Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winchester commemoratives finally going up

Boolit Master

winchester commemoratives finally going up

for decades now the value of winchester commemorative guns hasn't kept pace with value of the dollar. well things just might be turning around.
    im watching a 24" centennial 66 on gun broker, its currently bid up to $1325. its used gun but has original box. but has scratch marks where someone who didn't know better tried to polish the 24k gold plated finish

Boolit Master
    That would be nice for a whole lot of folks that figured that somehow the price of these would increase. For years they've been a significantly less expensive option of the "plain" version when you find them for sale (if you don't mind shiny medallions or gold plating as you mentioned).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I certainly would not try to make a pattern from what happens on GB.
    People there are just plain stupid.
    Commeratives are, and always will be, a waste of money.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I think Winchester made a Commoratives at the rate of about one a month for years. They are of less value than the non-commoratives they produced. You won’t make a dime off owning these things.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Bingo. When folks brought in their Idaho Potato Crop & Tractor Pull Commemorative Winchester, I just rolled my eyes back. It was worth LESS than a plain new rifle retail. They just didn't get it. Never will. It's like that junk on the last page of the American Rifleman. A gold plated, silver inlaid, ruby encrusted, and otherwise bejeweled 22 Long Rifle John Wayne Hollywood Western Commemorative. Only 10,000 made. Only 6 equal payments of $500. Right next to the pheromone advert on the last page.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That would be nice for a whole lot of folks that figured that somehow the price of these would increase. For years they've been a significantly less expensive option of the "plain" version when you find them for sale (if you don't mind shiny medallions or gold plating as you mentioned).

About two years ago I picked up a used but excellent shape 1983 Great Western Artist II. It is #200 something of 999 produced. It did not have the case or prints. Original cost in 1983 was $2,500. I paid $325. Personally I think it's fugly but it has the most highly figure stock I own. It also doesn't have a butt pad. The butt is hand checkered wood. They were hand engraved in Italy. The engraving is low quality at best.

An example with pick here:
    https://www.bradfordsauction.com/auc...ase_2AD4B04B56

Description: Winchester Model ’94 Great Western Artists With Case and Framed Artwork. This is another one of Winchester’s great run of meaningful Commemoratives. It sports a blued 20” round barrel with a hooded bead front sight and an elevator-adjustable rear semi-buckhorn sight. The magazine tube is full-length and has two stainless steel barrel bands. This rifle’s receiver’s sides, top and upper tang are engraved with vine-floral patterns. In addition, each side of the receiver depicts different scenes that are surely inspired by Remington and C M Russell western art. The left side shows several mounted cowboys riding up to the Hoffman Hotel with arms extended and guns blazing. The right side has two mounted Indians, with rifles in hand, riding into a herd of Bison on the Western plains. On this side the artist engraved his name and the numbers 653/999. Included with this rifle, there are two framed, signed and numbered prints of the engraved scenes on the receiver. On the upper tang is an engraved, floral scrolled area with the word WINCHESTER engraved in script lettering. The Walnut forearm and buttstock are hand checkered. Caliber/ Gauge: .30-30 Cal.; Serial Number: 4835142 Working Order: Firearm has not been tested; Background Check: Required Keywords: Firearms, Guns; Ref: BD1040
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-24-2022 at 05:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Probably the only reason they're going up is because all guns are going up and are harder to find.

If people can't find regular guns they have to go for the bling.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Well, Henry is starting to become laden with commemoratives also!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, take all of your money out of your 401k and invest it in commemoratives. Great investment.

Boolit Master
    this is what got me interest in the 26" barreled winchester. the gun broker ad is wrong stating 24" barrel. its unique for sure.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_centennial_66.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    About two years ago I picked up a used but excellent shape 1983 Great Western Artist II. It is #200 something of 999 produced. It did not have the case or prints. Original cost in 1983 was $2,500. I paid $325. Personally I think it's fugly but it has the most highly figure stock I own. It also doesn't have a butt pad. The butt is hand checkered wood. They were hand engraved in Italy. The engraving is low quality at best.

An example with pick here:
    https://www.bradfordsauction.com/auc...ase_2AD4B04B56

Description: Winchester Model ’94 Great Western Artists With Case and Framed Artwork. This is another one of Winchester’s great run of meaningful Commemoratives. It sports a blued 20” round barrel with a hooded bead front sight and an elevator-adjustable rear semi-buckhorn sight. The magazine tube is full-length and has two stainless steel barrel bands. This rifle’s receiver’s sides, top and upper tang are engraved with vine-floral patterns. In addition, each side of the receiver depicts different scenes that are surely inspired by Remington and C M Russell western art. The left side shows several mounted cowboys riding up to the Hoffman Hotel with arms extended and guns blazing. The right side has two mounted Indians, with rifles in hand, riding into a herd of Bison on the Western plains. On this side the artist engraved his name and the numbers 653/999. Included with this rifle, there are two framed, signed and numbered prints of the engraved scenes on the receiver. On the upper tang is an engraved, floral scrolled area with the word WINCHESTER engraved in script lettering. The Walnut forearm and buttstock are hand checkered. Caliber/ Gauge: .30-30 Cal.; Serial Number: 4835142 Working Order: Firearm has not been tested; Background Check: Required Keywords: Firearms, Guns; Ref: BD1040
    YES!! One of the ranch truck guns we have is roughly the same. I paid <$250 - original was $1650. Shoots cast beautifully!! But wow it is not a thing of beauty. At first it felt like some sort of desecration, but then I realized - it wasn't intended for anything other than hanging over your home bar.
    Auctions are an awesome thing!!

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

People were duped into thinking the commemoratives were all wonderful and would increase in value. Truth is, most of them were no better made than standard off the shelf 94's. Some were actually very poorly fitted and assembled. The plating and medallions made them lucrative.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

I wouldn't go so far as to say that...…….

I wanted a .32 Special Winchester Model 64, but since they've become too expensive for my wallet for hunting, I bought a new Canadian Rail Road Centennial commemorative for about 1/3 the cost of a pre-64 Winchester.

What's not to like: a nice stock, nice finish, engraved receiver, 2/3 magazine, new bore, receiver peep sight prep - looks better than a pre-64 (and I don't care if it gets some hunting wear).

Last edited by pietro; 01-25-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    I certainly would not try to make a pattern from what happens on GB.
    People there are just plain stupid.
    I would have to respectfully disagree of GunBroker. Like it or not, GunBroker is a national market for firearms and the prices do reflect the current market trends on average. There are always outliers and it is true that auctions can inflate the value sometimes but if you average out the sold sale prices you are going to see what a gun is worth, at least on GunBroker.
    I do however agree with you that Commeratives are a waste of money.

I don't necessarily agree either. I bought my Chief Crazy Horse a few years ago specifically to shoot. Pre-safety, full NEW rifle barrel, not shot out, at a reasonable cost. Far better shooter for the price than an actual vintage rifle. And it is that, a great shooter!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have quite a few guns hanging on my walls and I try to shoot them all at least once a year. I never bought a gun I didn’t intended to shoot.

Boolit Master
    My first Winchester was the short 20" Canadian commerative that I believe I paid $200 for. Used and scratched but nice barrel. Stuck a Lyman globe sight up front and Williams for the rear. So for my 65th birthday I got the big brother with the 26" barrel. Nice and heavy and shoots nice. New in the box for $600. Definitely a great cast bullet rifle since I don't hunt anymore. Frank

Boolit Master
    Only Commemorative Winchester I own is one my wife bought for me for X-mas one year. Will never part with it. Chambered in 22 LR depicting the Boy Scouts of America. Two tone blue and nickel with a nicely figured walnut stock. She purchased it though my friend, who was a FFL holder, at the time. IIRC, it ran less than $400 OTD, new in box, in the 80's. It's a shooter. I installed a polished blue Leo 4x rimfire scope on it. It's what I grab when varmints are raiding the bird feeders.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I don't necessarily agree either. I bought my Chief Crazy Horse a few years ago specifically to shoot. Pre-safety, full NEW rifle barrel, not shot out, at a reasonable cost. Far better shooter for the price than an actual vintage rifle. And it is that, a great shooter!
    The commemoratives I am familiar with (just a few models) I believe are way better built than the standard carbines that were being churned out at the same time. Classy wood, good fit, - I did not want a 30/30 carbine - but I did want a 38/55 with 24" octagon barrel, as a bonus the thing shoots brilliant. The gold plating rubs off easy but it doesnt mark from blackpowder residue. These guns were a bargain for years if you wanted a shooter.

Boolit Master

I had a Classic Winchester with a 26" octagon barrel that was the best shooter I ever had in 30-30. It would rival some bolt guns. In a weak moment I sold it for $50.00 more than I paid for it after shooting it for 3 years. I regretted it the day after I sold it. I didn't buy it because it was a Commemorative but because it had a 26" octagon barrel and was a Winchester. I don't like engraving on a rifle but I could put up with its simple scroll engraving without the gaudy gold or silver filling. I buy rifle and handguns to shoot and not to collect or looks. Just me and not binding on anyone else, james

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast