Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holster Recommendations Please

Boolit Grand Master

Pancakes, Hold the syrup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0479.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	295416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids 134.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	295417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUN PICS 12-16 012.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	295418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	295419

This is the style I prefer for belt carry of 4 inch or shorter revolvers or service size auto pistols, unless I am carrying a rifle on a sling. A pancake holds the gun snugly and tight against the body, while allowing a swift draw. Virtually all the top makers produce one, but I can recommend the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake. I make my own leather goods and I know quality workmanship when I see it. Simply Rugged Delivers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

For years I lived in El Paso and El Paso Saddlery was a regular hang out. The owner was Bobby McNellis and was a find human who made find leather gear. He died of cancer some years back and the quality of the product and service has declined. There is a back story to why this has happened.

These days I recommend either;

Simply Rugged....Rob Leahy is a fine guy who makes top quality holster that last and are of very good design. You can't go wrong with one of his holsters.

Barranti Leather ...Mike "Doc" Barranti" takes leather work to the next step and produces classic designs of all types of the very highest quality. Mike is in the process of moving his shop and business to Dunn Texas.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I like Winthrop Holsters the best for my 1911's and a Hi Power I have but for my Smiths' I like these folks leather. Azula Leather You can find them on Amazon (and I'm sure other places). They seem very well built and are very comfortable. I use them for a 6" 629, a 4" 28, 4" 66 and a 4" 25-7. As I say I really like them.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good holster makers listed so I’ll add another DM Bullard. He use to be in Azle Texas but I think he moved somewhere in North East Texas. I’m sure you can find him on the web.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I like my Urban Carry Holster. Designed for concealed carry but comfortable and very easy to get at. They have models for, I believe, most calibers. Check them out.

I love my gunfighters inc chest rig, it’s kydex though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good recommendations here as to quality makers. I carried a 2 1/2" Mod. 19 for years in an upside down shoulder holster under a jacket, but wouldn't recommend that for hunting. In fact, very honestly, there are few if any good solutions to your problem.

Let's assume that you're right handed (if not, just turn this advice and these observations around!) and that you hunt with a rifle. If you were a handgun hunter we wouldn't be having the conversation. No doubt you have a sling on your rifle. There are those folks who don't use slings, but not so many, and if you carry a back pack, water bottle, etc. you must range over long distances and a sling would be almost essential.

So, if you're right handed and wear a belt holster on the right side, you'll likely experience conflict with carrying the rifle slung over your shoulder, going bang, bang, bang against the butt of the handgun as you hike along, and may actually experience a situation where you rapidly take the rifle off your shoulder and it gets hung up with the sling snagging the pistol's butt.

If you wear an inside the pants model holster, again right side, then you have to pull your belt very tight to retain it snugly against your body. The sling can still snag, and walking miles with a very tight belt can hurt your back.

Move it over to a cross draw, now the butt is forward and available to snag on bushes, etc. I do know of one fellow who is right handed and carries some of his handguns in a left handed belt holster to avoid the rifle/handgun conflict, but I imagine it takes some fancy shuffling to get the revolver out with the left hand and switch it over to the right hand while figuring out what to do with the rifle. But-- he's a Texan, and they know about such things.

You already seem to have ruled out a shoulder holster, but if you could come to an accommodation of the shoulder harness and the back pack straps, a butt forward horizontal Galco-style might be a solution, especially with a short barreled revolver.

Then, there's the chest carry which has something going for it, but I've always found it to be in a bad location for exposure and snagging as well. I think the U.S. G.I. so-called shoulder holster might be the best way to go, located low left side of the abdomen. Won't interfere if you shift the rifle from a right side carry to the left side, is higher than the belt, lower than the armpit, doesn't interfere with sitting down, less likely to snag on branches as the butt is not oriented directly forward--kind of at a 45 degree angle to the front right side.

Problem is, of course, that these holsters were/are made for large frame semi-autos, so one for a 2 1/2" S&W would be strictly a one off custom job. If you want to change handguns to a 1911 or M9 they're readily available at reasonable prices.

Depending on what your perceived role for the handgun is, you might do better to carry it in the back pack.

I'll give a fellow Forum Member a plug here-- there's a member that goes by the user name of Springfield and who has a business, Whyte Leather Works. I've purchased 3 holsters from him over the last maybe 4 years and all were satisfactory.
    Strictly custom-- 2 are vertical shoulder holsters, one each for a 1862 C&B revolver and an 1873 SAA-type revolver, both of which involved shoulder harness, etc. The other (3rd) is a very high quality belt holster for a 1911, OWB conventional sheath type. Custom holsters are what he does, and seldom makes the same one twice. Look at www.Whyte Leather Works.com (sure hope that works--I'm a lousy linker, but that's how it appears on his business card), where he has a big display of the many different holsters he's made. He can get backlogged, so I'd ask about that.

