MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox PBcastco

Thread: Gator Gas Check Problem

Gator Gas Check Problem

I have some gator gas checks that are supposed to be for the .348 Win. I have an accurate bulled mold for casting .348 gas check boolits. The gas checks fit the shank properly. The problem I am having is seating and sizing. I made my own lubrisizer die sizing to .348. The force required to seat the check compresses the boolit and shaves the sides. Band diameter of my boolit as cast is .349-.350. Diameter of the gas check is .356. Is this the proper size for the gas check or is it to big? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I may possibly make another sizing die or two in larger sizes.

You could anneal them by floating on your molten alloy, maybe in a spoon to keep them clean. Perhaps your alloy could be softer. There is no need for a super hard bullet in that old girl. I have Hornady that measure .354 and some vintage lymans that measure a svelt .350

Boolit Master

I only size my bullets with push through dies. I don't expect you would have any issues that way. I lube my bullets in an H and I size die .001" larger than bullet size. Trying to size bullets in the lubesizer I never could get bullets to enter the die straight, thus resulting in damaged bullets.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMT480 View Post
    I have some gator gas checks that are supposed to be for the .348 Win. I have an accurate bulled mold for casting .348 gas check boolits. The gas checks fit the shank properly. The problem I am having is seating and sizing. I made my own lubrisizer die sizing to .348. The force required to seat the check compresses the boolit and shaves the sides. Band diameter of my boolit as cast is .349-.350. Diameter of the gas check is .356. Is this the proper size for the gas check or is it to big? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I may possibly make another sizing die or two in larger sizes.
    Did you bevel the entry opening of your sizer die? This is crucial to prevent shaving.

What I ended up doing is tapering the entry of the die and polishing it a little more than I had done previously. Works like a champ now. Thank you for the comments.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk