Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt “medium spicy” loads?

.45 Colt “medium spicy” loads?

Hey there, so I’m still pretty new to the brass reloading but I’ve done a couple batches of .45 Colt on regular plinking style and up to “bear loads”. What I’m looking for is something in the middle, but I heard some powders don’t like to be loaded on the light side. Wondering if anyone can shed some light for me. The projectiles I have at hand are 200gr, 230gr, 255gr. The powders I have are: Red/Blue/Green Dot, Unique, Win 296, Win 572, Lil Gun, H-110 and Hodg Universal. Looking for something more stout than a regular Red Dot load but not quite as spicy as a H-110/296 load. Cheers!

255 8.5 of Unique in a modern gun in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Alliant Powders lists 9.5/Unique/255 gr. LSWC as a max load, AND it's not half bad. I've read and been told that one may venture upward to 10.0/Unique/255 gr. LSWC, but I find that a lot TOO "spicey". Others who've tried it report that the load makes their cases stick.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Vendor Sponsor

What gun? That would tell us a LOT.

Meanwhile you can google for Brian Pearce Tier II loads and see how many hits you get, he has 3 charts for 3 different power levels, you will find some of your mid level 45 Colt loads there.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Unique, around 8gr +/- 0.5 with a 255gr bullet is about where my old Vaquero likes them.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Unique or Bluedot would be your best powders for what you're looking for. With the BD, you would want to load to the upper end loads. BD burns more efficiently and cleaner with close to max loads. 8.5 grains of Unique is pretty much a universal load in the 45 Colt cartridge. My go to load is 9 grains of Alliant Herco. Which revolver are you going to shoot your loads in?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Banned
    If you’re using a Ruger Blackhawk you can hot rod them quite a bit! Since you don’t state what gun you’re using I wouldn’t use more than 8.5 grains of Unique with any projectile!

Boolit Master
    I found 20 grs IMR 4227 under a 255 to be very accurate in several 45 Colt revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pick one … https://stevespages.com/451p_3.html
    Plus add horse radish to your lube … and let us know which recipe you picked
    Last edited by John Boy; 01-24-2022 at 12:48 PM.
    Regards
    John

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Full charge load I use in the Colt New Service and Pietta clones of Colt SAA is 7 to 7.5 grains of Bullseye with any cast lead bullet from 230-290 grains. Thanks to Larry Gibson for the pressure test data shown below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45Colt45-240H7pt5BE.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	295171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45Colt45-262H7pt5BE.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	295172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45Colt45-290H.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	295174

Revolver velocity about 100-150 fps lower than the 10-inch Contender, depending upon barrel-cylinder gap.

The 290-grain bullet load gives 855 fps from my 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk with cylinder gap 0.006"
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-24-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

5.2 gr of Clays or Clay Dot with a 250 gr rnfp or 255 gr swc work in a 45colt or a 45 Schofield make a warm cas rifle load to me. The shorter case feels a tad warmer. I use the same load but drop to a 180 or 200 gr bullet in my revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

Bluedot is where I would start. It's a great powder for the caliber.

Is Bluedot not temperature sensitive anymore? Or just not in rifle/pistol loads?

Boolit Grand Master

Factory Equivilent Load - 250 to 255 gr. cast boolit (RF or SWC)
    8.5 grs. Unique @ 900 fps ...

7.5 grs. Unique @ 850 fps is my favorite pet load with the 250gr-255 gr. cast SWC ... and the same powder charge does nicely with 200 gr and 230 gr. cast boolits . Very accurate and not punishing to revolver or shooter .

These are standard pressure loads .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had to reread the original post. Of the powders on hand, there was no 4227, Clays, Clay Dot, Bullseye or Herco. Given the powders available, my vote is for Unique right around the 8 grain level. For what it’s worth, the 1.09 Lee disc drops 7.9 grains of Unique, my most accurate load for a 255 grain cast bullet in a Black Hawk or Model 92

It would help to know what gun you are loading for and your intended target.

My standard 45 Colt load uses 8 grains of Unique with a cast 255 RFN. Works well on tin cans, plastic milk jugs, cardboard boxes and paper targets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Is Bluedot not temperature sensitive anymore? Or just not in rifle/pistol loads?
    Same as any other older powder. About the same as Unique or H110 as far as velocity loss.

Boolit Grand Master
    Assuming a 250-ish cast SWC, 8.0 grns. Green Dot or W-572, 8.5 Unique, or Universal: all of these are "peppy" and not for grand dad's old SAA, but they are fine for modern New Model Vaqueros and the like.

Personally, I found that Green Dot was something of a sleeper in this caliber, though I only had about a quarter pound of it. It worked very well with a 452-424 in my Ruger.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the replies! It’s going thru a Henry Big Boy lever gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast