Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Recommendations Please

Holster Recommendations Please

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 19 with a 2.75" barrel.

Absolutely love it at I carried it hunting last year (the main reason for purchase).

My problem is I'm on my second holster and I can't find one that I like.

I can't find anything on the shelf so I've ordered two different ones that weren't very good quality, my bad, I'll remedy this cheap mistake.

So I'll take the plunge and order something good, so I'm looking for recommendations from your real life use.

I'm after something that will stay tight up against me, hold the gun securely and won't wear out the finish with a rough leather inside.

I'm not opposed to a strap. And I've been looking at the Galco that allows strong-side or cross draw.

I can look at the pictures all day but I value the opinion of the experienced above all else. If you have a leather worker that you've used before then let me know.

Thanks
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post

Absolutely love it at I carried it hunting last year (the main reason for purchase).

I can't find anything on the shelf so I've ordered two different ones that weren't very good quality, my bad, I'll remedy this cheap mistake.

So I'll take the plunge and order something good, so I'm looking for recommendations from your real life use.

I'm after something that will stay tight up against me, hold the gun securely and won't wear out the finish with a rough leather inside.

I'm not opposed to a strap. And I've been looking at the Galco that allows strong-side or cross draw.

I can look at the pictures all day but I value the opinion of the experienced above all else. If you have a leather worker that you've used before then let me know.

Thanks
    Are you looking for a shoulder holster, in the pants, on the belt? Do you want leather, Kydex or ballistic nylon?

For a shoulder holster the leather Galco holster are very nice. I carried a G19 in a Galco modular holster for many years while working.

For in the waistband, I tend to go towards the soft leather. (In my older years I have gotten a little too portly for these.)

For outside the pants on the belt a nice leather pancake holster is nice.

Most better quality leather holster are lined with a soft glove type leather for protection of the firearm.

I have no experience with the Kydex style holsters.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Look into High Noon Holsters. I have 2 OWB one for each of my 1911s. They're one of the few makers that use a synthetic lining. Get on their email list for occasional sales.

Sasquatch pointed out my omissions; I want leather, I don't care for Kydex, I'm sure it's fine but I prefer leather.

Don't want a shoulder holster as I'm always carrying my little backpack with survival gear and a water bladder and since I've already got that and a rifle I don't think anything else over or behind the shoulder would be good. Let me know if I'm wrong based on your experience.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post

Thanks
    Best brand of beer? Best Pizza? Best... holster recommendation? Several years ago I bought a S&W 696 and was faced with a find-a-holster challenge, ending up with a "???" choice of one from Simply Rugged Holsters ( https://www.simplyrugged.com/ ). To say I was super-extremely-elated at what came might be an understatement! So pleased I was/am, I purchased a second from them for another revolver!
    Vis both of these, it seemed as if each was adroitly custom fitted to each revolver; both are quite pleasing to the eye; and -- after wearing these in the field -- they surely seem to be holding up better than expected! (No scratches, dull spots, etc.)
    Again -- this is MY experience... hope it helps.
    geo

Super Moderator

El Paso Saddlery makes some really fine leather holsters. I have several, and they are top notch.

https://epsaddlery.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a cross draw chest holster from Galco (pricey). It can hang either of two ways per your preference. I occasionally hunt an area where my buddy was mauled by a grizzly and my thought is the chest rig will be front & center even if I'm falling backwards. Very comfortable and practical. Of course, it's in the way of my binos ~ I adjusted. It doesn't clash with brush as move through heavy cover like a hip holster can. Easier to use than a conventional shoulder holster when worn under an overcoat. It's different (at least from my experience) , so if you can deal with the worn pistol location, it might work for you, too.

I agree for carrying a backup pistol while in the woods, the chest holster is the way to go. There are a few different ones and picking the best is like picking Chevy or Ford !

Boolit Mold
    I made my own, plain nothing fancy western style holsters out of heavy leather rough side out and use leather shoestring to slip over the hammer to hold gun in. Have them for Charter Bulldog 44 special, Ruger Blackhawks 41 mag & 45 Colt, and New Dakota 45 Colt. The two oldest holsters are for the Bulldog and the New Dakota made 25 years or so ago, the outside now is dark and smooth after all these years, used no dye on them. Newer holsters I just made not long ago also ruff out, but I dyed them. Also made a couple rifle scabbards.

All you need is sharp knife, leather punch, large needle and/or sewing awl, heavy-duty waxed thread or nylon mason twine and large enough piece of leather for whatever you are making. If you don't have a pattern you can trace around your gun on cardboard, then fold it around your gun until you get what you want before cutting the leather.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    El Paso Saddlery makes some really fine leather holsters. I have several, and they are top notch.

https://epsaddlery.com/
    Hard to beat for either concealed carry or field use is El Paso Saddlery C-Force. IWB with reinforced opening which permits 1-hand reholstering. Work as well for 4-inch N-frame .44 Magnum as it will for your Model 19 snub. Protects the gun well, doesn't print, comfortable in the car and good retention.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I like El Paso Saddlery holsters.

Bitterroot Gunleather (caleb koller) is my "go to" holster maker.

Boolit Master

EPS hands down.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

For comfort on an all day carry I recommend a pancake style holster. A belt from 10-12oz, full grain leather, 1.5" wide would also be a plus. I carry one of these and find it to be a great asset. I have mine in a straight up and down configuration

Boolit Master
    https://www.simplyrugged.com/
    Sturdy and not very expensive.

The only way I seem to be able to get a holster I like is if I make it myself.
    The last holster I made was for a friend that has done multiple favors for me.
    I made him a nice, tooled leather holster for his P365.
    Leather craft is a fun and rewarding hobby, but it would get tiresome as a job.

Try Rick Jorgensen @ Desert Gun leather and discuss your wants - he's known for making whatever a customer wants at reasonable prices:

https://desertgunleather.com/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I'm into Mernickle holsters. I have two and both fit the guns perfectly and give you two options for carry IE: standard Strong Side Carry and Cross Draw. For the gun you have you will probably want a Thumb Break style holster. The Thumb Break is easy to disengage as you go to count one of your draw.(Establishing your grip on the gun)

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/

Here's a pic of mine for my S&W 696 with a 3" bbl.. Look in the "Concealed Carry" or "Hunting" portion of their website.

They also have really nice super heavy belts that are 1/4" thick and can be used as a Gun Belt for their Holsters, I have one of those too.

Their Prices are very reasonable and their Quality is top notch.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464219.JPG   100464223.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-27-2022 at 07:32 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
    My choice. I’ve got one coming Monday. My friend has one and to date it’s the best I’ve seen as far as comfort and keeping your hands free.

Boolit Master
    I joke that the Simply Rugged Sourdough looks like a leather cow patty when you take it out of the mailing envelope. The Sourdough completely covers the whole gun except the grips. Nothing damages your gun, plus the gun doesn’t damage your hide. I have a couple SR Sourdoughs and a Shootist, they’re all well made.

I’ve never noticed the rough inside harming any of the finish on my guns. Also I’ve always been told that the soft leather liners hold dust and grit sanding the guns finish worse than unlined holsters. Simply Rugged offers a way to attach “Chesty Puller” straps to the Sourdough making it a chest holster.

The Mernickle holsters are nicer looking than Simply Rugged and don’t hold the gun as close to the body, but they are well designed, well made and comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast