Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying a new truck

Moderator Emeritus

I talked to the local dealer, why don't you get a 2022 Maverick pickup on the lot for me to check out. He said "we had 6 come in, they sold the day they came off the transport truck". Today I see an article that Ford is no longer accepting orders for them, plant that produces them is at full capacity and they can't make them any faster... dealer orders will trickle in over the next 6 months but it will be late this year before 2023 models will be able to be ordered.

I wanted to look at one/maybe buy because I can get $5k more than I paid for my 2017 Escape I bought used 1 1/2 years ago... basically the trade in will cover all but around $10k of the new pickup cost. The Maverick is built on a known platform, the Escape! I just prefer a box to an enclosed cargo compartment... So the dealer will contact me when and off they get one of the 6 they have on order... I was looking at the top level trim because that is what my Escape has and heated seats/steering wheel are a must! As is the backup camera and a good stereo system! I like my music when I am driving! It is Ford's new mini truck, perfect for my very occasional need to haul something like wood pellets for the pellet stove I heat with. Or brush to the city burn site.

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere online that used vehicle prices are up an average of 37% from 2020, and I believe it. When I was shopping for Toyotas earlier (and walked out of the showroom), I stopped by the Ram dealer next door. They had plenty of trucks on the lot, but they must have only had one salesman at work that day. I waited for 20-30 minutes for someone to assist me, and then walked out of there, too.

The salesman at the local Toyota dealer told me that they didn't have any 4X4 Tundras in stock, but he had a 4X2 Tundra. I should have turned around and left then, but I decided to look at it. Then, the lies began. 'That 4X2 will go anywhere that a 4X4 will. It has off-road tires on it.' 'If you live in Houston, you don't need a 4X4.' 'Everybody that I sold a 4X4 pickup to last year came by a few months later, and told me they wish that they had bought a 4X2.' Finally, I replied 'Okay, hero. If 4X2 pickups are so vastly superior to 4X4s, why does anyone even make 4X4 pickups?' Crickets.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Local dealer for Didge and Jeep has what I consider a pretty full lot. Probably 30 or more Jeeps, and 20 to 30 Rams. Way less than normal, I've seen a couple of hundred truck in his lot, but still some availability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Every truck load of new cars we get in I’d wager that 75% are spoken for before they hit the pavement. The ones that aren’t pre sold don’t last long unless it’s an oddball color or trim package. There are no deals to be had but the used car market is far worse. We have used cars on the lot selling for $5-10k over what a brand new equivalent costs. I saw one a few months ago that was 3 years old with 40k HARD miles and required fairly extensive bodywork that sold for $5k over new. People are paying a premium for instant gratification.

There are a couple industrial lots near me that are packed to the gills with brand new GM trucks all waiting for chips. We have a plant nearby and I guess they are renting lot space so they can keep the lines working. The whole industry is a mess.

Boolit Master

Stopped by the Toyota dealer today to show them the tiny rust spots on the rear hatch. They said it was a known issue and caused by the hatch not getting properly cleaned before painted and that they will take care of it.

Only Toyota dealer for 50 miles and they had one new 4Runner on the lot and not a single new Tundra.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I talked to the local dealer, why don't you get a 2022 Maverick pickup on the lot for me to check out. He said "we had 6 come in, they sold the day they came off the transport truck". Today I see an article that Ford is no longer accepting orders for them, plant that produces them is at full capacity and they can't make them any faster... dealer orders will trickle in over the next 6 months but it will be late this year before 2023 models will be able to be ordered.

I wanted to look at one/maybe buy because I can get $5k more than I paid for my 2017 Escape I bought used 1 1/2 years ago... basically the trade in will cover all but around $10k of the new pickup cost. The Maverick is built on a known platform, the Escape! I just prefer a box to an enclosed cargo compartment... So the dealer will contact me when and off they get one of the 6 they have on order... I was looking at the top level trim because that is what my Escape has and heated seats/steering wheel are a must! As is the backup camera and a good stereo system! I like my music when I am driving! It is Ford's new mini truck, perfect for my very occasional need to haul something like wood pellets for the pellet stove I heat with. Or brush to the city burn site.
    The Hyundai Santa Cruz is better looking and better built...

Attachment 295248
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Bought a used 2016 Toyota Avalon in the fall of 2018, touring trim. Sold for near 40K new and we paid 23.5. Had 18k miles on it. Gets about 27 mpg and has good power with the V6 motor. Timing was good on that purchase.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Banned

i usually buy a new one every 3 years. Ive got a 2020 now. Ram sent me some flyer saying they needed used trucks badly and would pay top dollar for one. So i went there. and they offered me 35 (which was book) and wouldnt discount a new one a penny and it was take whats on the lot or nothing. I went home and started looking on line and that same dealership had another dealership in a town 80 miles away. I got looking on there web sit and they had a truck IDENTICAL to mine. Same package right down to even the wheels. Only difernce is mine is burgandy and theres was grey. They were asking 45k for it. 10k more then they offered me. Now i can sure see why they want used trucks. They could take mine find some sucker to spend 10k over book for it and turn around and sell me a truck at sticker and proably make darn near that off the new one too. I called them up and told the salesman about this and he didnt have a rebuttle. I told him he could pound sand. My truck only has 30k on it and its like new and im sure not ashamed to be seen in it. Bottom line is car dealers think THEY HAVE THE CONTROLS. There crying all the way to the bank. What i worry about is they get smart over this and quit stocking a 100 trucks on a lot. Make it tough to find one and they dont have to discount them anymore. I was even told that the chev dealer here has a hidden lot and has a bunch of trucks but is only putting 2o on the lot at a time. When one sells they bring out another one.