I've carried handguns and rifles together in various capacities under different conditions for many years, and it's proven to always be either inconvenient or uncomfortable. I've got two large boxes of holsters that didn't work out or which became obsolete as circumstances changed.

Best of luck with this.

DG

Maybe try it as www.whyteleatherworks.com

DG

Falco! Im really happy with mine. Handmade leather holsters and customized to you liking. Its a little bit of a wait time but they are quite worth it for a nice pistol.

https://www.falcoholsters.com/
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

I've known Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged Holsters since he was cranking them out on his kitchen table top in Alaska. That's been a few years ago. He moved to Arizona and his holster making operation began to grow. I have probably 6-8 of his holsters. Rob stands behind his products and his word. I've had the pleasure of meeting Rob at a few get togethers and you won't find a finer man. The other makers listed I'm sure build good products. Mike 'Doc' Barranti is a leather maker extraordinaire and artisian rolled up into one. I'm not currently in need of a holster, at the age of 68 I've got what I need and works for me. You stated you wanted a holster that holds the gun close to your body? My mind goes straight to Roy Rogers (long out of business) who started it all when he produced the first pancake holster that I am aware of. He lived within 50 miles and I saw a lot of (and have a few) of his holsters). Simply Rugged sells their 'Tribute' model to Roy, you may want to take a good look at it before purchasing your new holster. As Skeeter Skelton once stated, "My holster maker is as important to me as my doctor". Good luck on your search.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I've known Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged Holsters since he was cranking them out on his kitchen table top in Alaska. That's been a few years ago. He moved to Arizona and his holster making operation began to grow. I have probably 6-8 of his holsters. Rob stands behind his products and his word. I've had the pleasure of meeting Rob at a few get togethers and you won't find a finer man. The other makers listed I'm sure build good products. Mike 'Doc' Barranti is a leather maker extraordinaire and artisian rolled up into one. I'm not currently in need of a holster, at the age of 68 I've got what I need and works for me. You stated you wanted a holster that holds the gun close to your body? My mind goes straight to Roy Rogers (long out of business) who started it all when he produced the first pancake holster that I am aware of. He lived within 50 miles and I saw a lot of (and have a few) of his holsters). Simply Rugged sells their 'Tribute' model to Roy, you may want to take a good look at it before purchasing your new holster. As Skeeter Skelton once stated, "My holster maker is as important to me as my doctor". Good luck on your search.

Murphy
    That was Roy Baker, the Pancake Maker.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Great advice all, thanks.

I am right handed, and I do use a sling, I cover a lot of miles.

The brush/snagging thing isn't terrible here in Idaho.

I'd thought a lot about a cross draw holster. The chest holster is a negative for me as I carry my binoculars in a harness there, I do a lot of glassing too.

The under the arm or the cross draw might be the way to go. I'm going to look at the manufacturers recommended.

Thanks again.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    That was Roy Baker, the Pancake Maker.

I stand corrected. Oddly enough, I had a feeling as I typed Roy Rogers something wasn't right. Oop's, my bad.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Being a little budget conscious, I picked a 1791, for my old S&W Victory, 3". It's curved to fit close to the body, and holds the firearm securely.
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

"Poor planning, on your part, does not constitute an emergency, on my part..."

Boolit Master

Prairie, I have a S&W Model 13-3 round butt in 3" barrel and I have been unable to find a holster that will hold the butt close to my body. Exactly what is a 1791 and from what company? A picture would be nice. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Prairie, I have a S&W Model 13-3 round butt in 3" barrel and I have been unable to find a holster that will hold the butt close to my body. Exactly what is a 1791 and from what company? A picture would be nice. james
    https://1791gunleather.com/holsters/

TNsailorman: Beerd got it right. That's their web site. I happened to find mine at one of the LGSs, here in the Tulsa area.
    Although I haven't worn it much yet, I like the way it feels, and it secures the Smith well. It is a little long for the 3", but it can be "adjusted" with a little TLC.
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Oh yea; pics:

Name:	20220322_020157.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	297959

Name:	20220322_020336 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	297960

Name:	20220322_020509.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	297961

Name:	20220322_021201 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	297962

Henry Ward Beecher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12