Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Scam Powder sites on line?

Scam Powder sites on line?

I have been looking for Alliant Steel powder for a few weeks now and cant seem to find it from any of the usual sources (midway brownells etc). What I am finding is a few sites that appear to have powder in stock for almost too good to be true prices. I am curious if anyone has used these sellers or if they are scammers.

The first one has an address in Alabama, but google earth shows it to be a trashed out private residence. Here: https://firelineacademy.com/product/...-steel-powder/

The second one has poor English and a strange URL ending in .us. It also claims to have win SPP for 33/1000, which i find hard to believe. Here:
    https://firearmsshop.us/product/alliant-steel/

I would love to hear from anyone who has used these sites, successfully or otherwise.

Thanks, Ateam.

I’ve seen one of those sites too. My advice, save yourself time and trouble by not even looking at them.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Just pay with Venmo or Zelle. What could possibly go wrong?

Any site with such conditions is obviously a fraud.

Interesting, I didn't even make it to the payment options before my scam detector started to twitch. Too bad, I would like to find some alliant steel. Stacked the other powders I use deep when they were cheap, just never foresaw getting into water fowling. Maybe a post in the S&S will produce something...

Just DON'T. way too many scammers...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

About ordered from a site a while back that showed a older scope model in stock but before I did, I googled them to check. Turns out they take your money, then tell you it is out of stock but will ship in 6-8 weeks or what ever and hold on to your money until you do something about it with the cc company. I am sure a few folks even forget about it completely. Stick to the folks you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My 1st instinct on a subject is generally right. So is yours! Avoid that transaction. In fact, RUN FROM IT!

banger

My first thought was; if midway cant get it and these yahoos have it for cheap, something doesn't line up. Thanks for the input, I will try the swapping and selling maybe I can find someone local that wants to trade powders.

Boolit Buddy
    What SF said, stick to well known sites and never pay with anything that's equivalent to cash.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master

I almost bought from a sight not long ago but put it up here and was thankfully warned off.

The advice to buy in person or from reputable dealers like Midway, Powder Valley etc is a good one
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The site was registered in 10-2021, the registrant addresses scream "scam". "Medical pharmacy" as business for the domain registration... Phone number is registered for a "vapepodsystem.com".... Pretty much "nobody" in the whole U.S. has the listed items in stock and they have everything at below market prices... Smells like scam?

Registrant Name: Thomas Molly
    Registrant Organization: Medical pharmacy
    Registrant Street: 1660 Duck St. Pahrump, CA 89060-1042
    Registrant Street: 730 San Vicente Blvd Santa Monica, CA 90402
    Registrant Street:
    Registrant City: Los Angeles
    Registrant State/Province: CA
    Registrant Postal Code: 91331
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.9165871931
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of scam sites popping up. Powder, bullets and primers, all at lower than market prices. Lots of people have gotten "taken" by these people. Many people complaining about sending money and no product, but only asking about a site once it is too late.
    As the old saying goes "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Usually only Venmo or Zelle to pay is the first clue you better watch out.

Boolit Master
    I can add nothing to what's already been said about how assiduously these sites should by avoided. A plague on the houses of all who operate them.

What I'M mystified about is why the ATFE & FBI can't EACH spare two agents to go after these creeps and rid the net (in the U.S., at least) of scam artists like these. Granted, there are probably greater threats to national security than THESE ferrets, but they're playing fast & loose with official U.S. documents (unbeknownst to the true owners I presume?) and placing the safe and unfettered exercise of interstate commerce in danger. SURELY there are sufficient grounds for it to be a matter for federal law enforcement. Perhaps it's time to fire off a letter to our U.S. Reps & Senators about this stuff.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I gotta think we experienced reloaders with more than a few decades of reloading purchases under our belts are unlikely to fall for these shysters, but the new and desperate for supplies reloaders are prime targets.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    It is the time to look at new sites that we find very thoroughly. I found a sight that had magazines that I needed and when I put in my order with a credit card, I received an email stating that we no longer take cards but use Vanilla gift cards, crypto or venmo, by the way we will destroy your credit card information. I immediately cancelled the card and learned a lesson.

Boolit Master
    If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Just saying.....
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

unbelievable how many scam websites are popping up for literally everything. Sellers on amazon selling fakes and cheap chinese knockoffs of everything you can imagine too. Ebay scammers used to be easy to spot, though not anymore. Sometimes those are really hard to tell from legit sellers as well. I've gotten to the point where I am buying from the manufacturers websites when available when I can't find anyplace to verify the authentic stuff. And even then I've found a lot of fake storefronts. Even came across a fake "website verification" website when looking for something last week.

Stuck buying a lot online these days and it sucks. the brick and mortar stores in my local area are literally almost all gone. very few left. down to walmart, home depot, a half dozen furniture stores and second hand stores. almost all the other retail is gone. Even most of the clothing retail here bailed.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I have been looking for Alliant Steel powder for a few weeks now and cant seem to find it from any of the usual sources (midway brownells etc). What I am finding is a few sites that appear to have powder in stock for almost too good to be true prices. I am curious if anyone has used these sellers or if they are scammers.

The first one has an address in Alabama, but google earth shows it to be a trashed out private residence. Here: https://firelineacademy.com/product/...-steel-powder/

The second one has poor English and a strange URL ending in .us. It also claims to have win SPP for 33/1000, which i find hard to believe. Here:
    https://firearmsshop.us/product/alliant-steel/

I would love to hear from anyone who has used these sites, successfully or otherwise.

Thanks, Ateam.
    Scroll down I posted a scam sites thread on how to ID them. First IS a valid FFL, address checks out... I dodn't check them on Scam Advisor though.

Second one run away, no address anywhere, no phone number, really bad site design...

Boolit Grand Master
    it's good you checked the location
    most wouldn't have done that
    it is always best to go to places where you have been before
    because if the deal is to good to be true, it usually is
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    What I'M mystified about is why the ATFE & FBI can't EACH spare two agents to go after these creeps….
    The ATF has their hands full trying to round up ghost and machine gun components while the FBI can’t spare any of the agents they’re assigned to tracking domestic terrorist parents. So Caveat Emptor.