MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Newest cartridge sensation; 8.6 Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Your rationale is flawed. New shooters are better off with standard offerings they can get reasonably priced ammunition for. .
    Valid points, I agree. From what I've seen, a new purchase is more what people want than what they need, and most people want something irrespective of how practical it is. The sheer number of wildcats is an indication of that.

Sometimes it takes a long while for a caliber to become popular. The 284 was around for a long time before it became almost a standard in 1000 yard matches.

Worst case, people that buy this new 8.6 will end up buying something else to replace it with. That is still a win for everyone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I am one of the old guys 71. Not interested in this round at all. I do have a 300 blackout Ar but it was gifted to me. I just punch paper now, so it is cheaper to load. My 30/40 Krag, 7x57, 45/70, and 223 rem Single shots do every thing that I have ever asked of them.
    A old RB 43 Spanish is in the mix as well, plus a 243 win FN Mauser that my Father owned .

I am the same age and feel the same about my little armory. I still hunt, but nothing "new and improved" will do a better job than what I have. And if you had to hunt, you are very well covered with those old archaic calibers.

You hit on another point. I am one of those weird guys who likes to shoot. 99% the of the approximately 8000 rounds I shoot are at paper, steel or clays. The other 80 are at one or two deer, game birds, a few squirrels, and varmints. I cannot see needing "new and improved" to plink and target practice. Most folks would be better off with fewer toys and more ammo/components. Hard to feel sympathy for a person with more than a dozen guns but has no ammunition and/or components.
    Last edited by dverna; 01-31-2022 at 02:51 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have a few friends who enjoy building "AR" uppers. I can see them building an 8.6 Blackout simply because it's a new project; then it goes onto the Wall Rack or safe along with numerous others gathering dust as they symbolically say "Been There - Done That".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I am the same age and feel the same about my little armory. I still hunt, but nothing "new and improved" will do a better job that what I have. And if you had to hunt, you are very well covered with those old archaic calibers.

You hit on another point. I am one of those weird guys who likes to shoot. 99% the of the approximately 8000 rounds I shoot are at paper, steel or clays. The other 80 are at one or two deer, game birds, a few squirrels, and varmints. I cannot see needing "new and improved" to plink and target practice. Most folks would be better off with fewer toys and more ammo/components. Hard to feel sympathy for a person with more than a dozen guns but has no ammunition and/or components.

Still squirrel hunt once in awhile. Have a couple of 22lr, 20ga and 12 ga plus a little 32 cal BP rifle plus a 22mag if ever needed so I am pretty sure I have everything covered. Besides paper targets are not hard to kill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I am one of the old guys 71. Not interested in this round at all. I do have a 300 blackout Ar but it was gifted to me. I just punch paper now, so it is cheaper to load. My 30/40 Krag, 7x57, 45/70, and 223 rem Single shots do every thing that I have ever asked of them.
    A old RB 43 Spanish is in the mix as well, plus a 243 win FN Mauser that my Father owned .
    i like them vintage calibers!!! i own a 30 remington, 30-40 krag, 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 7.65x53 argie and a 35/30-30. my single shots are tc encore's with 23" MGM barrels in 20 vartarg(221 rem fireball necked down), 444 marlin and the 500 linebaugh(think of it as a 50-70 gov but in a smaller package). the only one i shoot jacketed bullets is the 20 vartarg.

i have many brass cases, except for the 30 remington (100 grafs brass). since i'm using cast boolits at moderate speeds, i'll have enuff. i bought 500 cases from starline for my 30-30 and 500 linebaugh. i have about 400-500 cases in my krag and 444. the others i can use 30-06 brass for. (i have a drawer full of '06 cases)

i am 49yo and i like to hunt and shoot(paper, cans....not a competitive shooter). more and more, i like older calibers. i am not a fan of "new" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i like them vintage calibers!!! i own a 30 remington, 30-40 krag, 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, 7.65x53 argie and a 35/30-30. my single shots are tc encore's with 23" MGM barrels in 20 vartarg(221 rem fireball necked down), 444 marlin and the 500 linebaugh(think of it as a 50-70 gov but in a smaller package). the only one i shoot jacketed bullets is the 20 vartarg.

