time.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    There's prolly a reason he was so agreeable to give them to you. Not the most desirable, but not because they aren't functionable (sp). Most people just think they are a PITA if you have them mixed with all your large primer brass, sorting them out is a chore, and missing one usually crushes a large primer if you are priming on a press, hand primer not so much. If that is all you have now, just put SPP in them and rock.

I bought some spp .45 on purpose to stretch out my supply of lp primers so set your spp .45 brass off to the side as they may be valuable to you some day when lp primers are hard to come by …….

Boolit Master

As to why they are Small Pistol size, they are from "non-toxic" (sometimes actually stamped NT) ammo that uses lead-free primers. Regular Small Pistol primers work fine in them, just keep them segregated from your LP brass.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

We keep the SPP for competition use when your not allowed to pickup brass. Honestly wish they were all SPP life would be easier.

Boolit Master
    I used to prefer the small primer 45 brass because I had a lot more spp than lpp and it was a tad quicker/easier changeout on the progressive to 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    We keep the SPP for competition use when your not allowed to pickup brass. Honestly wish they were all SPP life would be easier.
    I feel the same. It will be quite a while yet, but when this craziness settles down, I plan to go completely to SPP brass. I'd much rather stock a huge supply of one kind of primer.

Boolit Grand Master

I gave away all of my LPP brass and ONLY shoot SPP brass now.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Geez...so refreshing! I also prefer SPP 45 brass, for many of the same reasons mentioned above. It's the only pistol caliber I load that 'could' use LPP, so LPPs are not something I acquire nor keep on purpose. Now....do I have LPPs? Well...maybe, but not on purpose!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have been told by some very good target shooters, that the SPP cases give more consistent results than the LPP cases do. SOmething about the large primers having enough power to move the boolits before the powder fully ignites.

I am not a good enough shot to verify this. I expect you could test for consistency with a chronograph. Lower extreme spreads and SD.

Federal, Winchester, Speer, Blazer, CCI - I think they all make .45 with small primers. I sure find a lot of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have been told by some very good target shooters, that the SPP cases give more consistent results than the LPP cases do. SOmething about the large primers having enough power to move the boolits before the powder fully ignites.

I am not a good enough shot to verify this. I expect you could test for consistency with a chronograph. Lower extreme spreads and SD.
    I have found this to be true, I have some loads with SPP that had an extreme spread 7 for 6 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have found this to be true, I have some loads with SPP that had an extreme spread 7 for 6 rounds.
    That is some seriously impressive work. Would you mind giving some specifics of that load?

Not too far off topic but I’ve traded 3 bricks of cci spp [all that I had] for cci lpp as I use them in my cas rifles and revolver ammo. I still have 6 bricks of srp that work in rifle or handgun brass.

Boolit Master
    I used to toss my SPP 45 acp cases. Since things got difficult in the gun world I started keeping the SPP cases. Never know what we will be able to find in the future. You are not nuts. One thing is for sure, SPP and LPP in a progressive are a problem. Make sure you separate.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Most of our .45acp shooters in our USPSA club have gone to all SPP brass. Some designate loads for certain guns/uses by primer size. Everyone seems to prefer the SPP's here for some of the above reasons. Less diviation and one common primer size for the rest of most pistol calibers.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Started saving Fed SPP 45 brass a couple years back. I have several thousand deprimed, cleaned & sized. Planned on switching to them eventually. I’d as soon reload Fed SPP 45 brass than S & B LPP brass.

Boolit Master

This bag probably had 10 spp cases in it out of 200. I was surprised, I thought something like primer size would be an industry standard or something for some reason? Anyway, they're not hard to spot w/o hand sorting. I use a single stage turret press so they're easily detected. I always have LPP on hand because I load 45 Colt, 44 mag. I also load .357,38 special, so I have SPP too but not nearly as many. I think I'll do as plate plinker said, keep the spp brass for when I may be shooting and can't collect empties.Federal is the only brand that has SPP in this bag. I guess if I encounter more and more SPP brass down the road, I'll have a decision to make. As an aside, boy can you run a lot of ammo out of these auto's in a hurry! I'm used to revolvers mostly. 50 round box is gone in 10 min!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast