• SpeedGreen

4 22.22%
  • Blue Angel

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Lube for .45acp

Boolit Master

Next Lube for .45acp

I'm currently casting 2 bullets for my .45acp the 452460 SWC and the 452374 RN. Just based on the way things worked out the Lyman 450 sizer with a reservoir of Javelina in it ended up being the one being used. I am coming towards the end of the stick of Javelina.

**Please read all the way thru, I am trying to limit the choices to what i have ON HAND. I am well aware of the virtues and recommendation's of the world of lubes for future purchases/homemade***

When this reservoir runs down i have the choice of three lubes to work with; Lyman Ideal lube (not the moly), Speed Green and Blue Angel

I am leaning towards the Lyman Ideal, but don't know if the harder Speed Green or Angel Blue may be a better choice for the .45acp. I have the heater, so that's no issue for the selected lube.

Ill try it as a poll to see what happens.

Banned
    I like the Lyman Ideal.

Boolit Master
    I run LsStuff's 2500+ https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index....products_id=25 on everything from 750 fps 45 ACP (453460 like you) to Arsenal Molds 314100 SWC in 32 Mag to an NOE copy of the 311299 at 1700 FPS It's as good as FWFL which I ran until I got tired of making it.

Boolit Master
    Ben's Tumble lube is all I use
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I run LsStuff's 2500+ https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index....products_id=25 on everything from 750 fps 45 ACP (453460 like you) to Arsenal Molds 314100 SWC in 32 Mag to an NOE copy of the 311299 at 1700 FPS It's as good as FWFL which I ran until I got tired of making it.
    100% I use LsStuffs lube exclusively and it just plain works!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

As slow .45s go, and as short of a travel they have in the barrel-- any of them would be fine.

If you save one or two of the three for some specific applications,
    I'd take it off the list and use the one that's more 'general purpose'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    "~ Lubes ~ - The Bull Shop
    The Speed Green is a soft lube that will not need heat to run through a lube sizer. It is good for all smokeless powder applications for rifle and hand gun. It works good down to the minus temps."

Since you can make Speed Green to whatever firmness you choose, I do not understand the need for a heater. Perhaps this is a lube you purchased and have no recipe for it. It is in the archives and you can adjust for your needs.

Moderator Emeritus

45acp doesn't demand much from Lube. They will all work just fine. If you are trying to burn up supplies, I'd use up the Ideal first. It has it's limitations for some other applications, more so than the other two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I'm with others here. Just about anything will work in a 45acp. I use FWFL for all my boolits except for the ones I PC.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sure is funny how some people cannot follow instructions or do not read before posting.

"**Please read all the way thru, I am trying to limit the choices to what i have ON HAND. I am well aware of the virtues and recommendation's of the world of lubes for future purchases/homemade***"

Three choices...pick one. The OP does not care what works for you.

To the OP, you might want to edit so the part I quoted above is in RED and BOLD

Anyway, I am with Jon B. Use up what you have that is the least versatile for your other needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I voted Blue Angel. I have never used it myself but I have used Red Angel in my 9mm .358 boolits and it works great. The blue is not as hard and is probably a good match for .45 acp velocities.

Boolit Master

Ideal Black,
    Speed Green,
    Angel Blue.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

I, too, like the Lyman Ideal. Other than those lub'd in my Stars -- with their Blue stuff -- I use the Lyman in pretty much all handgun bullets; the Lyman Orange Magic in rifle bullets.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just about anything will work in a 45acp.
    That's what I've learned from when I only cast .45s & .38s..
    In leaner times, I went for several years on a batch I made from old candles, broken crayons, and high temp disc brake grease.

Yeah... There's a whole lot of things that smell better, but it worked just fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

For the lower pressure , lower velocity of 45 acp I have always liked a soft Lube better than a hard lube . I've used the Lyman Ideal many times over the years and in 45 acp ... in fact it works well in just about all handgun loads ... applied in my Lyman 450 also .
    I vote for the Lyman Ideal .
    Now in all honesty ... I've never tried Speed Green or Blue Angel ... I'm assuming they are harder and I like soft lube . I have used Lyman Ideal in everything from 32 auto to 45 Colt and it works .

My favorite is still Lithi-Bee , 1 part Lithium Grease to 3 parts Beeswax, I don't know if anyone still makes it but it's The Winner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Sure is funny how some people cannot follow instructions or do not read before posting.

"**Please read all the way thru, I am trying to limit the choices to what i have ON HAND. I am well aware of the virtues and recommendation's of the world of lubes for future purchases/homemade***"

Three choices...pick one. The OP does not care what works for you.

To the OP, you might want to edit so the part I quoted above is in RED and BOLD

Anyway, I am with Jon B. Use up what you have that is the least versatile for your other needs.
    I, at least, felt it was worthwhile to NOT follow instructions in order to quietly make the point that in 45 acp the choice of lube doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I guess it doesn't matter what I use but if I were only lubing 45acp and had those three choices, I would melt them all together and use what ever that ended up being. I didn't vote on this because I have never used any of the three choices and I really believe it won't make any difference performance wise. The OP may have a reason to pick one or the other and if so, that's what he should use.

I have used Blue Angel exclusively and only because that’s what my mentor used. When I got serious about casting I bought 100 sticks of Blue Angel from Mr Thompson. Got my Star lube sizer and heater and I was a happy camper. Then I joined this forum and I realized there was so many other lubes you could buy or make yourself. Then powder coating came along and that changed everything. I am so thankful for the knowledge that is shared and the wonderful members here.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    Do what rbuck351 said, melt all 3 brands and mix them together.
    The low pressure 45Automatic cartridge make little demand on lube.
    When that’s used up, buy what ever brand lube that is readily available at your LGS.

Boolit Master

Speed Green gets my vote,from what you have on hand
    Simper-Fi
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast