Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Had To Put Our Doggy Ralph Down. This Sucks

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You and your wife were blessed with Ralph for 12 years and Ralph was blessed with you. Prayers going ut to both of you as it is never easy to have to say goodbye. When you least expect it, you will be blessed again by a dog that needs your love, security and protection . . . and Ralph will have a hand in all of that. Cherish the good memories you have and remember that God sent Ralpih to the two of you for a reason.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry fpr your loss. Dogs are truly a mans best friend.....................Curdog

Boolit Master
    I know it's hard, but you did the right thing.
    So sorry for your loss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I do not think I could pull the trigger on a pet I loved. One of my buddies is like me. He had to put s pet down and called his cousin.

Another guy I know, does not want anyone else to do it. Wants that last moment together.

I love dogs and hate going through the loss. Three times now...not sure I want to do it again.
    im a dog softy. I could no sooner put a gun to my dogs head then my wife or son. Id gladly pay the vet to do it with an injection that just puts them to sleep. Id do it if it cost a 1000 bucks. I know friends who do do there own dogs and some that feel its there obligation but it would be easier for me to walk up to a stranger on the street and shoot them in the head as it would be to do it to my dog. Killing doesnt much bother me but killing something i love does. Now if i was far enough away from the vet and i knew my buddy was in terrible pain id probably have to man up.

Moderator Emeritus

It is a very hard thing to do....but it was the right thing. It seems like emergencies happen on weekends and holidays....we live on a ranch and I had to put down a horse not long ago....it really sucks but like what you did it was the right thing. I am so sorry for your loss they capture a part of your heart!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    We had to put our 18 year old dachshund down two years ago, and it's taken until just recently for my wife to want another dog. They get into your heart almost as much as your kids! I'm sorry for your loss.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Super Moderator

Whether it's at the hands of the vet, or if you have to do it yourself, it's never easy. We've had to put several dogs down over the years, and we miss them to this day. I have considered the method you used a time or two, but the wife wasn't having it. My condolences to you on the loss of your little friend.

Boolit Master

Outside of dealing with a relative. The responsibility of dealing with an ageing and ill pet can be in some ways be just as difficult. I know. Our little friends have never cheated us or lied to us. Have always been there for us. We sometimes are the ones who saved them and gave them a safe and loving home. To have the courage to recognize true suffering and hasten to end it. Is a true friend.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your dog, after my Chewy boy passed I have not tried to replace him.But sometimes after watching those ads on TV with lonely dogs in cage's I almost want to head to the shelter and get one.

MAN’S BEST FRIEND

These "best friends" of ours, seem to latch onto a little piece of our soul. You could say that they steal it, but we gladly give it up to them. They share it, and even grow it when they are here with us. And when they leave, they take it with them; and we have to learn to live without it, and them. For quite awhile it hurts about like losing an arm or a leg, and maybe that piece of soul never comes back.

I think I might have another little piece of soul to give up to another friend, but that last piece I lost still hasn't healed over yet.

jd Scholer
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Mold
    There was a article many years ago in the American Rifleman about the best place to bury your dog. I remember the line “The best place to bury your dog is in your heart.” I’ve had to put our dog down - it’s tough. But “Radar” is always with me, in my heart.

Boolit Grand Master
    You cannot trust some "friends", but you can always trust your dog.

I remember a quote by Mark Twain, "When a man's dog turns against him it is time for a wife to pack her trunk and go home to mama."
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Tough, really tough duty. That of relieving your loved companion of their suffering. My 12+ year old Weimer has been going down hill for a while (eye sight and many fatty tumors) and suddenly just today following a vet visit his hind legs/hips won't support him. I'm guessing the vet was wrenching on his legs to see if he had hip dysplasia and aggravated an otherwise minor condition, but the clock has been running out for him and I hold no malice.

If he is still messed up tomorrow I'm gonna have to man the hell up.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    Last edited by warren5421; 01-23-2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: errows

Banned

i keep saying this is the last dog ill have. But one always seems to find its way home. After the last one died it was shocking how empty and quiet this house felt when the wife was at work. It felt like it doubled in size and someone took out everything important. I dont make friends easily. I have high standards for who a trust enough to call a friend. I can probably count guys ive called friends in my whole life on my 10 fingers. Its kind of why im a dog person. A dogs love you can count on.

Boolit Buddy
    Dogs are a gift from god. Sorry for your loss.

Boolit Bub
    12 years is a good run, their lives are too short. A vet friend came to our house and put our 14 yr lab down, we put it in their big plastic bag and took it out to the pet crem on a Sunday (wife knew the door code) saved a bunch and was nice, kinda. On the drive out my 4 yr old says " Dad when I become a sky ..... (His name) you'll take me out and put me in the freezer? Won't you?" What do you say.... " Sure will son".

Boolit Master

My sincerest condolences. I know this is in my future. Fenway, my Brittany, will be 13 this spring. He's in fairly good health for his age, but I know it's only a matter of time. God how I dread the thought...

Boolit Bub
    And now we have a heading x huntaway puppy from working lines. Super smart and eager to please but sure is active

Boolit Master
    Jonp you have my Condolence! My Bullmastiff, Max just spent a week in the hospital. You definitely don’t want to know what the bill was but I really didn’t care. He’s part of my family and in fact he has saved my life. I’ve posted this before but he woke my wife up while I was having a heart attack in my sleep. I need an immediate bypass surgery. Surgeon told my wife I had what they called the Widowmaker. Because of him alerting in a quickness in which I got to the hospital I had absolutely no damage to my heart muscle. Anyway enough about Max I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12