Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Does anyone still tie their own flies??

Does anyone still tie their own flies??

Seems like the outdoorsman section gets pretty much ignored, but should you tie your own flies, please drop me a line.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

I was a very modest fly tier mostly little chenille bug and a few small poppers and steamers. It as fun and relaxing. I found that my hand tied lasted longer than the purchased. I mostly fished farm ponds for bluegill and bass.But we also made a couple late season runs to the walleye run on the maummee with weighted lines and streamers

PM sent.

Waiting to hear from you with bated breath.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I tie my own, but not nearly as many as I used to. I have enough flies tied to last me two lifetimes. My father passed away a few years back at the age of ninety. He tied for several sporting goods stores in the area and I had to deliver his last orders to the shops after he passed. He’d tied 1,200 dozen flies twice a year to the shops. I delivered his last order order. That’s 14,400 flies twice a year!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Tie a lot up here…. Silver salmon and all sorts of fish love to take fly…. Been working on Swimming Jimmys…
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I used to....... almost all squirrel hair, rabbit hair, and English Shepherd hair streamers. But I have a lifetime supply tied up and haven't done any in a while. I really need to start doing poppers. Those little globs of cork and feather are pricey now!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I tie my own flies and have for years. I fish a lot for trout in lakes and reservoirs here in the intermountain area of California, Nevada and Oregon. I tie my own particular style that seems to work for me quite well and, of course, some of the classic leech patterns. Fly tying is very relaxing for me and I love to experiment with new patterns..just like I love to check out new handload recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I used to....... almost all squirrel hair, rabbit hair, and English Shepherd hair streamers. But I have a lifetime supply tied up and haven't done any in a while. I really need to start doing poppers. Those little globs of cork and feather are pricey now!!
    Size 6 or 8 long shank streamer hook. Lay a thread base down, tie on a little bunch of bright colored feather.
    Take a piece of craft foam 2mm thick, 1/4" wide and an inch long. roll it up on the shaft and lay just enough thread wraps to hold it in place. Super glue or the new LED glue helps. Whip finish, hang to dry. Paint with cheap dollar store and second hand store nail polish.

Some colors glow in UV light. White with Red or Pink has always been good for me, yellow is #2.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Mold
    I tie my own flies as well! Lately super simple Euro Nymph patterns. I have seen my success in catching fish increase using euro nymphing techniques. Nothing beats catching fish with a fly you tied!

Package arrived, great feathers! Many thanks!

OP if you will PM me your name address I'd be glad to cut a check for postage.
    Or, I can just owe you a favor to be determined at a later date.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

I've been tying since before I was a teenager. Over 40 years and counting. My Dad recently stopped tying, as his fingers aren't so good anymore, and gave me his 60+ years of accumulated materials and tools. So now I tie for the both of us.
    Funny thing, even though I've got several lifetimes worth of materials, I can always somehow manage to walk out of a fly shop with something new to experiment with.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Master
    I used to tie but stopped when I moved, now you've twigged my interest, I'll have to go open up some boxes, and tie up some leeches, and streamers, the walleye season opens here in about 4 months, that should be enough time to get some made up, maybe I should do some buck tails as well. Now look what you've done I haven't finished one project and now another is starting! swmbos gonna want your head on a stick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishties.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	296457

Just a taste of what I've made the last week. Mostly Angelina fiber on a variety of hook sizes. From Panfish up to pike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	296458

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.

praise glorious!

I am just getting into it and pick at it , I got just about all I need . Just need to find the time to do it at times. Always interested in new ways and how to do it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve never tied flies, but made a lot of lures for deep sea trolling. I got tired of fish too big for my tackle taking everything and having to replace the lures. Those things weren’t cheap and my homemade ones worked just as well.