i have many brass cases, except for the 30 remington (100 grafs brass). since i'm using cast boolits at moderate speeds, i'll have enuff. i bought 500 cases from starline for my 30-30 and 500 linebaugh. i have about 400-500 cases in my krag and 444. the others i can use 30-06 brass for. (i have a drawer full of '06 cases)

i am 49yo and i like to hunt and shoot(paper, cans....not a competitive shooter). more and more, i like older calibers. i am not a fan of "new" ones.
    I guess I am vintage! LOL

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If ya like it , buy it sounds like a good line for it . Time will let us know if it ends up like the Herter's power mag.

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    After reading this thread I'm concerned that casting bullets may be a gateway drug to judging and condemning people based on what they want to purchase and enjoy.
    Casting boolits to casting aspersions?

I would love to see ANY cartridge that gets young people interested in the shooting sports.

I work in a blue-collar environment with 12 people on my team. I am the oldest, with the majority of them being under 30.

Only one has any interest in firearms, or hunting, or fishing, or anything outdoors.

The rest all jabber incessantly every day about the latest video game, or computer, or football game.

They are our future and it looks bleak. No work ethic, no interest in tools or firearms, or even vehicles.

It's weird and creepy. The only one on the team that knows how to do any auto maintenance is a transsexual that grew up on a farm in Idaho.

So anytime I see a young person interested in firearms, or fishing, or anything outdoors-related, I try not to judge them or cast aspersions.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Casting boolits to casting aspersions?

I would love to see ANY cartridge that gets young people interested in the shooting sports.

I work in a blue-collar environment with 12 people on my team. I am the oldest, with the majority of them being under 30.

Only one has any interest in firearms, or hunting, or fishing, or anything outdoors.

The rest all jabber incessantly every day about the latest video game, or computer, or football game.

They are our future and it looks bleak. No work ethic, no interest in tools or firearms, or even vehicles.

It's weird and creepy. The only one on the team that knows how to do any auto maintenance is a transsexual that grew up on a farm in Idaho.

So anytime I see a young person interested in firearms, or fishing, or anything outdoors-related, I try not to judge them or cast aspersions.
    Well said.

Boolit Master
    Most new shooters wouldn't know the difference between a brand new cartridge and a hundred year old round. If you have someone that wants to become a shooter or at least is interested in shooting,you should take them shooting. Most would be just as happy shooting a 7.62x39 as a 300BO or for that matter a 8.6 BO. If you covered the headstamp they wouldn't know the difference and more than likely wouldn't care. For that matter, I'm 73 and although I can tell the difference, I don't care. Any of the 3 will do about the same thing if shot from a similar chamber and twist.

Boolit Buddy
    I can see nothing but trouble coming from that 1:3 twist rate. To me it sounds like throat erosion city, and would preclude the use of cast or light jacketed bullets.
    I suppose for some very niche users...secret squirrel types assassinating warlords wearing body armor at impossible ranges...maybe. maybe.
    I could be wrong, but this sounds like a big step past the point of diminishing returns.

I'm not in the business of hating on others for their choice in cartridges or rifles. I shoot my trapdoor Springfield just as much as my 300blackout, and wouldn't want to do without either of them.
    It just seems like this 8.6 blackout doesn't really provide much useful benefit to anyone.
    I get that it suppresses well, but with a slug that heavy...wouldn't a traditional big bore with a can work better for hunting?
    Yeah, that's a long sexy bullet...but all the B.C. means you don't have to get nose-to-nose with your game, so why bother with subs?
    Hopefully I'm missing something.
    What can it do that a .45-70 shooting a 535 postel can't? Seems like a solution for a problem that was solved in 1873.

If you gotta have a semi-auto...wouldn't a .45raptor take care of business?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Ahhh the .45 Raptor ! My pal rescued a 22-250 that had seen seven thousand rounds through it and used the action for a Raptor . Now it is a merciless deer killing machine .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I guess I am one of those "guys.". I have been patiently waiting several years for the release of barrels for the 8.6 Creedmoor/Blackout. Why? Because it is a 308/AR 10 platform that I have wanted to do a pistol/ or SBR build with. I am intrigued by the claims, and just want to see what it can do. I WILL be trying hard cast bullets in it, and if that is a total flop I guess I will try something else. I was never into the modern rifle scene until a friend had me put together a few back around 2010. Several dozen later I found that they can be accurate as anything I have owned, I like the weight, and being able to hunt and not worry about the rain or snow, wiping off the days trek through the brush on the wood and nice blueing of my hunting rifles just makes the hunt more enjoyable and less work at the end of the day for me. I have loved the 300BLK and taken several deer, but won't use it for an elk. THIS will be a brush elk gun for me. No shots will ever be beyond 300 yards so if I see less drop than the 50 Beowolf it is a win. If I have less blast shooting a big sub vs a pistol length 308 super, it's a win. If, and I say this just to put it out there, if it fails to deliver you guys will be the first to know. It shares common components outside of the barrel and dies, and I already have Creedmoor brass so if it doesn't deliver I can swap the barrel to something I am familiar with...say a pistol length 6.5 Creedmoor or something along those lines. BTW, just ordered a barrel yesterday.

Im going in.
    Got a Faxon 12" barrel with the 1/3 twist on the way. Got 6.5 Creedmore brass to neck up. Got the 8.6 dies from Lee on the way.

Makers is making 300-grain solid copper bullets made to expand at subsonic velocity. That 1/3 twist has already killed Zebra, Cape buffalo, Gazelles, Lions, and all manner of game in Africa. The torque on that bullet adds a new dimension. Looking at rounds fired in ballistic gelatine shows wound cavity 3 times larger than standard bullets with standard twists.

Anything that can kill a Cape Buffalo is no slouch. The beauty of this cartridge in subsonic applications. I'll be shooting subs through a silencer.

Now, here's the part you cast bullets guys are going to like. I have a NOE 260 lead cast mold for the .338 that Im going to try. Running at 1000 fps, it ought to do the trick. With a soft cast bullet, Id like to see the expansion on it. If it gets here before deer season Im going to pop a few with it. Having popped over a dozen with subsonic Blackouts and.308's, I'm interested to see if it'll be a quicker kill. Not that I've had any issues as of yet but it seems doable.

Having seen video of suppressed rounds slapping steel at 800 yards looks intriguing to me.

I'll keep you posted on the results. Cast bullets are an infinite supply. If Slo-Biden continues his stupidity it might be a good thing to have.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Mold
    HotGuns, did you get around to cast boolit testing for the 8.6BO? I'm interested in doing it myself and am trying to drum up support to get NOE to make some of their 315gr flat point slick side molds again. Please consider signing up.

Here's my post about it.

Boolit Mold
    xacex,

I'm interested in doing it myself and am trying to drum up support to get NOE to make some of their 315gr flat point slick side molds again. Please consider signing up.

Here's my post about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    but then again why, when you have a capability to shoot a 338 fed. or better yet a 358 win. why would you choose that one.
    The ar 10 is heavy like some have said previously but aint that the fun of it all to do what your not supposed to or go against the grain?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Amen. Where's the fun in being a copycat?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Ok I will do the maths for you..a 1;3 twist rotates 4 times per foot..... so if projectile is travelling at 1000 feet per second its ROTATING 4000 times per second x 60 seconds perminute = 6x4=24 add on the zeros 240,000rpm
    VS something like .270 with for ease of maths 1;12 doing 3000fps =180,000rpm its spinning 25% faster so its up in the 220swift league as far as stress on a projectile is concerned.....
    the forces inside the projectile trying to tear itself apart out wards will be extreme....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456