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd, I imagine the “hidden lot” is full of trucks waiting on chips similar to the ones around here. Especially since you’re up in Michigan. It seems to be GMs standard procedure right now.

Boolit Master

LLoyd they make 10K on the used truck and who knows how much on the financing of the new truck. The truth is they don.t need to make much on the sale if the buyer finances the vehicle with the dealer.

The first new vehicle Mrs. Thumbcocker and I ever owned was a 1990 Nissan hardbody truck. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, am fm, with ac. Got 28 mpg and would haul 1000 pounds easily. Then all the manufacturers started making small trucks big and big trucks huge. Over the years I asked dealers about the smaller basic trucks that all the makers used to offer. The reply was usually something like "I could sell all those they would send me if they were available ". Not everyone needs a huge truck and many people would be ok with fewer bells and whistles for a utility vehicle. If you watch YouTube videos from other countries you will see lots of 4 door small trucks with a small bed, usually diesel powered, all over the place. I think, barring some defect, that Ford will sell a boatload of no frills small trucks.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i usually buy a new one every 3 years. Ive got a 2020 now. Ram sent me some flyer saying they needed used trucks badly and would pay top dollar for one. So i went there. and they offered me 35 (which was book) and wouldnt discount a new one a penny and it was take whats on the lot or nothing. I went home and started looking on line and that same dealership had another dealership in a town 80 miles away. I got looking on there web sit and they had a truck IDENTICAL to mine. Same package right down to even the wheels. Only difernce is mine is burgandy and theres was grey. They were asking 45k for it. 10k more then they offered me. Now i can sure see why they want used trucks. They could take mine find some sucker to spend 10k over book for it and turn around and sell me a truck at sticker and proably make darn near that off the new one too. I called them up and told the salesman about this and he didnt have a rebuttle. I told him he could pound sand. My truck only has 30k on it and its like new and im sure not ashamed to be seen in it. Bottom line is car dealers think THEY HAVE THE CONTROLS. There crying all the way to the bank. What i worry about is they get smart over this and quit stocking a 100 trucks on a lot. Make it tough to find one and they dont have to discount them anymore. I was even told that the chev dealer here has a hidden lot and has a bunch of trucks but is only putting 2o on the lot at a time. When one sells they bring out another one.
    When things are normal, dealers are forced to take inventory. Companies making vehicles do not want to store them in huge lots. They want the cash flow. If fact dealers are forced to take inventory they do not want. If a GM dealer wants a couple of Corvettes or Cameros on the lot, he will be forced to take some slow moving models as well.

Once this chip crisis is addressed, there will be a lot of 2021 models entering the market. They will want to shed them ASAP. There may be some deals in the near future. The deals on pickups and SUV's may not be as aggressive but if someone needs transportation, something like a Malibu or Impala etc could be attractive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I don't use my Tundra for anything but as a second vehicle. I bought it in 2013 just before the 2014's came out. The only thing on it that might be considered high tech is blue tooth for the cell phone. Everything else works by knobs or push buttons. No touch screen. I've only got ≈44k miles on it so it's hardly broken in. I quit changing my own oil when I turned 75. Now it take it to the dealer once a year regardless of miles. I posted in another thread that I would like to get one of those Ford electric trucks, but after considering all the comments, I think I'll keep this truck until I have no need(want?) for a truck.

The 2017 Avalon just turned 5 years old. I financed the car at 1.9% because it was cheaper than taking the $$ from IRA and paying taxes. Just got my title from Toyota Financial in the mail yesterday. Just like getting a raise for the next 5 or 6 years. Of course, if they take away my driving license, I'll just keep it until it is sold by the heirs.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    First secret to buying a vehicle..... never be so invested that you won't walk out if the sales team won't cooperate!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    First secret to buying a vehicle..... never be so invested that you won't walk out if the sales team won't cooperate!
    Normally that is true. With the current shortages the dealers have a take it or leave it attitude. If you don't buy it the next person will. People are paying over list just to get them. Hard to make deals under those circumstances.

Let's go Brandon.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Needed a second truck for the company fleet about a year ago. We typically buy lightly used as we beat them up and rack up the miles pretty quick. Started looking in the northeast and everything was rusted out, crazy high miles, and 10k more than what we paid in 2019. Looked at new but not much to choose from and anything in 4x4 was set up for a plow (don’t want or need) and 3-5k over sticker plus the cost of the plow. Ended up flying to Tennessee and driving a truck back. 8k less than a comparable truck in NY, no rust, needed $1500 in work when I got home but I budgeted for that. This year I’m bringing 2 back. One to drive and one to sell.

About a year ago I bought a new Chevy Sliverado. Lowest model that was offered. Has a V6, crank windows, AND AN EIGHT FOOT BED. Bench seat (vinyl) rubber floor mats. Got it mighty, mighty cheap. Dealership indicated that with the falling tax revenues that municipalities were canceling orders for work trucks. It's a light duty truck, but does everything that I need it to do. I don't know if they are making them currently as the markup without the foo-foo stuff isn't much. For a basic truck can't be beat.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

We haven’t had car payments in 20 years, but we drive older cars and pay cash. I’m still driving my 97 Tacoma that I bought in 01.

I can’t even imagine buying a new truck. Raising a family on a single income, that’s about as financially unthinkable as buying a yacht. We’re happy with our old vehicles.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    The Hyundai Santa Cruz is better looking and better built...

Attachment 295248
    And no dealer within 100 miles to service it...

Boolit Grand Master
    And no dealer within 100 miles to service it...
    Exactly. I have to buy a Ford, Chev, or GMC, unless I want to drive an hour and a half for service.

But it is fine with me....I love living in the middle of nowhere.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast