RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Dial Caliper Not High End Starret or Mitutoyo

Boolit Grand Master

Best Dial Caliper Not High End Starret or Mitutoyo

I decided to upgrade my plastic dial RCBS which still works, to a metal caliper. There are several on Amazon that get good reviews but don't break the bank like this one in considering
    https://www.amazon.com/Caliper-0-001...s%2C408&sr=8-3

Any thoughts or recommendations? Are digital as good as dial? I prefer a dial but I can change I guess but I like stuff where I don't need batteries or electricity to use at my hunting camp
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I have Starret and Mitutoyo calipers and for reloading 90 percent of the time I use my Harbor freight calipers. They work. Dial and steel. Probably made by same company per your link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...per-63730.html

Kev
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I have the hornady one..... It's mid-range priced, seems very well-built and has served me well for years.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Depending on where you are, often times really good precision tools are in pawn shops,
    and you can get them for little more than the budget priced ones.

The cheaper ones are good, but often wear out sooner by losing their repeatability of coming back exactly to zero.

I've currently got a set of the steel RCBS ones.
    They're doing well, but I'm real careful about using them gently,
    and putting them back in their box when not in use.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-22-2022 at 04:01 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    I have Starret and Mitutoyo calipers and for reloading 90 percent of the time I use my Harbor freight calipers. They work. Dial and steel. Probably made by same company per your link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...per-63730.html

Kev
    My wife is sure getting tired of " hey, I need to stop by HF"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    My wife is sure getting tired of " hey, I need to stop by HF"
    Mine too! Hahahaha

I actually keep my calipers near the press on one of those magnetic strips they sell….along with a few dies, allen wrenches, etc…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5C8232C-3BE4-40C8-9E3B-97B149D38197.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	295000
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 01-22-2022 at 04:13 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I've had my RCBS metal dial calipers since 1984 and it still works fine. It goes back in it's case after every use even if I lay them down. They look just like those in your link Jon.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I've had my RCBS metal dial calipers since 1984 and it still works fine. It goes back in it's case after every use even if I lay them down. They look just like those in your link Jon.
    The plastic RCBS ones I have now say "Swiss Made"

Boolit Grand Master

I have several sets of dials Helios Mititoyo but I do prefer the digitals. The ne nice thing is they can be zeroed any where along the beam, this works good when trimming and repetitive measuring you measure to 0 +-. Dials are good but can be susceptible to dust or dirt in the rack, Most digital arnt.

Here are mine, sorry for blurry pictures the tablet doesn't have a very good camera. They say made in China.

Name:	IMG_20220122_133436.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	295001

Name:	IMG_20220122_133406.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	295002
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Vendor Sponsor

DON'T overlook fleabay! I got my Mitu digital mic and digital calipers very affordably priced. Under $50 for each.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve bought a couple of dial type Mitutoyo used. One metric one in inches for under $50.each. That both work well. The only thing I don’t like I s that one has metric and inches on the scale and that drives me nuts. It’s the same for me with tape measures. I can work with on or the other, but when there’s a different scale on each side, that always gets me screwed up. Used tools can be a good deal.

You can pay what you want but for reloading the HF ones are more than accurate enough.
    Of course, if impressing people go for the high dollar ones.

Boolit Master

I've got 2 of the Mitutoyo dial types. Got them at work because everybody wanted the digitals. I couldn't argue with the price($0). Both had been certified before being put back in storage.

I don't care for the digitals because I know I would probably need them and the battery would be dead. Besides, I kind of like to use the ole brain to read the dial.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    I use Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo.

Boolit Master

I have a pretty old Craftsman dial caliper made in Japan. I suspect they were manufactured for Craftsman by Mitutoyo.

That said old eyes have me reaching for my Harbor Freight Pittsburgh digital calipers more often than not. Besides I really like being able to switch between inch, mm and fractions at the push of a button (for other than reloading purposes). So far it's been flawless as compared to a General brand I got at Lowes a while back (they go through batteries fast).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I still have my father's vernier calipers. Just as accurate as ever and nothing to go wrong. I just need a magnifier to read them now.
    How many of you remember the slide rule? The original calculator!

Boolit Master
    I try my best to not buy made in china stuff. if I had to do it again I would still buy used starrett or mityoto or made in us brown and Sharpe or fowler if I wasn't willing or able to pay the price for new.
    pay once for a top quality tool and you will never need to buy another as long as you take care of your stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

You would love the helios then they are old enough they have he .200 dial on them ( 0 - .100 - 0 )

Boolit Master

When Enco was around, before it was swallowed up by MSC (Manhatten Supply Co.) they'd have really good sales on things like dial calipers. I've bought several marked SPI (Swiss Precision Industries = China) and I'm still using them not only at the loading bench but my machine shop duties.

Twenty-five years or so ago Midway sold a digital caliper for $20 on sale. I still have it and as long as you keep some spare batteries they work fine. The caveat is you can defeat them with excessive pressure, the reading will change. They actually go out 4 places .000x".

Vernier calipers are more accurate than dial or digital calipers. They got easier to use when they went from 25 to 50 divisions but I'd need glasses to use them anymore. Don't discount vernier calipers because they don't have that sexy dial.

It helps to have some "standards" to check your measuring tools.

The ones from Harbor Freight will suffice nicely for the loading bench.

Dutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast