Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a Remington model 14 in 35 rem.

Boolit Master

Thoughts on a Remington model 14 in 35 rem.

I see these old rifles from time to time at the lgs and wondered if they tend to funtion well?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Yes they do, if its in good shape with all the parts present. There are really no spares and only one gunsmith that really knows much about them. Go over to the Remington Society and read up on them. I love mine, and have formed a habit of buying most of them I come across! The M141 is the same basic gun with mostly cosmetic changes, from a shooters perspective.
    They can be rough on brass, kinda chew on the rims. They don’t have much caming action for extraction, but the pressures are low and I have no issues with extraction. Also they are not tolerant of any cartridge that is over the factory listed COAL, the tieup on a long one is epic! The expert gunsmith says not to shoot cast in them, mine have shot nothing but cast, so take that with a grain of salt. The RCBS 200 and it’s clones is fantastic in the 14 and 141 rifles I have in 35 Rem. The 31141 works great in the 30 Rem, but pay attention to COAL.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    TY RK, that is the kind of info i was looking for. Got my eye on one now. I notice brass is a bit short on supply ( Starline does not list it ) but it is out there.

Boolit Master
    30 Rem?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

YMMV, but FWIW I long lusted for a .35 Remington pumpgun, when I finally found a pristine Model 141 in .35.

While it was a fine-looking & functioning gun, it was a ton heavier than the lightweight deer guns I was used to using - and it was quite noisy to carry and cycle.

Since it didn't live up to my expectations of 40-odd years ago, AND I am now much older (now preferring light wands for toting around hunting) - I passed it on to another who likewise lusted for one.

The moral of my story is that those rifles were designed long ago, well before the modern guns that have been around for the last 30 years - so just be careful what you wish for.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    30 Rem?
    No, 35

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

YMMV, but FWIW I long lusted for a .35 Remington pumpgun, when I finally found a pristine Model 141 in .35.

While it was a fine-looking & functioning gun, it was a ton heavier than the lightweight deer guns I was used to using - and it was quite noisy to carry and cycle.

Since it didn't live up to my expectations of 40-odd years ago, AND I am now much older (now preferring light wands for toting around hunting) - I passed it on to another who likewise lusted for one.

The moral of my story is that those rifles were designed long ago, well before the modern guns that have been around for the last 30 years - so just be careful what you wish for.

I have a lot of choices for deer hunting that are light weight. If Henry made their single shot in 35 rem. I would get one and not look back. But these are very nice historical pieces. Not going to pay a grand for one. The one I'm looking at was made about 1926 and is in very good shape for it's age.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 01-22-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Mine function fine, have a Model 14 in 30 Rem and 30 and 35 Rem Model 141s. I mostly shoot 170 gr FP cast bullets in the Model 14 & 141 30 Remingtons. Also have Model 8 semi autos in 30 and 35 Rem, and model 81 in 300 Savage.

I don't think the pumps feel that heavy, but I grew up packing the model 8 30 Remington, it was my first deer rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Mine function fine, have a Model 14 in 30 Rem and 30 and 35 Rem Model 141s. I mostly shoot 170 gr FP cast bullets in the Model 14 & 141 30 Remingtons. Also have Model 8 semi autos in 30 and 35 Rem, and model 81 in 300 Savage.

I don't think the pumps feel that heavy, but I grew up packing the model 8 30 Remington, it was my first deer rifle.
    If I hunt deer with it I will be sitting on a stool in a blind anyway. Mostly i will be clanging gongs with my cast handloads. Steel buttplates and walnut.........

Banned
    i got a rem 14 in 30 rem. the rifle chamber has no freebore area, it goes from the end of the neck to the throat. i have to take it to my gunsmith and have a freebore area put in so the remington will shoot my 165gr ranch dogs. the m14 shoots well, 170gr sierra, 1 3/4 - 2 1/4" at 100 yards/5 shots/bench), but "i gotta have cast!!!!!!!"

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n...308Chamber.jpg or https://www.sportingshooter.com.au/a...-no-impediment

Boolit Master
    Wholeheartedly agree with rking. It seems like the 30 is more prone to brass abuse than the others. There's a family that we hunt with that has nothing but pump everything that swears the 14 is superior. The grandfather does some stoning on the unlocking mechanism that makes them glass smooth to operate. I've never been much of a pump rifle guy - but a 14 1/2 in 44-40 looks like a fun rig.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with rking. It seems like the 30 is more prone to brass abuse than the others. There's a family that we hunt with that has nothing but pump everything that swears the 14 is superior. The grandfather does some stoning on the unlocking mechanism that makes them glass smooth to operate. I've never been much of a pump rifle guy - but a 14 1/2 in 44-40 looks like a fun rig.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

when i tried to strip down to basic parts, i gave up, mostly i have one hand. i gave it to my gunsmith to strip down and clean it(i bought it at a auction). he did and it is amazing. its like sliding glass, the m14 is better than my dad's and my son's m760. i don't know about the stoning, but whatever he did, i love it!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    TY RK, that is the kind of info i was looking for. Got my eye on one now. I notice brass is a bit short on supply ( Starline does not list it ) but it is out there.

i bought 100 cases from grafs, but its not there now.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have a 14 in .32 Remington and a 141 in .35 Remington . The 14 is a lot lighter feeling than the 141 . The 14 was made in 1921 and the 141 in 1936 . Haven't settled on a load for the .35 yet but I like 34.5 g of IMR 4320 and the 170g Hornady .321 FP in the .32 .

Got a model 25 in 25-20 , you flat can't find anyone to fix one of them when they are out of whack .

Here's a picture of the #14 , no current pictures of the other two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem14322.jpg   Rem1432.jpg  
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-23-2022 at 05:55 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

I got my model 14 in 30 Remington and think it is a smooth shooting rifle. It is a first year manufactured rifle with a 4-digit serial number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.22.21 11.0 unique.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	295056

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20210522_084839.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	295057

You won't go wrong by getting one.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I see these old rifles from time to time at the lgs and wondered if they tend to funtion well?
    Imho, they function superbly! I had a Model 14 made in 1918 -- s/n in the 60,000s -- in .35 Remington which both never failed and was indeed a tack driver! I will add, though, that due to the age of the firearm I only loaded/shot quite mild cast bullet loads. Great for target, and fun to shoot! In owning it I corresponded with a gentleman named Ken Blauch who authored a magnificant work on the Model 14. (So sadly, I heard Ken passed a year or two (?) ago... I hope I'm wrong!)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington_14x300.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	295058
    Anyhoos -- I got my copy of this book from Ken... If you can find a copy, it is (imho) worth every penny one might give for it!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Well, I let the one I was interested in go. There are some rural gunshows coming up that may good bets to find some old beauties. I did learn a good deal about these interesting rifles along the way.

i bought my rem 141 in 35 rem pretty cheap because it has a non factory receiver sight on it, its in ex condition and shoots rem factory 200 gr rn corelocks into 2" groups at 100 yards. i also don,t think its too heavy.

Boolit Mold
    This thread got me looking up manufacture dates on my Model 14 and 141s. https://www.remingtonsociety.org/serials-model-14/

My Model 14 30 Remington was made in 1914.
    My Model 141 30 Remington was made in 1940.
    My Model 141 35 Remington was made in 1946.

I have a 14 in 30, 35, and a 14 1/2 in 44wcf.
    They all shoot very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast